General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Enclosed trailer for storage.

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2009, 08:25 PM
pirate49
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've used my 7x16 trailer for winter storage quite a few times for both bikes w/ no problems. Only thing i did was put in a portable osilating (sp) heater fan and kept a window barely cracked opened. Put Stabil in the gas tank and a good wax job prior to storage.

Old 10-07-2009, 08:29 PM
Whackone
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I remember reading that the folks who live on the Gulf, LA, Miss Etc had rust problems and would just spray the bike with WD-40 before they put it up. I never have tried it so I don't know what WD-40 would do the the diffedrent finishes. Maybe someone who has tried this will chime in.

Old 10-08-2009, 04:12 PM
NSBRK
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Our bikes have lived in an enclosed trailer for 10 years.

I keep a inexpensive dehumidifier that was purchased from home depot running on a timer to control the moisture. The dehumidifier drains though the bottom of the trailer.

Old 10-08-2009, 05:01 PM
Da Gumpmeister
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Unfortunately, ALL o' you, are RIGHT !!!
But, alas, over half o' you, are WRONG, also.

The key, as mentioned in a few places, is the temp swings.

No OFFENSE to N E 1, but you "TRY" to keep condensation off a scoot, in an enclosed trailer, with a light bulb, EVEN A 300watter, up here, and it's a lot like fartin' in a 75 mph SoDak 'breeze', and then tryin' to smell it!!! Jus' AINT GONNA happen.

On the other hand, you guys that posted, "Throw it in, and FERGIT it" are fortunate enough to live, where that is "the rule". And the rest o' ya, fall somewhere, in the middle. (WELL, there ARE exceptions, to EVERYTHING )

IF you have to keep it in "cold" storage, ONCE it gets 'cold' KEEP IT COLD !!!!
For MOST of my days, cold storage(any place NOT heated), was ALL there was, period. When spring would roll 'round (think warm day for some of you), I'd actually go out, and cover them with several 'moving' blankets, in an attempt to prevent the 'warm' air from getting at 'em. Once you are pretty sure, spring is sprung, then transition them to 'warm', as fast as possible. Usually, rollin' 'em out in the sun, will do it, NICELY.

Yes, there ARE peeps up here, who do use enclosed trailers for storage. The key, is keeping it in the shade, and 'cold', once it has gotten, that way.

There is a bunch o' chit you'll wanna do to it, FIRST, 'nother thread, maybe???