General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ok...lets hear 'em...favorite bug story

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2006, 04:00 AM
zombie
Banned
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: ok...lets hear 'em...favorite bug story

ORIGINAL: Harley Al

Going across the State of Florida on 17 when the LoveBUGS are pucking what a mess!

Ride Safe!
Millions of them!!! They coat anything that runs faster than 25mph. Should have seen my truck after the move up from Pensacola.

Old 06-30-2006, 04:16 AM
scrappy883r
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Last Saturday night I was coming home from a small fair. I was wearing a light carbon fiber helment and clear safety glasses. I had a June bug hit me just right of the bridge of my nose. IT hurt like hell and then it was yucky stuff oozing on to my face and right eye. I should have had my 3/4ths helment on then i wouldn't have felt the pain.

Old 06-30-2006, 09:31 AM
Blue Lead
Cruiser

Touring through Kansas on my way to Utah when all of a sudden **SMACK** I took one deep inside my right nostril. I havn't a clue how he could have gotten in so deep, but it was one of those automatic reactions - takes longer to describe versus the real thing. Anyhoo, I begin a series of uncontrollable sneezes that shook the bike more so than the engine! They were the really deep kind that start in the bottom of your lung. Good thing there wasn't much traffic because I know I was swervin'.

Freaked me out!

Blue Lead

Old 06-30-2006, 09:55 AM
stubby
Road Captain

This May riding Sunday evening out in the farmland. Wearing coccons over my glasses. Got hit by a bee; got under my glasses ; three bites around eye. I just began riding this last March after a number of years. My riding skills resurfaced quickly when I needed to brake ang get over to the side of the road quickly to dislodge the bee. A swolen eye and introduction to Benedryl followed.

Old 06-30-2006, 12:15 PM
rh8234
Elite HDF Member
Received 34 Likes on 16 Posts

Not exactly a bug, but years ago riding at night up in northern Minnesota, I was going about 65 and a huge bullfrog in the road decided to jump as I passed. It hit my boot on the instep, smashed into a liquid goo, squirted up my pant leg and ran down into my boot. The pain from hitting it was not fun, but what seemed like a gallon of smashed frog in the boot was enough to nearly make me loose my dinner.

Old 06-30-2006, 02:49 PM
FireHawk
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: cjmilez

Some kind of black bug crawled inside my swimsuit today while I was laying out and bit me on my boobie.....glad there weren't any neighbors out because that top came OFF!!! YUCK!!!
[sm=ttiwwp.gif]

Old 06-30-2006, 02:59 PM
FireHawk
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

A Suzuki 125 TS, Country back road, Speed 75 (pretty close to top end for that puppy), Grasshopper (locus).

No windsheild of course. Thing leaps from the middle of the road, clears my bars and impacts on my T-Shirt in the middle of my chest. I had a good grip on my bars and didn't get ejected off the back. (It hit that hard). Managed to stop and get my wind back. Found no sign of bug guts but I had a HUGE red spot on my chest that later turned into the most lovely shade of black and blue you've ever seen.

Many, Many years later.

Suzuki Intruder, Bell RD in Phx leaving Scottsdale, pretty close to the speed limit (ok I was speeding), bumble bee (I think).

This time I had a windsheild. I can see the bee coming. Big black sucker. Looks like he is going clear me as he starts rising as he approaches my sheild. Impacts top edge of sheild and sprays half of his body toward me, the other half is still whole and big. I duck, take the spray on glasses and face (YUCK!) and take the rest of the bee on my helmet (WHACK/SPLAT!).
When I stopped at the next light I scrubbed my face clearn. My helmet looked like a funky paint job when I got home.

Old 06-30-2006, 03:43 PM
TedMan
Road Warrior
Received 245 Likes on 158 Posts

Tooling around in the country before I got my National Chopped WS. Off in the distance I could actually see a large dark thing spiralling in at me. Then....wham! square in the chest. Actually felt like someone punched me. Fortunately I had my vest on. I stop off to have a cold one, and walked up to the bar, and the bartender starts laughing. I look down, and right at the V of my vest is the biggest dragonfly I have ever seen, completely intact, and dangling off me like a christmas ornament. Nice!

Ted

Old 06-30-2006, 05:54 PM
pococj
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,296 Likes on 483 Posts

I'm probably an HD rider 'cause of a bug. Back in '73 I was getting ready to buy a used Triumph 650 Tiger. 'Bout a week before I was to get the bike, the guy who owned it got centered between the eyes by a big ol' bug at over 100 mph. It knocked him slap out, and he crashed the bike. He was skinned up with the ol' road rash pretty good, but the bike had evidently done a few end-os after sliding down the road. It was completely trashed, including a bent frame, and a mess of fins broken off the jugs.

I rode a bud's Z1 Kaw to San Jose, bought a used chopped XLCH, and ain't looked back since.

Old 06-30-2006, 06:30 PM
eddybo69
Road Master

I cant say whether bugs are worse in the south or not but we got plenty. I was riding back from Houston, TX to Hammond, LA, late at night. Got pelted by a variety of bugs never gave it a second thought. I had been riding for about five hours taking nothing but fuel breaks and decided it was time for food. Pulled into a Waffle House and walked in noticed everyone staring. Just thought it was because I was a stranger and they all seemed to be locals. Ordered some chili. The waitress brings it and puts it in front of me. I start to eat and a big bug falls off my face into my chili. I scoop it out and hide it and decide to go to the restroom. When I get a look in the mirror I see why everyone was stareing. My face looks like I blacked it out with shoe polish because an 18 wheeler blew a tire about 3 feet from my face, and I got at least 20 bugs stuck on my face and in my beard. I wash my face and walk back into the dining area and my buddies that I was riding with are rolling on the floor. I had gone into about 3 service stations looking that way couldnt figure out what they were giggling about, until then.

Quick Reply: ok...lets hear 'em...favorite bug story