General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Permit renewal in North Carolina

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2009, 04:03 PM
Barrenmug
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by skootchnc
Don't get pizzed at me, for this..... but you might want to read up on the changes in permits
http://www.ncleg.net/Sessions/2009/B.../PDF/S64v6.pdf
Of particular interest to you would be

A motorcycle learner's permit expires twelve months after it is issued. issued and may be renewed for one additional six-month period.

Make sure you send Sen Rand a personal thank you
So is this effective now or does it wait til 1/1/2011?

Old 10-03-2009, 07:57 PM
Shaved Ice
Road Warrior
Received 55 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by 1993mooglide
V-rod is not a full sized harley, simple as that. I've been riding with the apes for quite some time and I have yet to have any problems on the road. However, most of my friends tell me from experience that i should take the riding test on a smaller bike without apes. I really can't believe i'm sitting here defending my riding abilities-all i really wanted to know was if i had to re-take the written test andy eye test to renew my permit, READ THE FU--ING QUESTION!
So let me get this straight. You want to ride around all day on a bike you don't feel comfortable enough to test on. Then you want a 'easy' bike to test on so you can jump back on your 'full sized Harley' and continue endangering those around you. The test isn't designed to trick *** you. It is designed to see if you can handle YOUR motorcycle on NC roads. Why don't you just man up and take the test? That or get a bike you can handle instead of just one that looks cool.

Last edited by Shaved Ice; 10-03-2009 at 08:04 PM.
Old 10-03-2009, 08:42 PM
fmudge
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just a thought. If you don't have something constructive or pertinent to the question asked, how about keeping your opinion to yourself. My wife and I have both taken Rider's Edge classes. The class uses the Buell Blast and riding the figure eight is not easy in that forum. I would recommend finding the time to take at least the MSF course. It is very easy with your completion certificate to convert your permit to an endoresement. Having never had to take the road test on my Road King, I would not envy anyone who had to.

I would also suggest taking the Ride Like a Pro class. I have practiced the techniques in that course and have tremendously improved my comfort level in tight turns. Getting complacent on a motorcycle is a good way to get hurt or worse.

Good luck...

Old 10-03-2009, 09:12 PM
Shaved Ice
Road Warrior
Received 55 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by fmudge
Just a thought. If you don't have something constructive or pertinent to the question asked, how about keeping your opinion to yourself...
You did the same thing I did on my first post. You didn't answer his question but gave him some pertinent things he may not have thought of. I responded first to his question on page one and was very polite with my suggestions. He responded rudely so I replied in kind. My 'just a thought" to you wouild be to read the entire thread or "keep your opinion to yourself". You missed the fact that he has already considered a safety course that you suggested. And you missed my polite first suggestions.

The fact is he needs to call the DMV but for some reason he thought he would get an official answer here.

Last edited by Shaved Ice; 10-03-2009 at 09:19 PM.
Old 10-03-2009, 10:21 PM
midnight2005
Banned
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I tend to agree with Shaved Ice here. The test is to see if you can operate the bike safely. If you can not do this in a controlled environment, you have no business being on the road with it. The fact that you are a new rider with big apes on your bike is scary by itself.

Old 10-04-2009, 07:01 AM
dcobra23
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Take the test already even if you have to rent a bike to do it.

Old 10-04-2009, 10:09 AM
fireman9513
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by skootchnc
Don't get pizzed at me, for this..... but you might want to read up on the changes in permits
http://www.ncleg.net/Sessions/2009/B.../PDF/S64v6.pdf
Of particular interest to you would be

A motorcycle learner's permit expires twelve months after it is issued. issued and may be renewed for one additional six-month period.

Make sure you send Sen Rand a personal thank you
Yeh, thats why I said in post #12 that it is or was for 18 months.
Ill tell you I work for the state and it really ticks me off all the things they keep changing and charging people for.
Any how, the op should go take the rode test, on his bike, and if he does not pass, renew his permit.
I know that I now ride a heritage but did ride an electragide and I could pass it on either bike.
The trick is, 1) dont get intimidated
2) take your time, use your clutch, rear brake, dont get to fast.
3) if they have the parking lot marked at the local DMV office, go there after they close and practice the course.
Get the study guide from the DMV office and it has all the road test in it, because they want you to be able to practice them to better your skills.

There are some folks that ride forever on a permit, why? I dont know, but think about this, if you ever take a passenger for a ride and all you have is a permit you are breaking the law, and god forbid you get in an accident and they get hurt.
The court whould burn your hindparts.

Old 10-04-2009, 10:12 AM
fireman9513
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey mooglide, where are you located at in NC by the way?