General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What's up with Harley Davidson's Ignition switch?

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2006, 07:02 PM
Original Junior
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: What's up with Harley Davidson's Ignition switch?

ORIGINAL: Axholio

ORIGINAL: went_postal

Hmmm... maybe I'm misunderstanding something... I have an 03 FXD... The key cannot be removed while the motor is running.

Are you guys saying that you remove your keys while riding?
Yes. The barrel key style comes out. It is not captive at all when it is in the keyhole.
Mine doesn't come out! We've tried to remove it while the motors running... it's stuck in there good. There's some kind of tab holding it in.

*shrugs*
As I believe, and experience daily, the barrel key for the Dyna will not come out when the ignition is switched on. On the softails, I believe they do. But for us Dyna owners, it does not.

Old 06-29-2006, 08:52 PM
alexcue
Road Master

my friends Wide Glide, has the barrel key and it comes out. (2005).

My sportster has the blade and it won't come out. I feel so left out

Old 06-29-2006, 10:01 PM
daniel.sm
Road Master
Received 146 Likes on 86 Posts

ORIGINAL: Original Junior

Hmmm... maybe I'm misunderstanding something... I have an 03 FXD... The key cannot be removed while the motor is running.

Are you guys saying that you remove your keys while riding?
Yes. The barrel key style comes out. It is not captive at all when it is in the keyhole.
Mine doesn't come out! We've tried to remove it while the motors running... it's stuck in there good. There's some kind of tab holding it in.

*shrugs*
As I believe, and experience daily, the barrel key for the Dyna will not come out when the ignition is switched on. On the softails, I believe they do. But for us Dyna owners, it does not.
Just to clarify things:

All Dyna models (except the Dyna Wide Glide) does not remove the key when the ignition is on.

In other words...if you're an owner of a Dyna Super Glide or a Dyna Low Rider or a Street Bob the key won't come out....it just comes out on the Dyna Wide Glide, ALL the Softail models and ALL touring models

Old 06-29-2006, 10:13 PM
Axholio
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Thanks Daniel for that clairification!

Old 06-29-2006, 11:06 PM
daniel.sm
Road Master
Received 146 Likes on 86 Posts

You're welcome! I'm glad I can help.

I've been a dyna owner...I had a 1995 super glide and a 1998 wide glide.

Old 06-30-2006, 02:50 AM
thumper 29
Outstanding HDF Member

ORIGINAL: MOking

I only lock mine when I leave the bike for an extended period, have it out of sight, or at bars or other places where drunks, kids, and a**holes may play with it.

I use my alarm/siren/pager and don't worry about it. Hopefully it won't be gone when I get back, but if it is....they probably would have gotten it either way.
One of these days I am going to figure out how to do payback for the @$$hats that steal motorcycles.

When I was in highschool my 71 Impala (Rust and Yellow) was broken into 4 times in the school parking lot. Each time they broke a different window to get into the damn thing. Drove me nuts! I had a realistic radio and crappy speakers laying on the floor. Bastards were doing it just to be bastards.

The 4th time was the last time... After the third break in I tossed an Alpine Radio that I got from work in there. I figured that should be good enough bait. Sure enough... Came out to my car after class and the window was broken and a trail of blood was leaving the car. Radio was still there.... =) After I installed the radio I put razor wire and double edged razor blades all over the underside of the dash. When this chucklehead decided he wanted my radio he got more than he bargained for. Must have gotten a damn vein with the amount of blood that was outside the car.

The cops were unpleased with me. I told them when they found the banger with enough ***** to come forward and press charges they better charge him with breaking and entering or vandolism. Needless to say no one ever came forward.

I always wanted to see if I could run a wire from the coil to the frame so I could electrocute someone... Never did try it...

At any rate... After having the same bike pinched twice I would love to figure out a way to get even like I did with the car.

Juvinile? Yes. Satisfying? HELL YES.

Man I used to live in N.C. and the only problem I ever had was my apartment got broken into one time.
Never had any of my bikes I owned messed with.
I hate a thief though, whatever boobie traps they run up against that is their problem as
far as I am concerned...they shouldn't be there in the first place messing with whatever they
may mess with!

