General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

how long ?

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2009, 08:05 PM
threeten
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BigGdawg
Ride Like a Pro V is a great resource for learning how to put the big Hog thru its paces with confidence.
I second this advice. Another great resource is; Proficient Motorcycling The Ultimate Guide To Riding Well by David Hough.

Old 10-15-2009, 08:43 PM
oldairboater
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Eye opener for me was a kz 900. Major haul *** throttle response. Loved it but I knew my days were numbered if I didn't get my adrenaline habit under control.
Originally Posted by DannyZ71
You should try going from a 650cc Suzuki to a V-Max. The power was a little intimidating until I had gone around the block 2 or 3 times.

Old 10-15-2009, 09:02 PM
2kids3pets
Elite HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Really all depends on you. I picked up my first Harley last week after being out of the saddle for 25 yrs, before that I had mini bikes as a kid and dirt bikes and a Goldwing in my 20's. I can tell you when I picked the bike up after being check over by the local dealer I really felt awkward, the bike has a completely different feel from what I remember a Goldwing being. I sure the boys at the shop had a good laugh watching me tool around the lot and side streets around the dealer. I have put on about 100 miles and I feel right at home on the bike but there is still the odd time I get caught of gaurd but it will improve the more I ride

Old 10-16-2009, 05:32 AM
MadcapMagician
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I appreciate all the responses, a lot of good advice there, I was lucky enough to get the last spot in my local rider safety program on the 17th =) I'm looking forward to that. and I noticed that some of you guys nailed one of my concerns on the head... other drivers... gonna have to grow a third eye in the back of my head =P I have the perfect road to ride on here back raod going to my local college some nice turns in it to get used to ... just wish the highway patrol here in California werent sticklers for having the lil M on your license ... dont wanna lose my ride while getting some time in the seat... they have a tendency to impound your ride if you dont have a license ... whether u have ins. or not... so come this week end ill be in that class absorbing as much knwoledge as i can just like a sponge... funny thing is just from the quick jaunts around the block im jonesing to get out there ... lol

anyway guys.. thanx again for all the good advice =)

peace andGod bless =)

Old 10-16-2009, 06:54 AM
BigGdawg
Club Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by threeten
I second this advice. Another great resource is; Proficient Motorcycling The Ultimate Guide To Riding Well by David Hough.
I just finished that one myself and I have to agree. http://www.epinions.com/review/Profi...t_487553011332

Last edited by BigGdawg; 10-16-2009 at 07:02 AM.