General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

6°F on the commute this morning! Yeah!

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2009 | 07:28 PM
faber
|
Ultimate HDF Member

Heated gear may be the way to go. I have lots of ski gear that keeps me pretty toasty, but when there is snow on the road, I'll switch to my KLR and anticipate falling, lots, and I'd be pissed if I messed up my ski gear. Heated gear may be in order and should work well with the KLR.

All these hardazz/tough guy comments....... more like dumbazz! I don't mind the cold, but I am getting old(er) and something will probably fall off one of these days

Seriously, though, I'd rather ride at 10°, ski at -15°, and even sit on my deck drinking Bushmills at -20° then do anything in 100°. My father-in-law lives in Tempe, AZ and whenever we go down there, I feel like I am gonna die!!!

Old 10-12-2009 | 07:52 PM
'05Train
Ultimate HDF Member

I'll say this....A dry cold is better than a wet cold. -30 in Warroad, MN was way more comfortable than 20 above here in Maryland (once you get over the initial shock). But I'll take the heat over the cold any day. There's nothing better than walking into air conditioning when you're hot. Walk into a heated room when you're chilled to the bone, and it takes half an hour to warm up.

Heated gear is the bee's knees. I got my stuff from the local BMW dealer at an end-of-season sale. Between the Gerbings and the Windvest, I'm a 12-month rider now.

Old 10-12-2009 | 09:10 PM
murd
Road Warrior

I agree, it's getting a bit chilly these days....

Last edited by murd; 10-12-2009 at 09:12 PM.
Old 10-12-2009 | 09:19 PM
faber
|
Ultimate HDF Member

^
schweet!!!!!!!!!

Old 10-12-2009 | 09:27 PM
Jordy806
Cruiser

Yer crazy! I thought I was badass for taking my 09 lowrider in for the 1000 mi service.40 deg at 11am this morn,45 mile ride.

Old 10-12-2009 | 09:48 PM
Chaos
Tourer

Rock on Faber! When you're talking about your ski gear, what is it that you mean specifically? Thats a hell of an idea.

Old 10-12-2009 | 10:11 PM
2kids3pets
Elite HDF Member

Fokk Faber I thought my ride today was cold, we had 34 today...it started to snow while I was out and boy did the streets get slick, promptly turned around and headed for home...really didn't want to lay her down

Old 10-12-2009 | 10:20 PM
faber
|
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by Chaos
Rock on Faber! When you're talking about your ski gear, what is it that you mean specifically? Thats a hell of an idea.
My ski gear? I've got lots of it, cuz I ski lots. (I also work part-time as a professional ski instructor--discounts!)

Just three steps:

base layers: I *really* like SmartWool (and I've tried all kinds). Sometimes on my legs I'll wear a second, looser base layer.

insulator: this is a down vest or jacket--the thin ones are surprisingly warm; super puffy ones are meant to be worn alone EDIT: if it's not too cold, wear a soft shell instead of the down--I often just ride in a soft shell

shell: a tough, wind/waterproof shell and full-zip powder pants. these things are meant to be windproof and waterproof, yet breathable and not binding, at super cold temps, warm spring skiing (wet!) and everything in between--while skiing at 60mph

gloves: I have two pairs of Hestras, with removable liners. super warm, not too bulky. *perfect* for the bike!

(I wear a full-face helmet, but when I ski I wear goggles, etc.)

Usually, I am fine with a base layer under my street clothes and then a shell.

What brands?: Cloudveil, Mountain Hardware, Karbon, ArcTeryx, Marmot, North Face, etc. (keep searching Sierra Trading and ebay--great deals out there!)

I can wear my ski stuff, and it is lighter and *way* less bulky than wearing my bike jacket with liner and rain gear. And I am dry and warm. No wires.

And I can wear it skiing

Last edited by faber; 10-12-2009 at 10:24 PM. Reason: forgot to add soft shells
Old 10-12-2009 | 10:37 PM
cdesero
Tourer

Two days ago rode home in 29 deg from work. Winter is coming early!

Old 10-12-2009 | 11:51 PM
Chaos
Tourer

Originally Posted by faber
My ski gear? I've got lots of it, cuz I ski lots. (I also work part-time as a professional ski instructor--discounts!)

Just three steps:

base layers: I *really* like SmartWool (and I've tried all kinds). Sometimes on my legs I'll wear a second, looser base layer.

insulator: this is a down vest or jacket--the thin ones are surprisingly warm; super puffy ones are meant to be worn alone EDIT: if it's not too cold, wear a soft shell instead of the down--I often just ride in a soft shell

shell: a tough, wind/waterproof shell and full-zip powder pants. these things are meant to be windproof and waterproof, yet breathable and not binding, at super cold temps, warm spring skiing (wet!) and everything in between--while skiing at 60mph

gloves: I have two pairs of Hestras, with removable liners. super warm, not too bulky. *perfect* for the bike!

(I wear a full-face helmet, but when I ski I wear goggles, etc.)

Usually, I am fine with a base layer under my street clothes and then a shell.

What brands?: Cloudveil, Mountain Hardware, Karbon, ArcTeryx, Marmot, North Face, etc. (keep searching Sierra Trading and ebay--great deals out there!)

I can wear my ski stuff, and it is lighter and *way* less bulky than wearing my bike jacket with liner and rain gear. And I am dry and warm. No wires.

And I can wear it skiing
Cool, thanks man. There is usually a polar bear ride or two around here in the winter, 100 miles or thereabout. Thats some useful info

Quick Reply: 6°F on the commute this morning! Yeah!