General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Concrete or just build a floor?

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2009, 03:31 PM
RoadKingRon1
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by cHarley
Here's my .02 on some of the comments above;

The size if the tie-beam at the top of the long wall makes it clear that the wall is not load bearing, so the stud spacing is fine.

It does appear to me that there is concrete under the framed walls, so you should be good to go there.

Since the walls appear to be on concrete and are not load bearing, there is no need for concrete footers as part of the slab.

I would pour the floor as a simple monolithic concrete slab with expansion joints where the slab meets the existing concrete.

** Provided you plan to use some sort of finish; stain, paint, epoxy tile, etc. on the concrete floor, I would pour the slab using "Fiber Mesh" concrete. That does away with the need for any re-bar or wire mesh in the slab.

100% - I believe he nailed it (pun intended).

Are you running HVAC vents to it? If not I would use blue wall sheetrock or plywood and paint it. Much easier to hang cabinets etc on plywood.

Old 10-09-2009, 03:43 PM
oct1949
Club Member
Received 819 Likes on 805 Posts

never heard of water running through a garage to a drain in the back, I wouldn't put up with that, something else needs fixed also.

Old 10-09-2009, 03:53 PM
cdestuck
Supporter
Veteran: Marine Corp
Received 216 Likes on 102 Posts

First you ought to take care of that water problem in your garage. Are you aware of the "trench drains" they sell at Lowes. About 6" inches by 6" with a grate in the top. This can be buried outside your door and a drain at one or both ends to take it somewhere else.

And as mentioned above, I'd really think about OSB for the side walls. Take your time and butt seams together and top coat with a good semi gloss paint. did this in both my garage and shop and would do it again. Stuff is tougher than drywall and can handle screws for lighter stuff without anchors or things like that. And, you space doesnt look too large. Think about a bit of reading on concrete, section that floor into smaller sections and mix your own with a friend or two. Or if your lucky, do you have one of those places around that will sell you cement, mixed in a trailer, like U CART

Old 10-09-2009, 04:28 PM
cHarley
Club Member
Received 302 Likes on 231 Posts

Originally Posted by hullhorr
Huh! That is an exterior wall thus making it load bearing. It's holding up the roof. Just because there is a beam at the top doesn't mean you don't need proper vertical support. The beam is only as good as the studs underneath supporting it and if there spaced farther apart than they should be you got a weak wall.

For the OP's sake I hope it does have concrete footings under the walls. That would simplify things.
Sorry, but a tie-beam spans between two structural columns. The tie-beam and columns carry the weight above. That framed wall could be knocked out and the roof above will remain supported.

Old 10-09-2009, 04:46 PM
wtrskinut1
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The concrete is not large enough to require expansion joints. Fiber mesh is acceptable to replace any other reinforcing. Use 3500 PSI concrete with a vapor barrier and you should be more than fine. Try to cure it slowly the first 3 days to minimize cracking, although that may be hard indoors.

Old 10-09-2009, 05:40 PM
Graywolf51
Intermediate

lay a few pieces of rebar in there along with the mesh and I seriously doubt that you will have any cracking. Keep it moist by spraying a little water on it for the first 3 days as long as you outside temp is above freezing. Whatever you do don't pour concrete when you know the temp will drop below 30 degrees. Don't know where you are located so this may not be a problem for you.

Old 10-09-2009, 05:59 PM
midnight2005
Banned
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I am not the best expert on concrete, but seeing that I do work in a concrete plant. I offer my advice. If you do go with concrete do not put down plastic. Put down limestone, plastic holds the water into the concrete and makes it come to the top, thus making it brittle on top. although some building codes still require plastic, if we have to put it in, we poke holes all through it before pouring. the gravel will let the water if any flow under without any harm. If you have a moisture problem then I suggest a french drain outside of the foundation. this catches any water and carrys it away from the building. Rebar is the best option but fiber is almost as good and cheaper and easier. good luck whatever you decide

sorry I missed it but do not put water on it either, this also makes the top brittle and causes it to flake as will the plastic. let it cure by itself.

Last edited by midnight2005; 10-09-2009 at 06:04 PM.
Old 10-09-2009, 06:49 PM
vtnightster
Tourer

I've had dirt, wood and concrete floors. I like the concrete best.

If it was me, I'd pass on the permits and engineers. I would also remove the windows for privacy and security.

If i was going to heat the space I would pour the concrete on 2" foam board. Makes all the difference. Why insulate the walls and not the floor is the way I look at it.

Old 10-09-2009, 07:02 PM
Haywired
Road Master

It you are able to build a wood floor, you are certainly able to pour concrete. I would go with a 4" slab with fiber. As many others suggest, redo the drive leading into your garage top divert the water away from your structure. After you get your floor make sure to seal it and then start on your work bench and storage shelves and cabinets. nice aarea to keep the scooter. Good Luck!

Old 10-09-2009, 07:23 PM
hullhorr
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 184 Likes on 182 Posts

Originally Posted by cHarley
Sorry, but a tie-beam spans between two structural columns. The tie-beam and columns carry the weight above. That framed wall could be knocked out and the roof above will remain supported.
Agreed, but based on the picture I don't see anything that resembles a structural column. Based on the OP's description of the room I think that wall is holding up the beam. That was my concern for him.

Quick Reply: Concrete or just build a floor?