General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

anybody fly and ride around sydney?

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2009, 09:17 PM
bmaier
Road Warrior
Received 99 Likes on 67 Posts
Default anybody fly and ride around sydney?

the wife and I are going to Australia and New Zealand December 29th through Jan 15 and are planning to do a fly and ride in Sydney Jan 2nd and 3rd. Anybody know anyone who has any experience riding down under, what to see, where to go. I know I'll be riding on left side. I've got an email in to the Sydney Hog Chapter to see if we can go along with a ride on those dates since it'll be a Saturday and Sunday. Thanks

Old 10-16-2009, 10:18 PM
Xcrossbow
Stellar HDF Member
Received 279 Likes on 177 Posts

I believe KingKingKing is from down under and you could do a search "for coming to American in 2010" because that group is doing a trip over here. Maybe one of these folks will reply and be able to give you some good info.

Old 10-16-2009, 11:14 PM
dgretz
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have done 2 fly and rides from Sydney but both where 2 weeks. With only two days you will have limited range. From Fraser's HD you can continue up the highway to the Blue Mtns. and do something in the area (like Jelonian(spelling?) Caves) and then over to the Hunter Valley Wine area then back to Fraser's

Old 10-17-2009, 10:40 AM
IzzoQuazzo
Retired Admin

Received 9,041 Likes on 3,711 Posts

Does Trivetts HD have fly and ride? They are the closest to the Sydney airport. Sydney is a bit hard to get around without a GPS. I took a TomTom down there in October of 2007 and used it in my rental car. Worked great. What DGretz says is very true. You can go up to the Blue mountains and check out some of the sights there and then swing up into the Hunter Valley wine country, but you'll miss all of the great things to do IN Sydney itself. You have to see the Harbour Bridge, Opera House, Botanical Gardens just to name a few.

Old 10-17-2009, 01:33 PM
Peculierboy
Tourer
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I've done a Fly/Ride out of Sydney, but we did 2 weeks as well and #1 on what dgretz said, with only two days, go up or down the coast. The Jenolan caves were awesome, but that is a long day ride to get there, not all the cave tours run all the time, they are staggered, so you may end up waiting...If it were me, I'd make the most of the riding time and ride north to the Hunter Valley or south to Kiama or Gerringong. Two awesome roads were The Putty Road and Bells Line of Road, both doable form Sydney. I know Frasers moved, so I'm not sure where they are in the city now, and yes, it is confusing getting around Sydney, as you can't turn right (think left turn) from alot of streets in the city. My only comment on riding with a HOG chapter is, depending on where they go, you may be in for a more 'social' ride that doesn't go anywhere, so it depends on what you want to see....

Old 10-17-2009, 02:48 PM
IzzoQuazzo
Retired Admin

Received 9,041 Likes on 3,711 Posts

Just did a search and Trivett HD doesn't do Fly and Ride. Too bad, they are only a mile or so north of the airport on O'Riordan Road. It would be real easy to get to by taxi and there's a couple of reasonably priced hotels nearby.

Old 10-18-2009, 08:31 PM
bmaier
Road Warrior
Received 99 Likes on 67 Posts

thanks for all the great input. interesting about trivetts HD not doing fly and ride. I'll call HOG tomorrow and find out what dealership they are using out of Sydney. We are going to spend four days in Sydney but doing a Harbor Cruise the night of December 31st to ring in the New Years before everyone else, and also hiking the Harbor Bridge. We are staying at Marriott Harbor at Circular Quay with a view of the Harbor and Opera House. Unfortunately just two days set aside for the Fly and Ride. The Blue Mountains and Hunter Valley Wine Area sound like what we're looking for. Good point about riding with the local chapter could possibly end up be more of a socializing ride than seeing as much as we can. We want to make the most of our two days riding there. We have a twelve day cruise from Sydney to Auckland New Zealand to wrap up the vacation.

Old 10-18-2009, 09:07 PM
Peculierboy
Tourer
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

The Fly/Rides are out of Fraser HD http://harley-davidson.frasermotorcy...ikes_intro.php
Nice dealership, good people.

Old 10-18-2009, 09:41 PM
tenn.vol.
Road Captain
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Wife and I did the Auckland to Sydney love boat ride in Feb. 08. Spent 3 days
in Sydney, never seen traffic like that. Rode the sky rail (?) into the harbor,all
day ticket was cheap. Wanted to rent a car, but was too intemidated by the
traffic. IF the ride does not come together, take the GRAY LINE tour to the
blue mountains and three sisters. Its an all day tour.
Also go to a intersection with 4 or 5 lanes of traffic (not a round-about)
and watch people make a right hand turn!!!! CRAZY
Have a nice 12 hr. flight out LAX!!!! Tenn.Vol.

OH yes, even with the traffic being like a mad house, I only seen one auto
that had a crumpled fender. Drivers were so courties to other vehicles, not
like I am accustomed to in the U.S.

Old 10-19-2009, 12:33 AM
rooshooter
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yep as suggested a couple of replies back 2 days is not a lotta time. go for a cruise out to the blue mountains and hunter valley wineries
and good luck with the l/h side of the road as i am sure it will be a challenge for me when i come over your way next year, riding on the right side
i will not be lookin forward to any heavy traffic while im gettin used to it
and yeah i reckon the rides with local hog chapters could be a little too social to enable ya ta have a decent look around
cheers
pat from oz [outback queensland the best state]
ps do not just ride around sydney cuz traffic can be bloody awful

Quick Reply: anybody fly and ride around sydney?