General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Permit renewal in North Carolina

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2009, 08:43 PM
Shaved Ice
Road Warrior
Received 55 Likes on 46 Posts

Well I guess a VROD isn't a full size bike then. I mean, the center of gravity is lower, but the rake is longer than any other HD and it didn't seem that hard to me. Believe me, this isn't my ego talking, I am an average rider and didn't have ANY problem with it. Nothing even seem liked much of a challenge. Maybe I had Santa as a grader.

Old 10-02-2009, 08:49 PM
fireman9513
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Barrenmug
I don't think you have to take the test again. Just show up and they'll renew it for another couple of years. I drove an Ultra for my road test when I got my endorsement.
Permit is/ or was for 18 months

Old 10-02-2009, 08:54 PM
fireman9513
Road Captain

Originally Posted by wideopen1967
I have never seen anyone pass the driving part of the test on a full size bike.
#1) unless they changed something, the only thing you have to do to renew the permit is take the eye/ sign test.

#2) I took my road test in New Bern when I had my 1200 custom sportster.
The guy inside said id never pass on a Harley, but I did.
The problem in New Bern is that the lot is not level, going away from the officer its a slight downhill and at the end is all the loose asphalt where you turn around then its an uphill ride.

The officer said that a guy had came in and done the test and scored perfect on a goldwing.

Old 10-03-2009, 07:30 AM
Barrenmug
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by fireman9513
Permit is/ or was for 18 months

Yep I think your right. I didn't think the driving test was all that bad. I'm a long way from being the exceptionally talented driver............if I were I wouldn't be sitting here with my leg broke in 3 places from wrecking the bike in a gravel parking lot.

Old 10-03-2009, 11:38 AM
1993mooglide
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

V-rod is not a full sized harley, simple as that. I've been riding with the apes for quite some time and I have yet to have any problems on the road. However, most of my friends tell me from experience that i should take the riding test on a smaller bike without apes. I really can't believe i'm sitting here defending my riding abilities-all i really wanted to know was if i had to re-take the written test andy eye test to renew my permit, READ THE FU--ING QUESTION!

Old 10-03-2009, 11:44 AM
Barrenmug
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 1993mooglide
V-rod is not a full sized harley, simple as that. I've been riding with the apes for quite some time and I have yet to have any problems on the road. However, most of my friends tell me from experience that i should take the riding test on a smaller bike without apes. I really can't believe i'm sitting here defending my riding abilities-all i really wanted to know was if i had to re-take the written test andy eye test to renew my permit, READ THE FU--ING QUESTION!
Just show up, no test or anything to renew.

Old 10-03-2009, 11:56 AM
frenchman
Elite HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by wideopen1967
I have never seen anyone pass the driving part of the test on a full size bike.
I could send you my pic, youm would have seen atleast one. Took my test in june or so, on my 01 FXST. OK, I ride since 20+ years, but still, is it full size enough for you?

Old 10-03-2009, 03:42 PM
fireman9513
Road Captain

Originally Posted by 1993mooglide
I answerd your question, being as how I rode on a permit for a year and sold my bike then before it ran out at 18 months I renewed it.
I bought another bike soon after and then a month or so after went and got the regular license so I could test ride bikes at the dealership.

Old 10-03-2009, 03:46 PM
fireman9513
Road Captain

Originally Posted by Barrenmug
Yep I think your right. I didn't think the driving test was all that bad. I'm a long way from being the exceptionally talented driver............if I were I wouldn't be sitting here with my leg broke in 3 places from wrecking the bike in a gravel parking lot.
No, gravel is tricky, at least certain types, will put you down quick if you arent careful.
I took a shortcut the other day on a forest road and there were 3 bikes riding that dirt road.
They were going really slow and had their feet down because the loose sand and gravel was causing them some major sucky riding.

Old 10-03-2009, 03:59 PM
skootchnc
Grand HDF Member
Veteran: Air Force
Received 502 Likes on 260 Posts

Don't get pizzed at me, for this..... but you might want to read up on the changes in permits
http://www.ncleg.net/Sessions/2009/B.../PDF/S64v6.pdf
Of particular interest to you would be

A motorcycle learner's permit expires twelve months after it is issued. issued and may be renewed for one additional six-month period.

Make sure you send Sen Rand a personal thank you

Quick Reply: Permit renewal in North Carolina