General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Buell is dead....

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2009, 02:58 PM
schumacher
Club Member
Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Old 10-24-2009, 03:04 PM
ratgin
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The Buell 1125 had to be an embarrassment to Harley. Their first race competitive model in a half century? With an Austrian Rotax engine?

BRP is Canadian. Its a Harley with a Canadian engine built in an Austrian plant. Dont think HD was embarrassed with it as its the only engine in a Harley thats been competitive in 25 yrs.

The picture imprinted on my brain is of Buffet riding away on an 1125R with a big smile

Buffet will be riding away with all of HD shortly unless there is a fast turn around as both those loans are due in 2011 (iirc).

1 Billion in loans at 15% and another 900 million at 1.2% on profits of 150ish million?

Old 10-24-2009, 03:05 PM
schumacher
Club Member
Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by ratgin
The Buell 1125 had to be an embarrassment to Harley. Their first race competitive model in a half century? With an Austrian Rotax engine?

BRP is Canadian. Its a Harley with a Canadian engine built in an Austrian plant. Dont think HD was embarrassed with it as its the only engine in a Harley thats been competitive in 25 yrs.

The picture imprinted on my brain is of Buffet riding away on an 1125R with a big smile

Buffet will be riding away with all of HD shortly unless there is a fast turn around as both those loans are due in 2011 (iirc).

1 Billion in loans at 15% and another 900 million at 1.2% on profits of 150ish million?
Maybe it's time for Harley to have some new ownership. I wonder what Buffet would do with Moco

Old 10-24-2009, 03:58 PM
DoomBuggy
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ratgin
Dont think HD was embarrassed with it as its the only engine in a Harley thats been competitive in 25 yrs.
Let's see a Harley set the land speed record in 1990 that stood until 2006.

Since 2002 Harley has won 17 NHRA Pro Stock Motorcycle drag racing championships

The Harley XR750 has won three consecutive AMA Pro Flat Track Grand National Twin championships.

To say they are not competitive is bull ****, they are just not crotch rockets and never were meant to be. It is like saying a Hemi Cuda never won a formula one race, who gives a rats butt.

Old 10-24-2009, 04:08 PM
OldFenderGuy
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by DoomBuggy
It is like saying a Hemi Cuda never won a formula one race, who gives a rats butt.

Did someone mention "Hemi Cuda"??

And as everyone probably knows they are worth BIG BUCKS today if all original and in excellent condition, but guess how much they were 'back in the day'....

Old 10-24-2009, 04:10 PM
will2002
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2,132 Likes on 1,030 Posts

I never knew untill two weeks ago that there were sooooo many experts on the MOCOs financial situation. I hope that the MOCO knows how to get in touch with all of you people, so that you can help save them.

Old 10-25-2009, 08:32 AM
HunterBLT
Tourer

Originally Posted by OldFenderGuy
Did someone mention "Hemi Cuda"??

And as everyone probably knows they are worth BIG BUCKS today if all original and in excellent condition, but guess how much they were 'back in the day'....

What's funny about this is my Dad was a Chrysler/Plymouth dealer in the late 60's and early 70's. The Hemi Cuda was a pig at the time. They didn't sell well and my dad hated them. He was a big Fury III fan. They sold well. I drove a Superbird, that hadn't sold, to my senior prom. I got laugh at so bad that I took it back to the dealership and got the parts truck and took my date home in that. I was so embarrassed. Boy If I had only known. I would still own that 'Bird.

Old 10-25-2009, 08:45 AM
ratgin
Novice

Originally Posted by DoomBuggy

Since 2002 Harley has won 17 NHRA Pro Stock Motorcycle drag racing championships

Destroyers aren't street legal and dont think drag bike sales will help HD in the long run attract younger riders.

And thats 17 out of 117 races..

The Harley XR750 has won three consecutive AMA Pro Flat Track Grand National Twin championships.

This is a series that might attract more riders but its still a very small group of people who even know about it. HD doesn't even seem to advertise the XR1200 as a flat tracker then they have shut down sportster production as well.

To say they are not competitive is bull ****, they are just not crotch rockets and never were meant to be. It is like saying a Hemi Cuda never won a formula one race, who gives a rats butt.

HD isnt competitive in the large scale market. They were just starting too break out with Buell and AMA Sportbike and reaching a larger audience.

And while the Hemi Cuda didn't race corners its Chrysler big brother did in Nascar and won quite a lot of races.

Who bring in more attention to brand.. Nascar or NHRA?