General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Almost smacked by a car, need to be more visible

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2009, 07:51 AM
JayStronghawk
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 280 Likes on 215 Posts

Have had idiots pull out in front of me in my Chevy Silverado 2500 with more lights on it than a Christmas tree .. You Can't Fix Stupid.. Best defense is figure every cager is out there to get you...

Old 10-01-2009, 07:54 AM
agapsdiver
Road Master
Received 133 Likes on 57 Posts

Add a couple driving lights like BigDaddyMike has and run them
thru a modulator.

Old 10-01-2009, 08:06 AM
Cheeze
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have a 2010 Road Glide and because i want to put lowers on it I went with the Moto-Lights 50W bulbs. Expensive but they sure seem to help. I had a truck make a left in front of me while driving my trusty Honda CL70 when I was about 16, i have never forgot that. Lucky.....broken arm and some road rash but I got'er stopped in time. Still spooks me to this day!

Old 10-01-2009, 08:08 AM
Apex Rider
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Modulating headlight will get peoples attention.It has saved my bacon many many times.
People start out in front of me ,then see the light (pun intended) and stop dead in their tracks.

Worth every penny.

Last edited by Apex Rider; 10-01-2009 at 09:34 AM.
Old 10-01-2009, 08:14 AM
Barrenmug
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sad thing is I think we can add a lot to make ourselves more visible, but people just don't pay attention. You can't fix that. I have them look right at me and pull out or we will be in a group of 5 0r 6 (all touring bikes) and they pull out in front of all of us. Tons of lights and they still do it. Hopefully when they do see the extra precautions we take it will save a life or 2 but like someone else said you can't fix stupid. We have to drive like every car is out to get us, doesn't matter if your lit up like a Christmas tree or not. Gotta always play defence. jmho

Old 10-01-2009, 08:23 AM
jimmything
Stellar HDF Member
Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by JayStronghawk
Have had idiots pull out in front of me in my Chevy Silverado 2500 with more lights on it than a Christmas tree .. You Can't Fix Stupid.. Best defense is figure every cager is out there to get you...
You got that right Jay. They have got to outlaw cell phones and texting, no doubt about it. Then all we'll have to watch out for is the drunks, idiots and blind blue hairs.

Old 10-01-2009, 08:25 AM
piasspj
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 339 Likes on 195 Posts

People pull out in front of Semis, Fire trucks, Trains you name it.
Loud pipes don't help much with people in front of you.

Old 10-01-2009, 09:13 AM
frontiercat
Elite HDF Member
Received 39 Likes on 28 Posts

My older brother was commenting the other day about a motorcycle following him on the interstate. He said that the headlight was flickering and drove him crazy. He asked me if it was legal. I told him it was legal during the day and it was a headlight modulator.

Stands to reason that if it can bother a driver, they can obviously see it and notice it.

My brother isn't exactly an inattentive driver, but he did make a nasty comment about flickering.

Old 10-01-2009, 09:25 AM
kingwoodlee
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Apex Rider
Mobulating headlight will get peoples attention.It has saved my bacon many many times.
People start out in front of me ,then see the light (pun intended) and stop dead in their tracks.

Worth every penny.
I run a Kissan Modulator and use it everytime I ride. It has saved my butt so many times I can't count. Everyone notices it and thinks I am a cop or something. When I am sitting in traffic, I turn it off sometimes. It is very easy to use. Highly recommend it.

Old 10-01-2009, 09:33 AM
KahunaJim
Tourer
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I drive a 68 ft. 80k pound truck. It's white with red and blue stripes and I ALWAYS have my headlights on and the stupid sh#t people do in front and around me is simply amazing. It's common knowledge when a car and a truck tangle the car looses yet they pull crazy *** stunts all the time, including left turns in front of me!

Like some of said it doesn't matter what you do....paint your bike neon or whatever, some people are just oblivious to whats going on around them. The ranks of the stupid and oblivious are growing everyday....all we can hope to do is try to co-exist with 'em and watch out for them cause they sure ain't looking out for us!

Quick Reply: Almost smacked by a car, need to be more visible