General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Northern Industrial Tools?

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2009, 10:11 AM
piasspj
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 339 Likes on 195 Posts

Originally Posted by skootchnc
I picked up a set of "pittsburg" wrenches at NT. (made in China)............
If they break, ....... I'm not out anything
Did you know that most (if not all) of the Pittsburg tools at HF are lifetime warranty?

Old 10-14-2009, 11:56 AM
hullhorr
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 184 Likes on 182 Posts

I have had good success with HF impact sockets. I just recently had one break, but it's been in my tool box for 20-years. I've purchased from Northern but always the name brand stuff when it was on clearance. For ratchets and stuff like that I stick with Craftsman, MAC, Snap On etc.

Old 10-14-2009, 02:10 PM
CroK
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've got to say here, that lately I have had two different Craftsman ratchets go bad. Both straight out of the box, one wouldn't hold onto sockets because the spring behind the locking ball seems to be missing. And the other a newer one, with the plastic lever to change forward and reverse sticks horribly. Craftsman tools are getting to be worse than what I got from HF. Oh yeh, and the set of laser etched sockets I bought also had 2 that don't have any size etchings on them. Glad I can pretty well tell by looking at them what they are.

Old 10-14-2009, 03:14 PM
harleydavis
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 30 Likes on 21 Posts

I prefer Craftsman due to the ease of returning defective tools.

Old 10-15-2009, 01:15 PM
Just-a-Guy
Road Master

Thanks for the responses. They are very helpful in giving me a sense of what to expect. Some of the NT stuff is so absurdly inexpensive, it is almost weird. Like $9.95 for a torque wrench. I was thinking of getting a 3/4 ratchet and socket set. Very costly from the "good" brands, but you can get a 21 pc set from NT for $79. Problem is, something like that is one thing that, when you need it, you need it to work (and hold up).

Anyway, thanks again, the help is appreciated.

Mark

Old 10-15-2009, 03:53 PM
BB4xl
Road Master

Watch your local classified and sites like craigslist. There are alot of tools on them because of the economy. As said some of the Chinesse stuff will work but some is abolute crap. A freind who is a pro wrench had a HF hammer explode on him beating out a ball joint. A piece lodgged in his chest and had to have it remove surgically.

Old 10-15-2009, 05:22 PM
oct1949
Club Member
Received 819 Likes on 805 Posts

I got a set of basic Craftsman tool at 16 and have added to them all my life. When I started My Apprenticeship in 1968 I bought another set and added to them for years, we got $300 allowance every 916 hrs while training so I bought more every time with that..
Now at 60 and retired I have two sets of most everything anyone would need in the mechanics field. I have had several brake and with these and some others U only have to buy once with lifetime replacement. Now thats hard to beat.

Most of the ones I bought for home I got when Sears have there tool sales, just keep an eye out for them and U'll get a good deal and save a bunch of money,, in the end U won't have much more money in them than the cheaper throw aways..

Old 10-16-2009, 07:03 AM
dog155
Extreme HDF Member
Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by John TN
Some of their stuff is good some junk,,, they have name brands too,,, a lot depends on how much you will use something and sometimes you can just look at it and tell it's junk. I buy some stuff from them,, bought my 80 gal three stage air compressor from them, my shop space heater,, no problems at all, very good price, even bought my deer meat grinder from them,,, they have a lot of stuff.
Same here,over the years have bought a lot of stuff of this Co.Some of their tools are an absolute bargin,for example, impact sockets,none better to be had.Most of my tools are from Snap-On and the other large tool suppliers.

Old 10-16-2009, 09:06 AM
dreamer65
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

you can do what i saw a guy do at sears one day he came in with a hand full of old sears tools and asked for new one and the guy told him to go get them(about 15 pieces) I looked at the tools and said i have worse one's in my tool box, guy behind counter say this guy does this all the time he buys the tools at yard sales and brings them in here for new ones. I have a set of allen wenrhs fome NT made by titan been using them for two yrs and they are still perfect and i use these on my press everyday

Old 10-16-2009, 09:14 AM
1st HD
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have bought a few items from them as well. Three torque wrenches and an air compresser. So far so good.

Quick Reply: Northern Industrial Tools?