General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

unknown

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2009, 10:14 PM
LAMing
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Once you get out in the boonies, other than the combines being controlled by GPS, not much has changed.
Not so in my region. Almost every US and even State hiways have changed. Some drasticially. The 71 Hiway I travel through the Arkansas Ozarks between Alma, AR on up to the Missouri line is NOTHING like it was some 30 years ago, and even less so like it was 40 or 50 years ago. Shoot... even 71's final incarnation has essentially been replaced with I-540.

Same goes for almost all US and State hiways here in "Arklahoma" region: Many have been rerouted completely. Those that haven't have been modernized with relocations/upgrades, etc.

Result?

When riding many of the roads here... you are NOT riding the old stuff. It's gone for good.

Think of how little of the original Route 66 is left and you'll get the idea.

Old 10-11-2009, 10:27 PM
Splatter
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by dennyo
Good Stuff . Makes Ya think
Yep. Makes me think "sentimental muck."

Old 10-12-2009, 08:28 AM
MidnitEvil
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 60 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by LAMing
When riding many of the roads here... you are NOT riding the old stuff. It's gone for good.
Rt 66 is a good example of how some roads have changed, but... with millions of miles of roads to choose from, I don't see a need to lament how a few of them have changed. I can still take back roads to turn a 40 mile trip into a 2 hour ride. What's even better is there are now more options if I need to make that trip in 35 minutes as well. I can jump on some of the slabs around here, run 80-90 in the right or middle lane, and never worry about getting pulled over because I'm cruising with the flow of traffic.

Of course, my point being, as far as riding, there is nothing I could do 40 years ago that I can't do today. "The old days" didn't have anything I can't have today. The *only* thing that's changed for old bikers, is they have gotten old, forgetful, grouchy, and some of them like to whine.

Old 10-12-2009, 07:29 PM
*NIGHT TRAIN*
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by MidnitEvil
Rt 66 is a good example of how some roads have changed, but... with millions of miles of roads to choose from, I don't see a need to lament how a few of them have changed. I can still take back roads to turn a 40 mile trip into a 2 hour ride. What's even better is there are now more options if I need to make that trip in 35 minutes as well. I can jump on some of the slabs around here, run 80-90 in the right or middle lane, and never worry about getting pulled over because I'm cruising with the flow of traffic.

Of course, my point being, as far as riding, there is nothing I could do 40 years ago that I can't do today. "The old days" didn't have anything I can't have today. The *only* thing that's changed for old bikers, is they have gotten old, forgetful, grouchy, and some of them like to whine.
40 years ago, you were 8 years old according to your profile stats...you don't have a clue what it was like to ride back then...however, there's nothing more amusing than hearing someone who wasn't there whine that the guys who WERE out on the road back then are whiners for reminiscing about those times....lighten up, Francis...

Last edited by *NIGHT TRAIN*; 10-12-2009 at 08:36 PM.
Old 10-12-2009, 08:47 PM
ToastedGoat
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by *NIGHT TRAIN*
40 years ago, you were 8 years old according to your profile stats...you don't have a clue what it was like to ride back then...however, there's nothing more amusing than hearing someone who wasn't there whine that the guys who WERE out on the road back then are whiners for reminiscing about those times....lighten up, Francis...
before cell phones. computers, bikes that went 80,000 + miles before major problems. Insurance with towing, ect. Gas stations on every corner with mini marts in em. Hell I can remember when if you left out on Sunday or at night from San Antone toward El Paso Tx, you would have to take a gas can (with gas ) with you.

Riding now days is gravy.

Old 10-12-2009, 09:12 PM
JW1200
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 21,364 Likes on 8,413 Posts

I'm old, I ride. But do you know what really kills me? Well like it or not guess you'll read it. It's people that pay all that money to go to the Dragon and ride so they can say; "I rode the dragon". Well let me tell you rubs "I road the Dragon in 1977 before it was the Dragon, 2 up on a KZ 400." I have road it many times since because I have family and friends here. I just don't see the big deal about it?

