Notices
General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need advice from left foot amputee

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2009, 01:40 PM
Steve On 3
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 31 Likes on 18 Posts

Riding buddy lost his left leg just below the knee and rides his RK without any mods except he changed the height of his front shifter peg higher to allow him to get his foot under it. He uses the heel shifter to upshift and the front to downshift. Other than that, he is careful to make sure when he puts his foot down it's a solid surface, but we all try to do that. He's ridden about 400k miles since he lost his leg. He does have a handicapped license plate on his bike which prompts lots of comment.

He parked in a HC space one day and some azz clown said. " You don't look very handicapped to me", Baron , without missing a beat removed his prosthetic and sat it on his luggage rack and said " You don't look very stupid to me but obviously we were both wrong " The guys wife slapped the azz clown and told him " See I told you to keep your mouth shut".

With the right attitude, their is no reason he can't ride. tell him he's not handicapped, just challenged. Plus he's got a hell of a Halloween costume (pirate) that will make the kids wonder where his leg is

Ride safe, you and your friend
Bubba

Bubba

Old 10-12-2009, 01:55 PM
cadman311
Club Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Boss Hogs sell a bike with the ramp.

Attached Thumbnails Need advice from left foot amputee-martin_conquest_2.jpg  
Old 10-12-2009, 02:25 PM
BillHanna
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A good friend of mine, who is a Harley mechanic and test rides different bikes all the time, lost his leg at the knee years ago. I knew him for a year before I even realized his situation, even though he had ridden my Deuce a few times.

A few years ago I was at Bike Week in Daytona. On the way to our cabin in the woods, I went down in soft sand and twisted my knee and ankle to the point that I could not move them at all. The only way I could shift was by placing my foot on top of the shifter and moving my whole body back and forth to shift. I went to Lowe's and bought a dowel rod and zip-ties to fashion a hand shifter. It was a bit awkward shifting with my right hand, but we had a good week in spite of what may of caused others to end their vacation. We even made it to Key West before riding the 1300 miles back home.
You can do just about anything you put your mind to.

Old 10-12-2009, 05:39 PM
GPHDXLC
Grand HDF Member
Received 357 Likes on 246 Posts

Thanks to all of you for the advice for my friend. ['Bubba' that was a good story.] I think he is definitely determined to ride, and I know he will. He also broke 16 ribs and his pelvis and sternum. Because of the Pelvis he cant put any weight on his good leg yet.
I think he has about 2 more weeks to go before he can start to get around better. One thing I have worried about is backing his bike in to a parking spot on loose gravel. This is a common thing we run in to at some of the out of the way places we ride too. Will this be much of a problem for him?...Thanks.

Last edited by GPHDXLC; 10-14-2009 at 02:44 PM.
Old 10-12-2009, 06:27 PM
Primo
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Rode with a Vietnam Vet last year with 2, yes two, prosthetic legs on a two wheeled Heritage. If he can make it work anyone can.

Old 10-12-2009, 09:00 PM
a_arrogant_sob
Novice

I bought my bike from a guy that had his left leg amputated. Its a right hand shift, but its a 71 Ironhead. Not a comfort cruiser but an inexpensive solution that allowed for him to keep riding.

Old 10-12-2009, 09:10 PM
goblish
Cruiser

As far as the lose gravel goes just becareful and keep your weight to your good leg side. I have run into alot and so far not a problem it will all come to him after he starts riding agin.