General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dealer can't fix it...what to do?

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2009, 04:57 PM
BassCatcher
Grand HDF Member
Received 81 Likes on 40 Posts
Default Dealer can't fix it...what to do?

I've got an 08 1200C Sportster with 4000 miles. About two months ago I began to notice a clicking or ticking noise from what sounded like the primary. Quiet at first but after it warms up you can hear it riding down the road with V&H side shots and a full face helmet.

It does it when parked in neutral and pretty much through all the gears. Anyways, it is still under warranty so I took it to the local HD dealer. The mechanic comes out to the parking lot, takes it for a spin and when he comes back he tells me, yup, shouldn't be making that sound. I'm thinking this is good, a least he is not telling me it is normal. Three hours later I swing back to pick up my bike and he tells me he took the cover off, adjusted the chain (didn't really need it) and checked everything else he could think of...but still couldn't fix it. He told me he honestly doesn't know why it is making that noise, but to go ahead and ride it anyways.

What the heck? Any advice from you more experienced folks would sure be appreciated.

Old 10-05-2009, 05:00 PM
harleydavis
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 31 Likes on 21 Posts

It could be coming from the hydraulic lifters. When one of the lifters goes bad, it will cause a ticking sound.

Old 10-05-2009, 05:00 PM
ChromeJunkie
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Navy
Received 4,209 Likes on 1,835 Posts

Find another dealer and get a second or third opinion. Make 'em fix it before warranty expires.

Old 10-05-2009, 05:05 PM
DannyZ71
Extreme HDF Member
Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by ChromeJunkie
Find another dealer and get a second or third opinion. Make 'em fix it before warranty expires.

+1. And if you can't find a dealer with any knowledge, contact HD.

If all else fails, demand a new motor and tranny from them.

Old 10-05-2009, 05:13 PM
Unome
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

As stated by others, keep after them. And document every time they look into it and results so that if it finally goes kablooie on ya, you have records they were supposed to be fixing it. Definitely get it fixed before warranty if possible.

Old 10-05-2009, 05:58 PM
sqdealgeorge
Road Warrior
Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

If it's the trany and you have to fix it out of warranty it will cost you big bucks ! I mean big

Old 10-05-2009, 06:01 PM
pococj
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,297 Likes on 484 Posts

Originally Posted by Unome
As stated by others, keep after them. And document every time they look into it and results so that if it finally goes kablooie on ya, you have records they were supposed to be fixing it. Definitely get it fixed before warranty if possible.
Keep your documentation that says you took it to the dealer 'cause of the noise, and the results of the inspection. As long as you have that documentation your warranty is good. After all, there is a known problem, and they didn't fix it. Warranty doesn't expire just 'cause time/miles ran out when there is a known and documented problem the dealer can't/won't/doesn't fix.

Old 10-05-2009, 06:11 PM
BassCatcher
Grand HDF Member
Received 81 Likes on 40 Posts

Some good advice. Thanks.

Yes, I documented the first visit to them but I will do as suggested and make another appointment with them tomorrow.

Never occurred to me that could be coming from the lifters. Hmmmm.

oldairboater
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Another dealer. With another mechanic. Don't give them information about the other mechanic's inability to fix it. I think it is always better to let someone else troubleshoot it without possibly prejudicing their conclusion by someone else's opinion or lack of opinion.

RCB
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Find another dealer and contact H-D headquarters.

Quick Reply: Dealer can't fix it...what to do?