General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Almost smacked by a car, need to be more visible

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2009, 09:35 AM
Doc Intrepid
Road Master
Location: In the Pacific Northwest, a few hours east of Seattle.
Received 27 Likes on 16 Posts

As a driver I hate those modulating headlights, precisely because it looks like a cop is pulling me over when a motorcycle pulls up behind me.

As a motorcyclist, I think they're pretty effective - for the same reason. Most driver's initially assume you're a cop - that is one thing that gets most driver's attention pretty quickly!

(Now if only we could also run blue strobes on our bike during the day, ...I'm SURE they would make us MUCH more visible to more drivers out there!)

Old 10-01-2009, 09:48 AM
Harleypingman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 44 Likes on 40 Posts

Just because there isn't a perfect solution doesn't mean that adding more lights won't save your butt 90% of the time. I added HD fog lamps and rode with them "on" 100% of the time. At $150, they are a great value IMO and would highly recommend them to anyone without fairing lowers on their bike. As previously mentioned, they are extremely bright even during daytime riding, and create an unusual light pattern that is noticeable to cagers.

When I removed the fog lamps to install fairing lowers, I installed Motolights and they too provide a lot of light in an unusual pattern.

I've been considering a healight modulator, and will probably add one this winter once I decide on a vendor and understand how to mount and wire it.

PS: HD's parts catalog doesn't list the HD fog lamps as fitting Road Glides, but many here have installed them on their RG's. If I had an RG, I'd have the HD fog lamps on it.

Edit: Lights in conjunction with vigilant riding habits (scanning to identify potential problems, preparing in advance to deal with them, etc.) make for a safer ride.

Last edited by Harleypingman; 10-01-2009 at 10:11 AM.
Old 10-01-2009, 09:54 AM
IzZy63
Road Master
Veteran: Marine Corp
Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Anybody knows who sells those modulating lights?

Old 10-01-2009, 10:04 AM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member
Received 48 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by IzZy63
Anybody knows who sells those modulating lights?
Kisan Technology

To further comment on the OP's experience, I would not depend on the "loud-pipes save lives" concept, as it mostly doesn't work. As evidence, in the past year I've had at least five cagers change lanes with me already in their target lane. If they can't hear me when I'm 10 feet from their ear they can't hear me 100' in front. What I do is to make myself as visible as possible, first by making sure the high-beams are one and installing a modulator. I think the latter helps greatly because a flashing headlight is more attention-getting that one that doesn't. Since installing mine (Kisan Pathblazer) in 2004 I haven't had one incident of cars pulling out as described. In those six years I've had maybe three people slow down or even pull over, obviously thinking I'm a cop. Once or twice someone flashes their lights at me as if to say "your headlight is malfunctioning," I suppose. One day a guy next to me at a red light told me my headlight had a short. Other than this I've had no negative issues with it.

That said, I am not stupid and always assume they will do it anyway, so I try to get ready. When a cager is positioned in such a way that he/she could infringe on my right-of-way (nice way of saying "pull out in front of me") I slow down, have foot and hand on the brake lever/pedal, and my left hand on the horn button. My eyes are on the cager's wheel and if it starts moving I'm on the horn and start hitting the brakes. I also look to my rear to make sure nobody is tailgating, and if so slow down even more or change lanes.

BTW, I'm a firm believer in loud horns. My Rivco air horns fill that bill and I consider them an essential in the fight to stay alive in traffic.

Last edited by iclick; 10-01-2009 at 10:16 AM.
Old 10-01-2009, 10:06 AM
jeffs900s
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

While I agree that extra visiblity can't hurt, I don't think it's as helpful as we'd hope. I seriously doubt that they don't see you coming - they are not paying attention and simply fail to react to the traffic situation. In other words, they see you, they just aren't dealing with what's going on - and generally don't really care.

I used to know a crane operator that had people constantly cutting him off - we're talking about a giant yellow crane that would crush a car like a pop can, and people didn't yield right-of-way to that thing. They certainly saw it coming - unless they were blind. They just didn't need/want to do anything about it.

You could ride around on a neon yellow bike with 200 strobe lights and your head on fire, people are still going to cut you off. Solid defensive riding techniques (and hope for a bit of luck) is about all we can do.

Old 10-01-2009, 10:33 AM
skratch
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,367 Likes on 2,541 Posts

Originally Posted by geezrglider
when a parked car took a left right in front of him.

Be alert and always expect the unexpected!
damn, its getting so bad that now even parked cars are trying to take us out?

Old 10-01-2009, 10:40 AM
rh8234
Elite HDF Member
Received 34 Likes on 16 Posts

Occasionally, I ride the Ultra with two 3' X 5' American Flags mounted on flag poles that put them about 3 feet above the tour pack. I have noticed that people in cars do see me coming when I ride with the flags. Of course, you can't ride like that all the time, and on the other bikes I have no easy way to mount big flags like that. When I approach intersections and driveways with traffic, I do a lot of weaving (in my lane) and sometimes I believe the erratic weaving helps drivers notice I am there. I never assume that drivers will see me, and I always assume that they will make a deliberate attempt to pull out in front of me.

Old 10-01-2009, 11:00 AM
gunner11
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

A friend of mine was t-boned yesterday by a woman who shouldn't have even been driving. He had spent about 20 grand customizing his bike, and when he went through the intersection she just kept comiing and nailed him. He's critical and they keep having to take sections of his skull to relive pressure on his brain, and if the metal rod doesn't work in his leg, they may have to take it off. I'm sure he could use some prayers sent his way. His name is Ben. Drive like they are out to get you, because they are!

Old 10-01-2009, 11:02 AM
mduggan
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Two days ago, at the end of my street, while waiting to turn left onto a side street, a school bus with 22 elementary school students onboard was rear-ended by a car that never even hit the brakes. This was a full-size Superior Coach just like most of us rode to school. There were no blind curves or hills on the road. It was a beautuful sunny 80 degree afternoon in northeast Florida. It makes you wander what the 19 year old female driver was thinking as she and her 40 year old father were being decapitated by the bus that they were going under at about 60 miles per hour. Thankfully, no innocent children were seriously injured as the car went under the bus and burst into flames. Even the 16 year old back seat passenger in the car survived.

I only mention this sad story to make one point.
DON'T EVER ASSUME THAT THEY SEE YOU! THEY DON'T!
If they run into firetrucks, buses, garbage trucks, cranes and everything else on the road, more lights or loud pipes on your bike won't help you be seen.

Since you aren't visible you must be vigilant. Your only hope is to be the most vigilant, attentive person on the road. It's a big responsibility, but all of us who choose to ride must accept it or suffer the consequences.

Old 10-01-2009, 12:02 PM
rh8234
Elite HDF Member
Received 34 Likes on 16 Posts

"DON'T EVER ASSUME THAT THEY SEE YOU! THEY DON'T!
If they run into firetrucks, buses, garbage trucks, cranes and everything else on the road, more lights or loud pipes on your bike won't help you be seen.

Since you aren't visible you must be vigilant. Your only hope is to be the most vigilant, attentive person on the road. It's a big responsibility, but all of us who choose to ride must accept it or suffer the consequences."

Absolutely correct, but even being vigilant - it IS possible for any of us to get creamed by an idiot while we are sitting at a light or in another situation where there is absolutely nothing you can do to avoid it. That too, is a risk we take every time we ride.

Quick Reply: Almost smacked by a car, need to be more visible