General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Almost smacked by a car, need to be more visible

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2009, 06:27 AM
RoadGlideBlues
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Almost smacked by a car, need to be more visible

My son just got his MC license a few weeks ago and the training course he took informed him that the majority of accidents occur from cars turning Left in front of bikes. Well I have never had it happen to me, until yesterday.

I was putting along in a busy location with a bunch of commercial driveways on both sides of the road, I was probably doing 30MPH. It was 5PM prime commute traffic time. I was very alert to all the activities around me, when...... This guy in a car on my left in a driveway decides to shoot across busy traffic in a small opening and take a Left into my lane right into me! I didn't have time to hit the brakes, but I was able to yank the Bike right and ride the very edge of the road, as there was a big granite curb on the right so I couldn't go into the shoulder. I looked over and he appeared to see me after he had turned but it was too late. WOOPS.

I had my HI beams on and have Rinehart pipes that rumble pretty loud, but it was 50 degrees out and most cars have their windows closed.. I need a way to make my front end visible, any thoughts?? I am thinking of mounting some powerful driving lights on the crash bars? I don't want to look like a dork, but I also would like to stay alive so I can keep riding!

Old 10-01-2009, 06:41 AM
BigGdawg
Club Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I don't know what advice to give you but be alert and keep watching because they are trying to kill you. Seriously, the cagers don't seem to use a lick of sense and if you were painted neon pink they would somehow "not see" you.

The big thing I think is don't make the lights less than they are on a standard dresser. I wonder about the guys who try to nip off the turn signals and mount them inboard next to the taillight.

Old 10-01-2009, 06:45 AM
KopperTop
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Don't let a car/truck/SUV in front of you set a screen. Drop back a little, cover the brakes and be in the right gear. I expect every car positioned in a driveway like that is going to do what that guy did. It kinda poisons your attitude about riding sometimes, but that's life on the mean streets. You can be surrounded by a marching band and circus bears and they won't see you.

Old 10-01-2009, 06:46 AM
BigDaddyMike
Club Member

Motolights, light up the day and the night!

Old 10-01-2009, 06:50 AM
beaucoup_dinkydow
Tourer

I am a big believer in visibilty.
With that said, I was in Raleigh, NC a few months back.
Doing the speed limit, 35mph, with both sets of lights (headlight & passing)on, and wearing a HD Hi-Vis vest.
A woman, apparently with her head up and locked, pulled out of a side street
to my right, causing me to lay the bike down.
Needless to say, I was not a happy camper.
Maybe I was lulled into a false sense of security.
Guess what I'm trying to say is that we can take all kinds of precautions, but
they won't overcome a bad case of "dumb#ss'.

Old 10-01-2009, 06:52 AM
Jinks
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I gave a friend a set of PIAA lights that he's mounting on his Road Glide crash bars. They'll add a couple of bright spots & form a triangle of light that "may" help him be seen.

Nothing wrong with being visible, but don't think that will keep you safe. What you did is what will keep you riding. Stay alert, know what's going on around you, maintain a position that allows you somewhere to maneuver to avoid collisions, & *NEVER* trust the other driver! It's tough, but it's the price we pay.

Congratulations on avoiding the accident.

Old 10-01-2009, 06:53 AM
wonbyone
Intermediate

BigDaddyMike... notice that you also have the Kuryakyn LED front turn signal running lights. Did they help much with the visibility?
I've ordered some, and have had the moto lights on other bikes, they are great. Best Regards, -- Bill

Old 10-01-2009, 07:10 AM
geezer glide 56
Road Warrior
Received 102 Likes on 38 Posts

Lane placement helps a lot too. Try to position your self in your lane to be the most visible to the cars you suspect might try to pull out or cut in front of you. Sometimes just moving from one side to the other in your own lane will make you more visible. The main thing is Trust no one in a cage.

Old 10-01-2009, 07:12 AM
geezrglider
Cruiser

I have seen the pulsating headlight and am impressed how quickly it draws your attn. to it. Might be something I add in the future, however its not going to be a fix all for ignorant cagers. My riding bud totaled his Rk a month ago when a parked car took a left right in front of him. Fortunatley a couple of Leo's were right behind in in a crusier and saw the whole thing. She didn't even care about him just her dam Lexus!

Be alert and always expect the unexpected!

Old 10-01-2009, 07:44 AM
BigDaddyMike
Club Member

Originally Posted by wonbyone
BigDaddyMike... notice that you also have the Kuryakyn LED front turn signal running lights. Did they help much with the visibility?
I've ordered some, and have had the moto lights on other bikes, they are great. Best Regards, -- Bill
I have the Panacea System. I had it on the last 2 bikes. I know it adds a lot to visibility on the rear and the LEDs are brighter in the front also. I have had zero problems with these3 years running, and took them off my last bike to install on this one.

Quick Reply: Almost smacked by a car, need to be more visible