General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Short Guys With Highway Pegs

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2009, 10:02 PM
Fastfwd
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Short Guys With Highway Pegs

I just found a helluva deal on some highway peg mounts from American Classic Motors and had to give it a shot. I know I wore tired of no option to reposition on my trip to Austin for ROT and was really hoping to make use of some highway pegs.

I installed today and have yet to ride with them, but I can see that despite the option to mount closer they are still at my tippy toes. I question if shorter riders use these and rest their heels on their brake/shift levers or if that is possibly a hazard? It seem like the only way these are going to be useful to me. Otherwise I'm going to maybe be stretching one leg out at a time or something.

Old 10-09-2009, 10:41 PM
harleydavis
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 30 Likes on 21 Posts

I'm short and rest my heels on my shifter and brake pedal.

Old 10-10-2009, 02:34 AM
Devil Dog
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've never done it but I cannot imagine that resting your feet on the brake or shift mechanism would be doing those things any good. Wouldn't you be putting pressure on your brakes? And what if you relax too much and accidentally downshift at 80mph?

Old 10-10-2009, 08:40 AM
Fastfwd
Road Warrior

Yeah, I dunno. That's why I asked. I was hoping the flipped position of the highway peg mounts would bring them in close enough for my short legs, but I can't really comfortably reach both at the same time from what I can tell with it sitting still. I may leave them on and see if it helps to have an alternate position for at least one leg at a time.

Old 10-10-2009, 09:22 AM
SBRob
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,299 Likes on 1,703 Posts

I have short legs (about 28" inseam) and couldn't reach the HD highway pegs on my Street Bob...I ordered the Kury X-tensions and it's made a big difference. They can be adjusted to move the pegs 1 1/4" higher and closer to you.

BTW, they are not in my sig pic, I just put 'em on last week...

Last edited by SBRob; 10-10-2009 at 09:30 AM.
Old 10-10-2009, 10:42 AM
Fastfwd
Road Warrior

Damn, I'm disappointed that these things are still such a stretch. I got to ride down the highway a mile or so awhile ago and they're just a hair too far for me to really make good use of them. I can perch my heels on my shifter/brake and put my toes on them, but I'm not really confident in how well they are planted there.

Thanks for the suggestion on alternate highway peg mounts..... I may try it some day. I was hoping these bargain mounts would work out.

Old 10-10-2009, 10:48 AM
asatguy
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a 30" inseam, and I simply gave up on highway pegs. Too much of a stretch to be comfortable.

Old 10-10-2009, 02:13 PM
vet767
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I am 5'4 30" inseam. Have the lindby crash bars on my FXDL perfect fit to the top location. Added HD adjustable brackets for a third foot position. Works great. On the sporty I just have hd mounts and pegs and they work great

Old 10-10-2009, 05:24 PM
a34655
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The harley highway pegs were to far of a stretch for me also so I got some flat steel and made a mount that bolts to the original holes on the bike and mounted the highway pegs to it moving them up and closer to me. I now can set the front of the heal of my boots on the peg or to really stretch out I can throw my foot over the peg.

Old 10-10-2009, 09:26 PM
JekyllnHyde
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 250 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by Fastfwd
I just found a helluva deal on some highway peg mounts from American Classic Motors and had to give it a shot. I know I wore tired of no option to reposition on my trip to Austin for ROT and was really hoping to make use of some highway pegs.

I installed today and have yet to ride with them, but I can see that despite the option to mount closer they are still at my tippy toes. I question if shorter riders use these and rest their heels on their brake/shift levers or if that is possibly a hazard? It seem like the only way these are going to be useful to me. Otherwise I'm going to maybe be stretching one leg out at a time or something.
Surely you can fabricate something to bring them closer to you. It shouldn't be that difficult.

Quick Reply: Short Guys With Highway Pegs