General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

why wear chaps?

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2009, 05:56 PM
silvrbill
Road Warrior
Received 58 Likes on 42 Posts

Don't wear them if you don't want to.

Old 10-13-2009, 05:59 PM
rparnel1
Tourer
Received 157 Likes on 60 Posts

I have both chaps and overpants. I almost exclusively wear the overpants. They were only $100 from Branson Leather and have served me well. They are definately warmer than the chaps and do provide that extra level of protection for the buttock area, if I happen to go down. They are just as easy to put on/off as chaps and keep my jeans underneath nice and clean. So, I'm with you! I think overpants are a better idea. They are more expensive though.

Old 10-13-2009, 06:49 PM
GymRat523
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I also do the overpants but all my buddies wear chaps, they do roll up very small to carry in case you need them.

Old 10-13-2009, 06:57 PM
captharley
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've got both and prefer chaps-- easier to deal with

Old 10-13-2009, 06:57 PM
Cajun King
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If it is cold enough, I'll wear a snow mobile suit. Now thats a sight. Chaps are warm, comfortable, will protect you from road rash, pack easily, and because I can.

Never tried the leather pants but they kind of remind me of the worst period of history in our life...DISCO.

Old 10-13-2009, 07:10 PM
firebrick
Road Warrior

I let my dad borrow my leather overpants on his last ride. He was begging me to find some for him after that, he has chaps. Just saying for those who havent tried it, they are nice. Found mine on ebay, used, fully lined for 70 bucks.

Old 10-13-2009, 07:15 PM
TravelingBiker
Tourer

Originally Posted by firebrick
why do people wear chaps when leather overpants provide a larger area of protection and come off as easy as chaps with side zippers?
What is the difference? I've never heard of leather over pants. I like to wear chaps on a long road trip, when it's really cold, or when it's raining.

and price may be an issue. It sounds like chaps may have less leather than leather over pants.... So they may be cheaper?

Old 10-13-2009, 07:21 PM
LAMing
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have yet to wear chaps. Most of my street riding has been in the warmer months.

IMHO, chaps are for two functional reasons:

1. Limited protection. (You'll still cheese-grate your butt.)

2. Leg warmth in colder months.

Just fully realized reason #2 recently. Previously I had been good to go in colder weather with jeans. For some reason, this past Saturday I got chilled to the bone on an all-dayer that included some riding with temperatures in the 40's. Took me about two hours to really de-chill once home.

Thus, those new, never used chaps up on the top of the closet WILL be used next time during cooler weather.

Aside from the above functional reasons, I think there is another reason for many riders that wear chaps:

1. "Image" factor.

For some reason chaps are supposed to go with the "Harley Image"? You'll have to ask the HD long-timers as to "why".

Old 10-13-2009, 07:23 PM
overhead
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by zeus33
Myself, I came from a background of dirt track racing where everyone was required to wear full leather pants. It only makes sense to me.

To me, chaps look gay. They remind me of those long black stockings/garders you'd see on stripers and hookers. They look good on women though, as long as she's wearing a bikini bottom.
You see a man in chaps and you think of a ladies long black stockings/garders? Hmmmmmm.

I own both chaps and overpants, if I leave home and need to wear something it will be the overpants. If I leave home and want to bring something with me to stuff into my saddlebag just in case it is the chaps.........and my long black stockings.

Old 10-13-2009, 07:26 PM
TravelingBiker
Tourer

Originally Posted by zeus33
To me, chaps look gay. They remind me of those long black stockings/garders you'd see on stripers and hookers.
Strippers and hookers look gay? You are talking about female hookers that you've experienced..... right? hehehe.

Quick Reply: why wear chaps?