Old 10-12-2009, 09:58 PM
MidnitEvil
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 60 Likes on 51 Posts

Yeah man... I remember being 8 years old. I remember what the roads we like when I was 8. I remember doing road trips with the folks on those roads (Chicago to the keys, Chicago to the east coast, up through Canada...) - none of it on a highway.

Don't know how old you were when you first started noticing where you were and remembering it. I can go back before 8.

One thing I can remember, from 8, and every age on up, is some old farts who whine and moan about how good the old days were, and how all these new fangled gadgets are ruining the world, and how these damn young people have no idea what it was like.

"The culture" isn't changing. When today's old farts were young and new, there were old farts whining about them too.

Old 10-12-2009, 10:58 PM
*NIGHT TRAIN*
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by MidnitEvil
Yeah man... I remember being 8 years old. I remember what the roads we like when I was 8. I remember doing road trips with the folks on those roads (Chicago to the keys, Chicago to the east coast, up through Canada...) - none of it on a highway.

Don't know how old you were when you first started noticing where you were and remembering it. I can go back before 8.

One thing I can remember, from 8, and every age on up, is some old farts who whine and moan about how good the old days were, and how all these new fangled gadgets are ruining the world, and how these damn young people have no idea what it was like.

"The culture" isn't changing. When today's old farts were young and new, there were old farts whining about them too.
How does riding in the back seat of your folks car when you were a kid make you knowledgeable about what it was like to ride a bike back then? No one was trying to run you off the road just because you were on a bike...

No one was fckn with you when you stopped for a beer in the middle of nowhere and some good ol boys wanted to beat your *** just because you had long hair and rode in on a bike...

You also didn't know what it was like to break down in the middle of the night without a cell phone and road service, and have friends who would get out of bed and bring a tool box to get you home...it WAS a different culture, and you don't have a clue...

And back then, the old timers weren't whining when they were talking to me, they were trying to teach me something about respect and brotherhood...and same as today, if you take the cotton out of your ears and stick it in your mouth, you might learn something...

Old 10-12-2009, 11:11 PM
CroK
Banned

Is this what they call a 'pecker joust' ? TOO FUNNY!!!

Old 10-12-2009, 11:20 PM
Chaos
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How does riding in the back seat of your folks car when you were a kid make you knowledgeable about what it was like to ride a bike back then? No one was trying to run you off the road just because you were on a bike...

No one was fckn with you when you stopped for a beer in the middle of nowhere and some good ol boys wanted to beat your *** just because you had long hair and rode in on a bike...

You also didn't know what it was like to break down in the middle of the night without a cell phone and road service, and have friends who would get out of bed and bring a tool box to get you home...it WAS a different culture, and you don't have a clue...

And back then, the old timers weren't whining when they were talking to me, they were trying to teach me something about respect and brotherhood...and same as today, if you take the cotton out of your ears and stick it in your mouth, you might learn something...
Ya, I gotta ditto that one. I turned 45 last week so I'm still a youngster. Sort of.

An "Old Biker" taught me how to stay warm in the cold, another taught me how to ride a long time ago, yet another showed me some quick roadside repairs. It's amazing what you can do with a little emery clotch and a vice grip.

I could go on but the point is that if one just shows some respect and listens, he will probably learn something valuable. If he doesn't, he might learn something anyway if he's an azz about it.

One of the most memorable conversations I've ever had was with a gentleman maybe in his late 70's or early 80's who had hung it up quite some time ago. He and a partner was on a coast to coast run when one of them hit a bear. Now how the heck do you hit a friggin bear?? Long story short they managed to patch him and the bike up enough to make it in and get to a Dr. No cell, 911, a deserted mountain road...you get the idea.

Thats why when an old timer speaks I listen, they've been there done that without the modern conveniences that we take for granted today. It takes ***** to do chit like that which earns my respect from the gitgo. Just sayin'.

Last edited by Chaos; 10-12-2009 at 11:30 PM.

Quick Reply: unknown