General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I owe my instructor lunch

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2009, 12:59 PM
MechsHands
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cool I owe my instructor lunch

Hey everyone,

I run an 06 1200R. I've been riding ab0out a month and a half now with about 2000 miles under me so far. I took the riders edge course before bringing my bike home. I am sitting here thanking the people that suggested it, and also my instructor who was great. While taking the class I also practiced the excersises on my roady before and after class. I am especially glad I did, especially the emergency braking.

Last night I was riding around Columbus. It was twilight and I headed home to let the sun go down since I was going to be heading west and the sun made it hard to see and I was afraid it would make me hard to be seen by the cagers. I run the freeway a lot and am very comfortable. I headed out after the sun was down but it wasnt pitch black yet. I was running in the left lane of a 4 lane freeway in the right part of my lane, at my normal 70-75 mph. I was gaining on a car one lane over to my right. There were no other cars around. I was not likely in any blind spot as I am mindful of that and usually accelerate when I might be in one. Just as my front tire was about a foot from her rear bumper she decided to switch lanes without using a signal for no reason. I didn't even have time to think, just react. I hit both brakes hard enough to screech my tires. She must have heard it or saw me and swerved back into her lane. I was back on the throttle before I realized what happened and took a breath. Thankfully I didn't have anyone on my *** as I would have been tagged by them for sure. I got alongside her and paced her for a while and threw up my hand like WTF. It was a car of 4 teenagers. The driver never looked over but you could tell her friends were telling her what I was doing and they had freaked out. I then sped off and took a long breath. I'm suprised my hands werent shaking

Some people bash the courses etc. I for one know I got my monies worth out of it as my instructor and his time saved my life. I know if I hadn't taken the course I wouldn't have had the practice and I probably would have been hit by her or gone down. I ride with my instructor a lot and now I owe him lunch at least for the next few rides.

MH

Last edited by MechsHands; 10-08-2009 at 01:02 PM.
Old 10-08-2009, 01:02 PM
Time2Cruise
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Glad it turned out as well as it did. Those courses are great.

Old 10-08-2009, 01:03 PM
Dynadude 08
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Glad your safe.

Old 10-08-2009, 01:09 PM
will2002
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2,132 Likes on 1,030 Posts

Nice "save" I would say!

Old 10-08-2009, 01:27 PM
RCB
Road Warrior

Sounds like you got lucky. Continue to practice what you learned in the class. Never become complacent. Have fun and ride Safe.

Old 10-08-2009, 01:35 PM
glideridemike
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 261 Likes on 86 Posts

We just had a bike down in town. Rider was ok, not too sure about the bike.

You can never, NEVER be too careful when riding. Cagers, animals or foreign objects can become your worst enemy at any given time. Riding is fun but when running with traffic you can never let your guard down. And even then it can do no good. One reason I deplore riding the highways.

Your were lucky, thank God. Glad you're ok.

Old 10-08-2009, 01:36 PM
casper gomez
Tourer

right on. keep your head on a swivel bro.

Old 10-08-2009, 01:42 PM
Faast Ed
Banned
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Glad it worked out.

Truth is, she was new to driving (all teenagers are) and learned to watch closer when changing lanes. You likely gained some defensive anticipation knowledge too.
No one got hurt. Win/Win situation. Really would not have helped anything if you raised he11 over it.

Old 10-08-2009, 01:44 PM
brutalbrad
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Nice work. dam teenagers!

Also I believe this line tells me you might have been in a blind spot, "Just as my front tire was about a foot from her rear bumper she decided to switch lanes without using a signal for no reason. "

However if you can see the face of the driver in their rear view mirror then they can see you.

Old 10-08-2009, 01:55 PM
Juve996
Road Captain

That there my friend is the most dangerous time of the day or night to drive or ride, before and after twilight. Glad it worked out and you were able to avoid what could have been a painfull experience. Keep your eyes open folks, people just don't pay attention. Especially young people that are preoccupied with other stuff like friends in the car, phones, ipods, etc. When you come up on cars, look inside. This will tell you a lot on what to expect. The more people in the car, the more conversations and distractions.

Quick Reply: I owe my instructor lunch