General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ruined gloves...what happened and how to fix?

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2009, 01:43 PM
nighttraingirl
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Ruined gloves...what happened and how to fix?

So I went to put on my gloves the other day and they are totally oily and slimy. Have no idea what happened to them. I put them back where they always stay when I am done with them, in open air beside my helmet in the garage. The only think I can think is they might have bit a tiny bit damp but they have gotten soaked thru many x before and have always dried fine. They smell and feel like someone dumped neatsfoot oil all over them. They are so bad that it was hard to hold onto the grips, and when I adjusted my mirror, it left smudges... also hands are oily when I take them off. WTF. I am beginning to wonder if the guy who shares the other half of my garage thought it would be nice to oil them?!? I'm pretty pissed because they are HD brand gloves, and would be like 50 bucks to replace. I would not even have spent money for HD brand for myself, they were a gift. They are about 5 years old but WERE like new. I take good care of my stuff and it really annoys me that they are messed up.

Right now they are sitting in a pile of cornstarch. Any other ideas how to fix them?
NTGIRL

Old 10-05-2009, 01:53 PM
Damage_Inc
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Sounds like someone oiled them... No big deal if they used oil to that helps preserve and protect the leather like mink oil etc... if they feel slimy I would just get a nice dry rag and wipe any excess off the gloves and use a hair dryer to heat them up a bit. That should help them to absorp whatever is left on the surface and the glove should go back to it's normal look and feel albeit softer. Then kindly tell whoever would have had access to the garage to "not to touch your stuff!!"

Old 10-05-2009, 01:55 PM
frog13
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

I would definitely talk to the person who shares the garage, just moisture didn't cause this is my guess. Personally I would recommend saddle soap, probably lots of it, inside and out. Let them dry good and then use a good leather conditioner to soften them up. I like Feibing's products but there are many others. One time my kid bumped my favorite leather gloves off the bench into a pan of oil where they sat a few days without my knowledge. I tried a bunch of stuff, finally resorted to Dawn detergent and scrubbed them up and rinsed them several times. Finished off with Feibing's, still using Feibing's on them a few times a year, good as new even four years later. Leather is hardy, they can take it. Oh yeah, if it's your garage buddy, I say you oil his car seats and steering wheel.

Old 10-05-2009, 02:01 PM
Damage_Inc
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

P.S I used Montana's pitch blend leather dressing for my gloves and they stayed a bit tacky for a week or so before returning to normal. A minor PITA because no one wants smudges on there grips and mirrors and fuel cap etc... But my point is that it does get better!

Old 10-05-2009, 02:07 PM
golfblues
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,540 Likes on 932 Posts

Wrap them in paper towels & baking soda to help absorb whatever is on/in them.

Old 10-05-2009, 03:35 PM
silvrbill
Road Warrior
Received 58 Likes on 42 Posts

Rub 'em in the dirt, they're just gloves.

Old 10-05-2009, 03:58 PM
piasspj
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 339 Likes on 195 Posts

Take them to the sink and wash them with dishwashing soap. Then turn them inside out and wash the insides. Rinse well (including wringing them out a few times). Hang til the inside is almost dry (you can press them between news paper to speed the drying process).
Turn them right side out and wear them, they should end up fitting better than before.
You can retreat them with your favorite leather product.

Old 10-05-2009, 04:03 PM
schumacher
Club Member
Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by piasspj
Take them to the sink and wash them with dishwashing soap.
use Dawn. I do for everything

Old 10-05-2009, 04:18 PM
Brad Fatboy
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Dawn soap and put them in a container with rice and that will suck the moisture right out of them, works on electronics also--cell phone, IPODS, ect

Old 10-05-2009, 04:45 PM
ord sgt
Grand HDF Member
Veteran: Air Force
Received 153 Likes on 101 Posts

Originally Posted by Brad Fatboy
Dawn soap and put them in a container with rice and that will suck the moisture right out of them, works on electronics also--cell phone, IPODS, ect
I would advise against washing cell phones, I-pods and such with Dawn!!!!!!LOL

Quick Reply: Ruined gloves...what happened and how to fix?