General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Would you send son to MMI in todays economy to wrench HD's?

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2011, 10:55 PM
tazz56
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just looked up the average salery for a H-D mechanic. It's over $37,000, while starting is around $25-30,000. Alot depends on where he would work. I got this off of www.eHow.com. I hope this helps.
Jeff

Old 12-13-2011, 10:58 PM
Bluehighways
Stellar HDF Member
Received 223 Likes on 158 Posts

Go to a real school, get a real education and get paid real money.

Work in a Dealership to pay your way through college . . . that'll be two educations for the price of one!

Nothing destroys the love of working on a motorcycle or a car like having to make your living doing it, year, after year after . . . .

Old 12-13-2011, 11:02 PM
IronAss
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 12,253 Likes on 4,783 Posts

If the OP is still reading this thread (It's from 2009) I'd be curious as to whether or not his son went and if so, how he's doing?

Old 12-14-2011, 09:53 AM
jo_mama
Elite HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Bluehighways
Go to a real school, get a real education and get paid real money.

Work in a Dealership to pay your way through college . . . that'll be two educations for the price of one!

Nothing destroys the love of working on a motorcycle or a car like having to make your living doing it, year, after year after . . . .
i understand the importance of a good education but your attitude is kind of crappy about working on bikes. lots of guys work on bikes daily and are happy as a lark. who's to say this guy or any guy couldn't be happy too?

Old 12-14-2011, 10:20 AM
AtkRWC
Elite HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Bluehighways

Thats a fact...Happened to me with flying. Turned my hobbie into a career. Ended up hating to fly all the time. A few years out of flying and I enjoy it again.

Old 12-14-2011, 10:26 AM
IronAss
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 12,253 Likes on 4,783 Posts

Originally Posted by AtkRWC
Thats a fact...Happened to me with flying. Turned my hobbie into a career. Ended up hating to fly all the time. A few years out of flying and I enjoy it again.
Exactly what happened to me with the wrenchin thing. Went to MMI (over 20 years ago) and worked in the business for a few years. Got to where I didn't want anything to do with bikes when I got off work. Didn't take too long after I got out of the business until I started enjoying riding and working on my own again.

Now even though I still have a good bit of the knowledge, I really don't want to work on mine much anymore but can if necessary.