General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Northern Industrial Tools?

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2009, 10:36 PM
Just-a-Guy
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Northern Industrial Tools?

I hope it's not too far afield to post this question here. But I've tried about every search I could think of, and can't come up with much.

I grew up in a mechanic family, and we always had quality tools. Mostly now I have Craftsman tools. I'm not a pro, just a weekend warrior. But I appreciate quality tools and hate garbage ones.

The Northern Tool stuff is very well priced, compared to just about anything. While I normally shun Chinese crap, tools are expensive, and if I could beef up my collection at those prices, and get decent quality, I'd consider it.

Do you guys have any experience with their tools? I mean ratchets, sockets, wrenches, screwdrivers, etc. Are they reasonably good quality, or junk?

TIA,

Mark

Old 10-13-2009, 10:55 PM
John TN
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Some of their stuff is good some junk,,, they have name brands too,,, a lot depends on how much you will use something and sometimes you can just look at it and tell it's junk. I buy some stuff from them,, bought my 80 gal three stage air compressor from them, my shop space heater,, no problems at all, very good price, even bought my deer meat grinder from them,,, they have a lot of stuff.

Old 10-13-2009, 11:42 PM
Silverslider
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default exactly

Exactly what John said. If I know I am going to use something alot I buy quality; sockets, wrenches, torx, allens, impact sockets. If its something I use rarely or consider it disposable I buy cheap. I have a few things form Northern, and Harbor Frieght. Hell, I've been known to pick some things up at Big Lots. You just never know what they might have. I picked up a Monster Maul there 20 years ago for cheap and the thing still splits wood like the day I bought it.

Old 10-14-2009, 12:03 AM
OhioSkully
Club Member
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Iam with the two post above me, Iam an industrial maintenance supervisor worked that industry for years and you get what you pay for.

That being said most all of my tools are MAC, craftsman, SK, Proto etc yes they are high dollar tools but good tools. Now that being said i do have some harbor freight and national tool stuff. Things like the others said that i knew i would tear up or use once or twice. And even some hammers and stuff like that. You just have to use your judgement on it. Buy your self the good quality tools for your everyday high use tools and the items you hardley ever use or use so little you forget you even have them buy at harbor freight if you look it over and think it will work and do what you need it to do once a year or once every cpl years.

Old 10-14-2009, 12:26 AM
lh4x4
Extreme HDF Member
Received 932 Likes on 574 Posts

Northern has the same stuff as Harbor Freight and HF usually is priced lower. Northern does have a more expanded line and parts that HF doesn't. I have used Northern a few times but mostly HF.

HF just had a sale on their torque wrench. 1/2" ft. lbs. $9.95 and I have had mine for 12 years. It is identical to the Sears offering.

HF tools have served me well since the 80's. I do my own maintenance on three motorcycles and six cars and trucks. Use the impact tools and hand tools for many years and none have ever failed or broke. If they did HF has a replacement warranty on them the same as the $$$$$tools.

I have heard the you get what you pay for line all my life. Well how about the swap land in Florida or Enron stock? You can pay more than something is worth quite often in life.

The full set of impact sockets from HF costs the same as a single big name socket. I have had my set since 1984 and heavy use. The 1984 1/2 in. impact wrench for $19.95 is still going. It was getting a little weaker so I went and got a new one. It was still $19.95!!!!

Last edited by lh4x4; 10-14-2009 at 12:35 AM.
Old 10-14-2009, 01:17 AM
vtwin1340
Club Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Northern puts their GearWrench stuff on sale often, good quality and very functional.

Old 10-14-2009, 03:20 AM
CroK
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ditto the other posts...

Just use 'em like BIC lighters, use em til they break and get another. I'm not cheap, I'm just thrifty!

Old 10-14-2009, 05:49 AM
Da Gumpmeister
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Whether HF or Northern is "less expensive", I do not know. I STOP at Northern. Go right by their new store on Hwy 65 (Central). I like to be able to pick it up, look at it, feel it, etc. THEN I'll make the call.
Some is okay, some is junk.

With the cost o' shipping, now days, I avoid mail order. Takes NO TIME to eat up the original 'savings' IF you have to return it.

JUMFUO, as "ooze-ual".

Old 10-14-2009, 06:28 AM
skootchnc
Grand HDF Member
Veteran: Air Force
Received 501 Likes on 259 Posts

I picked up a set of "pittsburg" wrenches at NT. (made in China) I keep the roll in my saddlebag. Great tools for those "side of the road" repairs. And the best part, if I help a stranded rider, I can willingly, tell him, to "keep the wrench" if they might need further adjustments/repairs.
If they break, get borrowed, get "lost" I'm not out anything

Old 10-14-2009, 07:13 AM
1flhtk4me
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 90 Likes on 67 Posts

I would prefer to buy tools that can easily be returned if broken,not by mail.

Quick Reply: Northern Industrial Tools?