General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

unknown

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2009, 06:29 PM
fonemann
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wtf is your point, whining about whining??

Old 10-14-2009, 12:40 AM
cole
Cruiser

Hey people, I wrote that down cause it just feels what the original intent of riding was all about. I didn't mean too step on any toes or upset anyone, but if you've read it and taken offense, oh well. [I'm referring to "author unknown"] What can I say, I'm old school, ya know, when you could count on a friend and your crew. I know it's a whole new world out there and I got no problem with that, I'm not cutting down the new wavw, actually I like to see the new on the road. Anyway's, what I love the most is running into the ol' guy's out there on the road, knowing I'm not alone. I also like to see the new people there, knowing it's not dying. One for all and all for one. Love that saying. cole

Old 10-14-2009, 10:30 AM
Chaos
Tourer

Dont worry about it, I don't think you stepped on toes, certainly not mine. I thought it was a really good read and enjoyed it. Once you've been here a while you'll find out that pretty much no matter what you post, somebody somewhere will have something to say about it or stir the pot or whatever. It's the internet, thats just how it is. You learn to roll with it

Taken as whole this is a pretty cool place with lots of good folks.

Old 10-14-2009, 11:06 AM
TwiggyAZ
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That was a romantic read, and there was a lot of stuff that was not so romantic. I personally like progress. I ride a bike today for the exact same reason I stole my brothers Triumph 30 years ago and rode it. It was fun. Period, that's it!! It still is a lot of fun, in fact it is a WHOLE LOT funner, because the bike is better, the ride is better, everything is better. The hotels are better! I still meet wonderful people along the way that are just as friendly and amused about a woman rider and want to talk about it. So I will sit at whatever gas station, or hotel, or restaurant and talk to them and give someone a ride that thinks it is a thrill. Same as it was in the 70's.

There is ONE thing I hate about todays riding. And that's more traffic to contend with. In fact I truly believe that 30 years ago people watched out for motorcycles more and gave them more respect and room while on the highways and byways. Now I think everyone believes the road is theirs, and everyone better get the he!! out of their way or else. Don't like that these days.

99% of the "oldtimers" I talk to say they are glad they don't have to ride a hardtail anymore. A lot of them have one in the garage to pull out once in a while and take for a spin, or wrench on, but most of them I know are on the big bikes now that are comfortable and can still take them on the long rides that they COULD do 30 years ago on the hardtails. Nothing to prove by still doing it on a hardtail. Progress is wonderful

I've never bought into that "if your not an avid everyday rider that's ridden for 30 years, your just a rub" chit. I know people ride bikes because they are FUN to ride! Whether they do that every weekend, or every day of the year, it is always done for the same reason...the joy of riding a motorcycle.

All the brotherhood stuff, and helping one another, and being there for each other, and bla bla bla is just an offshoot of riding a bike. It's the same in a lot of organizations that will have each other's back.

People WANT to belong to a group, whether that group represents the mainstream of the world, or the fringes of society, everyone wants to belong, and no matter how much we try to be different, we are all the same, with the same needs, wants, and desire to be loved, be a part of, and have the closeness with other human beings. Loners just pick something else to fulfill their need, it is the same.

Motorcycles are fun to ride, and I always get a big smile when I hear the sound of a Harley in front or in back. Or anywhere, it is the smile of knowing what that feeling is like, and that's the whole romance of riding a motorcycle....100 years ago, or tomorrow for the very first time. It's all good, it's all fun...for everyone that does it.

That's my story and I may stick to it, if I want to...or change it, if I want to!!

And here's another romantic motorcycle story while we are at it. Linda aka Softail Girl on the forum is fighting breast cancer. She just completed a 10 day ride in California, from the south end to San Fran. HD provided all the bikes for women all over the world to make this ride and bring awareness to the cause and the women motorcycle riders of the world who LOVE riding a motorcyle. Some have ridden a long time, some just a while. The motorcycle brings them together. Other organizations get together with the same love for their cause to cure cancer too. That to me is the great things in riding...the pluses, the add on's, the benefits, the wonderful results of getting on a bike anywhere, anytime...no matter the age, year, time or purpose......

You freakin rock Linda..........