General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How much do you get charged for "Shop Supplies"?

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2009, 05:21 PM
kruzin
Road Captain
Received 13 Likes on 4 Posts

If you got charged for a full can of PB and didn't get the rest of the can that is a parts man issue. They should have charged it to the shop and not the customer...hence shop supplies.

Old 10-06-2009, 05:26 PM
im
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 857 Likes on 647 Posts

I dislike shop fee's.
I consider them a form of trickery
BUT
it IS the way things are done now from resort fee's, hospital fee's, cell phone fee's even some eating places with live music charge add a fee to your bill etc.
EVERYTHING seems to have a hidden, not up front, not clearly displayed fee.
BUT it really bothers me..
I would prefer one real price for hourly rate and that would be it.
I think it is done in order to seem cheaper/less expensive when giving verbal prices.

Old 10-06-2009, 05:28 PM
jsimo7
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by iclick
I'm a big hypocrite since I impose similar charges in my business, but why do they limit transfer of these expenses to just a few items like rags and WD40? Why not add for electricity, water, depreciation of the building and other assets, interest on inventory, fluctuating value of the dollar, Dow-Jones average, current price for treasury notes, inflation, etc.? Instead of surcharging for only a few items, just cover everything. In reality I think shop supplies, like every other expense, should be covered in the hourly charge. That way we can make an easy judgment if we're comparing the rates of different shops.

What I really object to is being charged for a can of PJ1 chain lube, or whatever, for a job that doesn't even require it, or requires no more than a squirt or two. This happened to me more than once.
Well said .. My family has owned several small places of business and my feeling is the owner of the business provides the building, tools, supplies, electric, insurance, rags for his hands, ect ect.
The customer pays the shop owner to work on his bike at a labor rate that is fair to both parties and inclusive of the costs needed for the shop owner to supply the service.

Old 10-06-2009, 06:02 PM
larsfum
Stellar HDF Member
Received 458 Likes on 323 Posts

Shop fees should be a normal part of overhead, and built into the labor fee. They are a form of inflation creep.

Would you expect your local bar to charge you for things like floor cleaner (you want to drink at a clean bar, don't you), swizzle sticks, fruit garnish, bar towels, glassware, refrigeration, etc. on top of the price of your drink, or would you expect this as normal part of service?

I could go on with other comparisons, but I think you get the idea.

It's the service that keeps a customer coming back, and the nicle and diming that makes them vote with their feet.

Old 10-06-2009, 06:05 PM
Texas Fat Boy
Extreme HDF Member
Received 34 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by larsfum
Shop fees should be a normal part of overhead, and built into the labor fee. They are a form of inflation creep.

Would you expect your local bar to charge you for things like floor cleaner (you want to drink at a clean bar, don't you), swizzle sticks, fruit garnish, bar towels, glassware, refrigeration, etc. on top of the price of your drink, or would you expect this as normal part of service?

I could go on with other comparisons, but I think you get the idea.

It's the service that keeps a customer coming back, and the nicle and diming that makes them vote with their feet.
Exactly.

Old 10-06-2009, 06:39 PM
will2002
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2,132 Likes on 1,030 Posts

Originally Posted by jsimo7
Well said .. My family has owned several small places of business and my feeling is the owner of the business provides the building, tools, supplies, electric, insurance, rags for his hands, ect ect.
The customer pays the shop owner to work on his bike at a labor rate that is fair to both parties and inclusive of the costs needed for the shop owner to supply the service.
That is the way I would rather it be!

Old 10-06-2009, 07:45 PM
John TN
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

You must figure total overhead cost in a business and apply it to an hourly rate in some form or fashion for labor service,,, in a single shared cost, or divided into budgeted business departments, even down to what the total overhead costs per hour, pens, paper, computers, building maintenance,, you have to pay the overhead before you can make a profit, it takes a lot of cash flow money to make money, tools break, new equipment is needed, property taxes go up, material costs go up or down, legal fees, book keeping, taxes on the business, city, county, state, federal,, it's a constant battle to stay on top of running a business.

Old 10-06-2009, 07:54 PM
Glenn W
Tourer
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by jsimo7
bingo bingo bingo
I'd be embarrassed to charge a materials fee for a drop of locktite, a few shop rags, whatever. It's different on an oil change where ya charge for the oil, but the little incidentals? No way. Yes, they are legitimate expenses, but so is insurance. Why not tack on a buck for insurance on each job, maybe a few cents for stamps when they pay their bills? If the hourly rate doesn't cover expenses it needs to be raised, or expenses need to be reduced. Don't fiddlyfokk a customer and tell them it's OK 'cause you do it to everyone.

Old 10-06-2009, 08:20 PM
rags
Tourer
Received 17 Likes on 9 Posts

Shop supplies charges, extended warranties, and document fees (above and beyond required local and state goverment fees). These are all "cash cows" for dealers. They love them.

Old 10-06-2009, 08:36 PM
SKYCLIMBER
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I see about a $4.00 charge which is no problem. They always wash mine when i bring it in for service. Thats worth it to me.

Quick Reply: How much do you get charged for "Shop Supplies"?