Old 06-30-2006, 11:03 AM
went_postal
Outstanding HDF Member

ORIGINAL: thumper 29

I only lock mine when I leave the bike for an extended period, have it out of sight, or at bars or other places where drunks, kids, and a**holes may play with it.

I use my alarm/siren/pager and don't worry about it. Hopefully it won't be gone when I get back, but if it is....they probably would have gotten it either way.
One of these days I am going to figure out how to do payback for the @$$hats that steal motorcycles.

When I was in highschool my 71 Impala (Rust and Yellow) was broken into 4 times in the school parking lot. Each time they broke a different window to get into the damn thing. Drove me nuts! I had a realistic radio and crappy speakers laying on the floor. Bastards were doing it just to be bastards.

The 4th time was the last time... After the third break in I tossed an Alpine Radio that I got from work in there. I figured that should be good enough bait. Sure enough... Came out to my car after class and the window was broken and a trail of blood was leaving the car. Radio was still there.... =) After I installed the radio I put razor wire and double edged razor blades all over the underside of the dash. When this chucklehead decided he wanted my radio he got more than he bargained for. Must have gotten a damn vein with the amount of blood that was outside the car.

The cops were unpleased with me. I told them when they found the banger with enough ***** to come forward and press charges they better charge him with breaking and entering or vandolism. Needless to say no one ever came forward.

I always wanted to see if I could run a wire from the coil to the frame so I could electrocute someone... Never did try it...

At any rate... After having the same bike pinched twice I would love to figure out a way to get even like I did with the car.

Man I used to live in N.C. and the only problem I ever had was my apartment got broken into one time.
I hate a thief though, whatever boobie traps they run up against that is their problem as
far as I am concerned...they shouldn't be there in the first place messing with whatever they
may mess with!
Oh I agree with you... But all this morons and their lawyers win all the time.

In Chicago there was just a case about the bad guys winning... Annoyed the hell out of me. A Banger steals this dudes car FROM HIS DRIVEWAY... Guy reports the theft and life moves on. The next night the SAME BANGER shows up at the guys house with HIS OWN CAR and tries to rob the house. Well... The owner of the house and the car shot the dude when he came in the house.

Guess who went to jail? That's right... the homeowner. It is illegal to own a firearm in the city limits. AND you cannot shoot over property. In my opinion he was not shooting over property... he was shooting in self defence.

You hear stuff like this all the time now... Guy breaks into your house and cuts his arm on the glass and sues you for damages... And wins.

Where are we going and why am I in this handbasket?

Old 06-30-2006, 06:12 PM
pococj
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,296 Likes on 483 Posts

ORIGINAL: thumper 29

may mess with!
Oh I agree with you... But all this morons and their lawyers win all the time.

In Chicago there was just a case about the bad guys winning... Annoyed the hell out of me. A Banger steals this dudes car FROM HIS DRIVEWAY... Guy reports the theft and life moves on. The next night the SAME BANGER shows up at the guys house with HIS OWN CAR and tries to rob the house. Well... The owner of the house and the car shot the dude when he came in the house.

Guess who went to jail? That's right... the homeowner. It is illegal to own a firearm in the city limits. AND you cannot shoot over property. In my opinion he was not shooting over property... he was shooting in self defence.

You hear stuff like this all the time now... Guy breaks into your house and cuts his arm on the glass and sues you for damages... And wins.

Where are we going and why am I in this handbasket?
You don't hear this crap in Texas. You can do whatever it takes, including deadly force, to protect your property, and there is no junk about retreating first.

Recently had a Longview, TX homeowner wake up at 3 am to crashing glass. He grabs his gun, hits the living room, and sees a three dudes, one who looks like he's carrying. He pops that one dead, wounds another one, and the third gets away.

Dead one was 14, wounded one is 15, and the mastermind who got away for a bit is 17. Sorry for the death of a stupid kid, and more sorry for the kid's parents, but am most sorry for the guy who had to pop the idiots. Be tough livin' with that, even knowin