General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Enclosed trailer for storage.

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2009, 03:39 PM
clap
Road Master
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Enclosed trailer for storage.

Does anybody store there bike in an enclosed trailer for the winter? What steps should be taken to prevent any rust? Should mI put some electric heat in it. Should I strip it out and insulate walls and roof. Any ideas to help me out.I live in Pa and we have some up and down temps in the winter.
Thanks Dave C

Old 10-07-2009, 03:53 PM
RHPAW
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 15,029 Likes on 6,676 Posts

You may have to arrange to get therapy for your bike when Spring comes, to keep it from thinking it belongs in there.

Old 10-07-2009, 03:59 PM
overhead
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts

I do not see how storing it in a trailer would be much different than storing it in a non-climate controlled garage.

Old 10-07-2009, 04:48 PM
Faast Ed
Banned
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by overhead
I do not see how storing it in a trailer would be much different than storing it in a non-climate controlled garage.
The temperature swings would be larger and faster in the trailer. The air will get hot faster than the metal on your bike. This might create a condensation problem. Not sure I would go that route unless all other options have been ruled out. I stored in a shed before with bad results from condensation.

Maybe with a fan set on low? Electric heat is expensive and a possible fire hazard. Your insulation idea would help, but not an easy or cheap route. If you have to spend money, might as well explore renting some garage space. If I recall, the local dealership used to do it for $300 per season, but if you happen to get a warm winter day you won't have access. They like a few days notice so as to pull it off the shelf with all the other bikes in the way.

I assume the wife don't want it in the house?

Old 10-07-2009, 05:33 PM
RoadKingRon1
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by clap
Does anybody store there bike in an enclosed trailer for the winter? What steps should be taken to prevent any rust? Should mI put some electric heat in it. Should I strip it out and insulate walls and roof. Any ideas to help me out.I live in Pa and we have some up and down temps in the winter.
Thanks Dave C
Nah, just keep a check on your antifreeze....

When we built our house we poured a slab for the motorhome. Three years ago I bought a 8.5X20 enclosed trailer to haul our bikes (which we have yet to do). We use it to store our bikes summer and winter and being the south it is humid year around.

We have had no problems with rust or condensation whatsoever. As a matter of fact the trailer is drier and less humid than our garage. Although our garage is heated and cooled there is condenastion. If you drive your car in after a rain or snow that liquid has to go somewhere. Evaporation leads to condensation.

Just park your bike in it and forget about it. Your only concern should be security, someone hookin up and driving off....

Oh and my next house will be smaller but with a 8 car garage instead of three.

Old 10-07-2009, 07:07 PM
Captain Itch
Sponsor
Received 616 Likes on 332 Posts

An inexpensive fix would be to leave a light bulb plugged in it will dry up any condensation.I am talking about a house hold 120 volt bulb..

Old 10-07-2009, 07:11 PM
Faast Ed
Banned
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by RoadKingRon1
Nah, just keep a check on your antifreeze....

When we built our house we poured a slab for the motorhome. Three years ago I bought a 8.5X20 enclosed trailer to haul our bikes (which we have yet to do). We use it to store our bikes summer and winter and being the south it is humid year around.

We have had no problems with rust or condensation whatsoever. As a matter of fact the trailer is drier and less humid than our garage. Although our garage is heated and cooled there is condenastion. If you drive your car in after a rain or snow that liquid has to go somewhere. Evaporation leads to condensation.

Just park your bike in it and forget about it. Your only concern should be security, someone hookin up and driving off....

Oh and my next house will be smaller but with a 8 car garage instead of three.
You live in the South, He lives in PA
The temperature swings will be much bigger for him.
The colder nights, followed by the sun beating on the trailer will make perfect conditions for condensation.
The temperature swings have more to do with it than the humidity (picture a cold beer can in the warm air - humid or not).

I live in the north, I see this stuff happen.

Last edited by Faast Ed; 10-07-2009 at 07:14 PM.
Old 10-07-2009, 07:12 PM
txfxstrider
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 86 Likes on 55 Posts

+1 on the light bulb.

Old 10-07-2009, 07:37 PM
Wallaby
Club Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The first winter after buying my 04 Train I bought an 6x12 enclosed trailer to use as a garage (my townhome didn't have a garage). I thought about insulating and heating the trailer, but in the end I did nothing (lazy). I lived in Vail, Colorado and it gets a crap load of snow and gets real cold. The bike did get some condensation but come spring it was no worse for it, no rust or corrosion. Others may weigh in on not to do it, but a single light bulb may be all you need to 'burn off' any moisture if it is a concern to you.

Old 10-07-2009, 07:42 PM
firefighter3666
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Ok, for the jokester worried about therapy for the bike. If you use the trailer all the time it's a lot like crate training a dog. Your bike gets used to it...

On a serious note, I've been using a two bike trailer as a garage for my bike for several years. Living in a condo, this was the only option I had to keep the bike close and still out of the elements. To prevent condensation and rust issues you need only take a trip to a local boat supply store. Pickup a bucket of the dessicant dehumidifier crystals that are used for winter storage. Monitor the accumulation of water per the instructions, but you'll be fine for rust. Depending on whether you plan on riding during the winter you may want to do some bike prep. I try to stretch my riding season as long as possible so I don't do anything beyond adding some fuel stabilizer.

Quick Reply: Enclosed trailer for storage.