General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

how long ?

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2009, 08:24 AM
will2002
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2,132 Likes on 1,030 Posts

I actually can't remember that far back!

Old 10-15-2009, 08:28 AM
paud
Road Master
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Talk about similarities!
I will be getting a new Fat Boy Lo in a week or so and my early riding days are exactly like yours swamp. A gold colored tank on my 350! hahahahha

Originally Posted by Swamp Tiger
I returned to riding six years ago after going over 25 years without riding, so I can understand you may be a little bit anxious about becoming comfortable with your bike. Before I purchased my first Harley in 2003, I had never ridden anything larger than a Honda 350 --- and I had not done that since 1976.

I don't recall it taking long to become reasonably acquainted with the feel and handling of the bike, but I was careful to select roads and riding conditions during those first few weeks where I would not be forced to ride beyond my skills and experience --- tried to select side roads with minimal traffic. I still made some newbie mistakes, but I did not get hurt or wreck the bike because I was in riding in areas where I could make mistakes and not get run over by a semi.

Just take your time so that you can develop a good feel on how you and the bike will respond under different riding conditions. Close calls are going to happen throughout your riding life, so you have to develop sufficient confidence with your bike to respond to all the things that can happen on any ride --- short or long.

If you have not done so already, I would recommend that you take one of the Motorcycle Safety Foundation riding courses or something similar --- that will help you assess your skills and start you down the path of becoming competent with your bike.

Old 10-15-2009, 08:44 AM
username17
Cruiser
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

It took me until my first road trip.
I didn't ride my bike that much, but then I went on a 1500mi trip and really got connected to my bike.
Now I ride every day I can.

I've definitely gotten better at riding, I have a riding buddy but he can't ride a lot.
I need to ride with others to see how I can improve myself.

Old 10-15-2009, 08:53 AM
kudzu35
Road Master
Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

Like many, I started with a Sporty and something else came along and stole my heart. But every day and I do mean every day, I rode that pig religiously. Even if just strolling around my neighborhood at 20mph I rode it. It took me a few weeks before I was comfortable taking it out on the highway but by then I was past the nerves and anxiety I felt. I was there...

I still remember the day that I cracked the throttle for the first time and had that piggy screaming down the on ramp. Flicking on the turn signal was like watching the shuttle take off, then the second snap of the trottle and I was up and running in heavy traffic with nothing around me but Hawaiian air.

Old 10-15-2009, 10:06 AM
oldairboater
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I don't remember ever being uncomfortable. I remember struggling with the clutch when I was around eight but once I mastered feathering the clutch out it was a done deal. Being young I never had the sense to think I could get killed or hurt. Riding is now natural but I do have to constantly stay on my own *** about not overriding my skills and the bike. The temptation to be inattentive and bullet proof through familiarity is strong.

Old 10-15-2009, 10:15 AM
frog13
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

Like a few said, can't really remember that far back, seems like forever. Now, when I got my new RK last year I came off many years of shovelheads. I had ridden the new bikes, but they weren't mine and I had only ridden a couple miles at a time. The nice part was, it took me about 25 miles before I felt very comfortable with it and it handled and performed so much differetly than the shovel, I liked it better every day. Within a week it felt like I had rode it forever.

Old 10-15-2009, 10:16 AM
Healey2Harley
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Check out www.totalmotorcycle.com/school-SectionFive.htm. They give a means of progressing without getting intimadated. It really comes down to saddle time.

Old 10-15-2009, 10:24 AM
BigGdawg
Club Member

I'd advise you to get some training. No matter how coordinated you are, a bike handles totally different from an automobile and there are no protection factors. If you hit or are hit it is you that will absorb the punishment. Ride Like a Pro V is a great resource for learning how to put the big Hog thru its paces with confidence. At his website, mention HD Forums and get $5 off the price. It is worth its weight, believe me.

http://www.ridelikeapro.com/ RLAP company website.

Last edited by BigGdawg; 10-15-2009 at 10:26 AM.
Old 10-15-2009, 10:25 AM
Splatter
Road Master

"comfort" covers a lot of different things. My personal theory is it takes about the same amount of time doing each to get comfortable, but some of those things you won't do as often as others. For example, riding in a straight line doesn't take many days to get comfortable with because you're going to be doing that more than anything else. Taking a 90-degree corner is something you won't do as much so it will take more days, but probably the same number of hours as getting comfortable riding in a straight line. Then you take each situation: riding in traffic, stopping and starting on a hill, doing a U-turn, parking tail-in while others are watching you... each takes about the same amount of practice, it just takes a while to accumulate the hours.

OR you can find the things that make you nervous and go practice the hell out of them. Find a skinny country road and do a couple of hours of U-turns and suddenly U-turns mean nothing. Find a steep hill and practice stopping, holding the bike with the clutch while you smoothly accelerate away. After you get your skills up go after the things that are a little more risky -- purposely ride in bad traffic. Ride in rain.

With constant practive you can become a good, confident rider in a short period of time. Just remember, skills degrade over time so touch-up practice is required once in a while. Fortunately, it's fun.

Old 10-15-2009, 10:27 AM
Lardog666
Elite HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I got back in the saddle after a 6 - 7 year stretch, (I rode a small Yamaha 650 in my 20s & 30s) & it took about 2 - 2.5 hours (the ride home on the backroads between Milwaukee & Madison) to get reaquainted with the physics of a 2 wheeled machine... I do agree with previous posts that a lot of my concerns now are with other drivers on the road, but I don't necessarily avoid in-town driving, I think it actually keeps your skills sharp driving in traffic... The point is relax, go at your own pace, & keep your eyes peeled... Good luck & safe riding

Quick Reply: how long ?