General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

why wear chaps?

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2009, 04:35 PM
firebrick
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default why wear chaps?

why do people wear chaps when leather overpants provide a larger area of protection and come off as easy as chaps with side zippers?

Old 10-13-2009, 04:42 PM
golfblues
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,540 Likes on 932 Posts

Cause my butt & nuts are much more comfortable in jeans & my legs are warm when it's cold with chaps. I rode to work yesterday in 35* chill & no sun. I was very comfortable in chaps & when I got to work I took them off & worked in jeans. At 1PM I put on the chaps & took off for a 3 hour ride with a 45 minute beer stop Hope this helps you decide what is cool. I go with what works for me.

BTW, I wear them for warmth in cold weather. Most of the time I ride in jeans.

Last edited by golfblues; 10-13-2009 at 05:04 PM.
Old 10-13-2009, 04:45 PM
DaddyKnuck
Extreme HDF Member
Received 1,664 Likes on 946 Posts

I have some Hein Gericke overpants that are still good after about 15 years. A lot more people wear chaps, might be the price. My leather pants were almost $200 even back then!

Old 10-13-2009, 04:50 PM
golfblues
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,540 Likes on 932 Posts

I was at the Marcus Dairy meet a few weeks ago & they were selling pants that had leather legs & jeans on top. They looked like a seamless chaps/jeans combo & looked like a great idea at 85.00. A guy comes up behind me & ask's "how do you clean them since the top is jean material". Answer, "dry cleaning". We both walked away.

Old 10-13-2009, 04:52 PM
Madav8tr
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think the reason a lot of people wear chaps as opposed to the leather pants centers more on price than anything else. I wear cheap chaps, flea market specials but I have had them for 6 years, and I paid less than 80 bucks for them. Comparable leather pants would have cost me at least 200 bucks, maybe more than that. Besides, when it's cold out, I am riding my Street Glide with lower fairings and all I really need is a little something to knock the wind off the top of my legs. Chaps work fine for that.

Old 10-13-2009, 05:00 PM
MidnitEvil
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 60 Likes on 51 Posts

Well, depending on how cold it is, my wife might wear both leather pants AND chaps. Chaps are easy to thrown on, and take off. Wearing leather pants over jeans would add a lot of bulk to the waist area, and probably not be too comfortable.

Old 10-13-2009, 05:23 PM
txfxstrider
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 86 Likes on 55 Posts

I wear chaps to keep warm, period. I have had my chaps for so long that I don't think leather over-pants were available when I bought them. Plus, they roll up and don't take up much space when traveling. Safety? You are right. The more covered the more protected. I also wear a half helmet to keep warm when it is very cold.

Old 10-13-2009, 05:27 PM
Barrenmug
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Wear chaps cause I'm fat and there more comfy on a fat man. jofmo(just one fat mans opinion)

Old 10-13-2009, 05:33 PM
zeus33
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by firebrick
why do people wear chaps when leather overpants provide a larger area of protection and come off as easy as chaps with side zippers?

Myself, I came from a background of dirt track racing where everyone was required to wear full leather pants. It only makes sense to me.

To me, chaps look gay. They remind me of those long black stockings/garders you'd see on stripers and hookers. They look good on women though, as long as she's wearing a bikini bottom.

Old 10-13-2009, 05:52 PM
seniorsuperglideE8
Supporter
Veteran: Navy
Received 4,817 Likes on 2,546 Posts

Wear chaps for warmth (cold wind deflector) and tends to soften the impact of road debris impacting the shins. My chaps are 8 years old, stained by bugs, washed by rain, right leg shaped by the exhaust pipes heat and almost broke in. That's why God made cows.

Quick Reply: why wear chaps?