General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Used Bike prices falling?

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2009 | 07:15 PM
Ramrod1
Intermediate

Originally Posted by wtxriders
Anyone tried to trade a late model for a 2010 model. Seem dealers in my area are giving less and less for used bikes as the new ones are'nt selling and dealers have too many used bikes.

My dealer want about 6K to trade 08 SG with 4K milesand 1,500 in add ons for a 2010 SG. Any thoughts???
I gave 9 grand an a 04 RK Custom with 58,000 smiles for a 09 Classic back in March. I'd wait till spring, the stealer will want your business more both ways then, at least if your from "up north".

Old 10-16-2009 | 08:46 PM
Cruiser

There's a shortage of good quality bikes up here in the great white north, and with our canadian dollar nearing par alot of guys are looking down south for bikes.

Old 10-16-2009 | 08:50 PM
PYR8
Intermediate

They sure don't seem to be falling on the mass market meters: craigslist and ebay. At least not around here. Seems like most individuals around my parts are asking within a few grand of a new bike for something older, and higher mileage than that.

Don't know if any of them are selling them though.

Old 10-16-2009 | 10:30 PM
Streetrunner
Outstanding HDF Member

My dealer offered me 10,500 for my '06 SG on a trade. Of course I laughed at them. They would turn around and put a 14 or 15K price tag on my bike.Thats the reason they have so many used bikes on hand, they want to steal your bike and sell it for a larger profit than they make on a new purchase. STEALERS!

Old 10-16-2009 | 10:53 PM
tat2dup
Intermediate

When I saw the '10 FLTRX, I had to have one. When I went to talk to the dealer I bought my '08 from he said he could give me 13, maybe 13,500 for my '08 RG with 7500 miles on it!!!! I could have punched him right there. I went to another dealer and they gave me almost 17 for it right off the bat. They also said if the another dealership would beat that then come back and they would step up. I'd shop around, make them compete for your business!!

Old 10-16-2009 | 11:40 PM
2nd Mike
Tourer

It's all supply and demand.

A few years ago you were lucky if you could get a new Harley the same year you ordered one.

Everyone was buying.
Used bikes were at a premium as they were all that were readily available.

Fast forward to today.

The economy has tanked.
New and used bike sales have slowed or stopped.

HD has laid off workers because of a lack of demand.

Many from all walks of life have needed to dump everything that isn't essential to support their family creating a huge supply of available bikes.

Dealers trades are now based on the fact that they may not sell your bike this year,or possibly the next!

That ties up cash for the ones that have it, or adds interest charges to their "floor plan" for the ones that don't.

The glory days are over for most dealers.

It's a buyer's market.

Old 10-16-2009 | 11:40 PM
DHart
Tourer

Originally Posted by tat2dup
When I saw the '10 FLTRX, I had to have one.
Yep... sounds familiar. A few weeks ago my wife and I visited a local dealer to look at TourPaks for our 2004 Road King Custom. We saw the black demin 2010 FLTRX and next thing... we're test riding 2010 RGs SGs and EGs. That's all it took. Goodbye '04 RKC. Dealer offered me 10 for the RKC with 30k miles on it. I would have taken that, BUT found a buyer a few days later at 11.5. Got the 2010 FLTRX for MSRP, no set-up fees. Done deal for me. Happy camper.

Stick... you've got a very desireable bike to sell, take a little time and sell it privately if you can. With what the dealers are asking for used bikes, you can easily sell one for less than they would ask and still do reasonably well. And at this point, waiting til spring is a good idea... for both the sale of yours and the purchase of the new bike.

For those considering moving from an older bike to a new one... compared to the older bikes, the new bikes have an amazing ride and all the newer features all add up to fantastic!

Last edited by DHart; 10-17-2009 at 12:28 AM.
Old 10-16-2009 | 11:59 PM
stick_hd
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Barrenmug
Theres a reason for only 800 miles. Made a bad purchase, gotta deal with it.
Heres the thread, https://www.hdforums.com/forum/gener...hat-to-do.html

Old 10-17-2009 | 02:50 AM
JonnyD
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by stick_hd
Theres a reason for only 800 miles. Made a bad purchase, gotta deal with it.
Heres the thread, https://www.hdforums.com/forum/gener...hat-to-do.html
OUCH! Man, that's a bitch. When I first saw the pic of you and your friends I thought they were your daughters or something. I would have to agree that the RG might be the better choice for you. Either way you go, your going to have to spend some coin to make a bike comfortable for YOUR frame.

I still can't believe the sales person sold you a deluxe...... I would go back and tell every employee there that he allowed you to ride off on that bike. It may shame him into a better deal.

Good luck!

Old 10-17-2009 | 03:03 AM
DHart
Tourer

I agree that the sales person was totally at fault for not advising against the choice of a Deluxe for a very tall rider... problem is most of them (dealers) are so eager for a sale, they don't want to discourage anything that might cost them a sale.

Quick Reply: Used Bike prices falling?