General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Used Bike prices falling?

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2009 | 03:13 AM
HarleypsychRN
Road Master

Originally Posted by TRVSDAD
People have been living beyond their monetary means for twelve years now. The economy is in the toilet where it will stay for years to come. All this debt will have to be paid or the losses absorbed before we as a country will see any sort of recovery. You cant mop up twelve years in twelve months. Its going to get much worse. Sorry its a fact. Expect prices on used bikes to continue to drop.
HD had quite a run though before things went south. I remember Mike's HD in DE trying to sell me a Fat Boy they had on the floor for $20,000 in 2000 (they did offer $1000 in leather). Waiting a full year for my bike from another deal and they acted like they were doing me a favor selling me a bike. How times have changed!

Old 10-17-2009 | 06:30 AM
wtxriders
|
Advanced
Default The bubble has burst

I went to dealer to trade my old EVO EG for an 03 anniversy addition EG and was told he'd take a deposit and order me one and expect to wait 6-7 months. I'd traded with him for @20 years and laughed in his face. A 100th addition was cool but it was just another harley to me. He agreed and laughed with me said HD market is crazy. He owned his dealership since 71 and said with the market so high he was going reap the profits (1500 - 2K over list price) and then put his dealership up for sale and retire which he did in 05.

The new owner immediately expanded the store to twice the size, twice the employees, twice the overhead, open 6 day a week insted of monday off. Local HOG group doubled in size. Now he's really worried

Seems everyone and thier dog bought an 03. People who had never owned a harley had to have one and paid out the a$$ to get one. Made me proud to ride my 80K mile EVO.

Fast foward to today. I can buy a 09 SG with 625 mile on it for 16200 (what he owes) from an individual. Dealers want @ 17900. He has had it on ebay, craigs list, local paper, carlot for about two months. I advertised mine for 16,000 @1,000 less than area dealers and never got an offer.

Moral: You have to spend money to make money. You have to jump in and go or get past by. That is the american way and it made us the world power. but greed by leaners and the market blew it

The real problem is John Wayne died and there isn't a replacement.
And we now have O (oh) B (bad) A (***) M (mistake) A (america)

Old 10-17-2009 | 06:42 AM
KBrown53
Road Captain

There is a good news side of that too. Some very good buys out there on late model, low milage bikes. I got a very good buy on an 09 wiht only 1300 miles

Old 10-17-2009 | 07:20 AM
Notgrownup
Seasoned HDF Member

Now is the best time to buy a buy if you are in the south...Look North Son...Sell in the spring...

Old 10-17-2009 | 08:42 AM
Fast FLHX
Road Master

Give it a couple of years. The decrease in production is going to increase the price of used bikes in the long run.

Old 10-17-2009 | 11:04 AM
groupw
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by TRVSDAD
The economy is in the toilet where it will stay for years to come. ... Its going to get much worse. Sorry its a fact. Expect prices on used bikes to continue to drop.
........ so, fall '11 is when i should start lookin' @ low mile '09 RG's, eh ? Sounds like a plan.

Old 10-17-2009 | 01:30 PM
leohd
Ultimate HDF Member

look'n to steal a 09/10 used road glide but mostly evrybody is asking what I can get a brand new one for, if anybody hears of any, pm or email me..Thanks

Old 10-17-2009 | 04:21 PM
lh4x4
Extreme HDF Member

Book wholesale on My 07 FXSTC was $11,700/ I got $13k trade in on a 010 Ultra Classic. I had it for sale on this forum and craig's list with out a single person checking on it. So trading was the only way to go. It also saved me almost $1k in sales tax.

I had it listed for $13,750 OBO with free enclosed delivery within 500 miles.

The dealer was not wanting to go the $13k I wanted for the trade. When I said "You mean I rode over here with the bike, title and check book for nothing?"
He jumped at the deal.

Everyone hang in there that wants to sell. With fewer bikes sold in 08,09 and the reduced production for 2010 the demand for late model bikes will cause the used price to go up because there will be less on the market. The slow improvement of the economy will increase the demand in the next two to three years and the supply will be low.

Last edited by lh4x4; 10-17-2009 at 04:25 PM.
Old 10-17-2009 | 04:36 PM
JonnyD
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by leohd
look'n to steal a 09/10 used road glide but mostly evrybody is asking what I can get a brand new one for, if anybody hears of any, pm or email me..Thanks
So after all the insults and lurking in the classifieds, you finally come out of the closet! I think several people on here owe you a blanket party beating!!

Last edited by JonnyD; 10-17-2009 at 04:41 PM.
Old 10-17-2009 | 04:54 PM
leohd
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by JonnyD
So after all the insults and lurking in the classifieds, you finally come out of the closet! I think several people on here owe you a blanket party beating!!
I ain't out of the closet yet, I'm just curious what could be so great about a road glide for someone to ride something so damn fugly, I already owned almost every model except sportsters.

Quick Reply: Used Bike prices falling?