General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need advice from left foot amputee

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2009, 08:41 PM
GPHDXLC
Grand HDF Member
Received 348 Likes on 241 Posts
Default Need advice from left foot amputee

One of the guys I ride with lost his left foot in a Plane crash. He had a lot of other injury's but in time the left foot should be his only problem. He is getting fitted for a prosthetic foot in about 2 weeks.
Can any one give some advice as to what he may encounter when he gets back on his Bike.... Thank you.

Old 10-09-2009, 08:50 PM
ord sgt
Grand HDF Member

Received 146 Likes on 99 Posts

I know a gentleman who has a prosthetic lower leg. He rides a tri-glide quite well. Your friend may have a problem putting 2 feet solidly on the ground and what about shifting gears? Two major concerns there.

Old 10-09-2009, 09:25 PM
MNPGRider
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 65 Likes on 51 Posts

I had a friend years ago who lost his left leg below the knee. He successfully returned to riding a 750 Honda 4 by making a simple hand shifter attached to the shift lever.

Nowdays you can buy on the aftermarket a push button operated air shifter.

http://www.pingelonline.com/premium_kit.htm

Old 10-09-2009, 09:41 PM
Coastal_Moto_Man
Former Sponsor
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I am not an amputee but I wear braces on my legs so the same concept as a prosthesis. Before having a heal-toe shifter I just rotated the shifter enough that I could get my boot under it and lift up and use my heal for down shifting. I have a friend that is a left leg amputee and showed him how I did it and it works fine for him.

Old 10-09-2009, 09:42 PM
goblish
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I lost my left leg above knee, riding is'nt much different besides the pingle electronic push button shifter, which you can shift if you have toe and heel shifter just is'nt as easy. as for stopping or anything like that it's no different. If he still has his knee there should'nt be a problem on much at all.

Old 10-09-2009, 11:43 PM
BIMC Stinger
Cruiser

I know a guy who lost his left leg below the knee. He has a little more money than any of us, so he had a custom Yaffe chopper built with a right side shifter. They did a uni-brake on the right lever. Cool looking bike for $80,000. But you can't ride it for more than an hour without being REALLY sore.

Old 10-10-2009, 01:49 AM
Dragan
Tourer

I lost part of my left leg to cancer, and couldn't ride until I went to a bike with forward controls. Now, I can get the toe of my boot under the shifter and pull up without contorting my leg too much. Other than that; zero problems. It's all a matter of determination and accomodation. If you're determined to ride, you'll come up with a way to make it happen

Old 10-10-2009, 05:24 AM
cardoctor
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i rode with a guy last yr lost his left leg below the knee. had an electric shifter mechanism
attach to the shifter. if you didnt know it you couldnt tell any difference
here's the link http://www.cyclezonepowersports.com/...ge/4919133.htm
JR

Last edited by cardoctor; 10-10-2009 at 05:28 AM.
Old 10-12-2009, 01:21 AM
NSCoyote
Club Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

i have a brace thingy on my right leg thanks to some heavy equipment malfunctions i have no use of my leg fro mthe knee down, my shifter is also on the right side, i tried a hand shift and found it easy but awkward so i tweaked the foot shifter up so i can slide my foot under it an pull up with my leg as opposed to using my foot or toes. my brace keeps my foot 90 degrees from the leg * foot drop splint is what its called*, when i down shift i just push down on it like i was puttign my foot on a foot rest.

the acuated shifters are nice but up here there not road legal so you might have some problems there. but there are many ways to asisst your buddy if he is persistant he will fidn a way to ride. wether its a hand shift or shift crossover or whatever there is always away to overcome an impairment

Old 10-12-2009, 08:03 AM
cadman311
Club Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This might help:

Attached Thumbnails Need advice from left foot amputee-p3262426.jpg   Need advice from left foot amputee-p3262425.jpg   Need advice from left foot amputee-p3262424.jpg   Need advice from left foot amputee-p3262422.jpg  

Quick Reply: Need advice from left foot amputee