General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Gumby..I know you can answer this, anyone else who can please join in

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2009, 07:58 PM
pococj
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,296 Likes on 483 Posts

Originally Posted by TexasCowGrower
Understand??? The 64 thousand dollar question is... Can I install this setup on my 04 Heritage Softail? I've never really investigated the mechanism, but I've been enamored with the idea of owning one since I was in college in 1979 and an off duty cop got into a verbal altercation with a biker while driving down the boulevard in front of the college. When the biker finally had enough, he reached down to shift and leave the guy and the cop thought he was reaching for a gun and shot him off the bike!
Right now I know of only one company that makes a "kit" you could use to convert a Softail to a rocker clutch. That company is V-Twin, aka Taiwan Tedd. The kit includes the rocker pedal assembly, an spacer to mount it to your existing bracket, an adapter to allow the use of a clutch cable, and the clutch cable.

When I bought the kit I found the adapter wasn't properly designed to allow the cable to line up with the arm on the rocker assembly. I cobbed it together by cutting & making a couple pieces to make it fit. Next, the cable operates at an extreme angle right at the fitting on the adapter and causes excessive wear on the cable; I went through two cables in less than one summer of riding. Finally, the rocker pedal assembly literally fell apart one late night ride home. An insufficient weld broke, and I carried the damned thing in my lap, cable still attached to the tranny end, while riding 40 miles, banging gears as needed, rolling through stop signs & lights, cutting through parking lots, and generally trying to avoid getting smashed at intersections.

Avoid Taiwan Tedd! (Or ask Fab Kevin and a few other independent parts designers and manufacturers what they think of having their designs ripped off by Tedd, and then made overseas, and out of inferior materials and fabrication practices. Off rant!)

I rebuilt the pedal assembly and had a buddy weld everything. Then I tried, with the assistance of Buck of Goblin Millworx, and an adapter from Fab Kevin, to design a hydraulic rocker assembly. Never got it to work as a rocker clutch that would stay where you put it. It acted as a suicide clutch because of the hydraulic pressure. Additionally, the force required to operate the hydraulic clutch slave cylinder was too great with the poor mechanical advantage available.

Finally went to a LaBriola suicide clutch pedal. It is first class in both design, fit, finish, and function.

If you want to pursue a rocker clutch, find an original as DaddyKnuck suggested. But be prepared to shell out the bucks 'cause they are getting scarce, especially if in decent shape. If you go through any aftermarket company and purchase a rocker clutch, it will be from Taiwan Tedd. Tear it down and completely rebuild/reweld everything. Redesign the adapter plate, and redesign the cable attachment for a straighter pull, so it won't allow the cable to cut into the outer jacket every time you operate the clutch.

My 2 cents, with inflation!

Old 10-01-2009, 10:34 PM
Da Gumpmeister
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Terminology, as "I" was taught. (My Dad rode flatties in the 30's and 40's)
Clutches:
Rocker - self explanatory
Suicide - foot ON, clutch disengaged. Move yur foot, MOVIN'. Can be rod, cable or hydraulic actuated.
Mousetrap - Spring assist for converting rocker to hand.
Butcher - Clutch 'lever' is mounted to a tall shift lever, which runs inside your left leg, next to tank. Here's the "HOBO", built at Klock Werks.

Shifters:
Tank - again, self-explanatory
Police - mounts to frame downtube, can be used with gate (hand shift 'original' tranny lid) or without gate, ratchet top 4 speeds. Can also
be used with 5 speeds. This is the model if you have regular fatbobs,
and still want hand shift.
Jockey - handle is mounted to tranny shifter plate, both 4 and 5 speeds. The term "jockey" came from the 'appearance', like a 'jockey',
of 'whipping' the horse, ie, reaching down and behind.

Are they slow?? I don't know,. you B "Da Judge" o' that:
GRINGO on his 88" pan. One 'schweet' ride !!! (Best shot of it, right at the end.)
(Psst, turn the vol. up, GOOD TUNE, too.)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=01XG8LPM__I

IMHO, the 'quickest' shifter is a 4 spd ratchet top, with the shifter plate, reversed. It is now, 1 up, 3 down. Pretty hard to miss
2nd, 3rd or 4th. And here's what that looks like:
(NOTE shift linkage to tranny)

vs what they are 'stock':

BUT a beotch when you switch from one scoot to the other. One is 1 up, 3 dn, the other, 1 dn, 3 up.
ONLY gets chitty when you accidentally/mindlessly DOWNSHIFT instead of upshift !!!! DH

Definition of "hectic"; riding a Baby Blue w/White stripes, Sucker Punch Sally 103" dual throat Knuckle bobber, with suicide clutch, jockey shift, with only a rear disc brake, in downtown Mpls. "Xhileratin' " comes to mind, also. Sorta like a one armed wallpaper hanger, smokin' a cigarette.

Peeps 'aks' why would you convert to hand shift ?? I 'aks', Why wouldn't you?, IF'N that's what you want ?? No diff than driving a straight stick auto.
Granted, you do need to keep one foot on the ground, vs sittin' on your azz and daydreaming,
but if THAT'S what you want to do, git the H*LL off the scoot, IN THE FIRST PLACE !!!!

Can it be done? I tell my home remodel customers this, "The ONLY difference between the 'possible' and the 'impossible',
is a few hundred dollars and a couple of days". How far ya wanna go???

As Poco posted, TMK also, that is the only place to get the 'whole' kit. I've installed 2 of the rocker assemblies,
offered by V Twin and J&P. NOT OEM equip., but both are still 'functioning'. Others have reported, not so lucky.

I have kicked around the notion of putting a rocker and police shifter, on Black Betty,
but then I have just eliminated Momma's ability, to git on it, and go, if her Sporty is ever layed up.
BUT I love that ol' school set up.

A few years back, Momma and I ran acrossed a "Time Bandit". A 47 Knuck Replica, with a Flathead Power 113" and a Baker 6 spd.
The owners brother had a small machine shop in Mankato, Mn., who fabbed his clutch rod assy and shifter, which was a gateless ratchet, on the tank. So N E thang, is 'po$$ible'.

Last edited by Da Gumpmeister; 10-01-2009 at 10:49 PM.
Old 10-02-2009, 04:56 AM
dog155
Extreme HDF Member
Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

When I first started all my Harleys were the tank shifters,and I loved putting them up through gears.Once tried shifting off the trans,it did not fit my style at all.To each his own.Gump! that Pan of yours is a beauty.Sure brings back good memories.

Old 10-02-2009, 07:27 AM
John TN
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Gump I always say "anything can be done or built,,, it's just a matter of time and money",,, good explanation,,, enjoyed the video,,, I see this setup requires one more road lane for tire spinning take offs!!!

Originally Posted by Da Gumpmeister
Terminology, as "I" was taught. (My Dad rode flatties in the 30's and 40's)
Clutches:
Rocker - self explanatory
Suicide - foot ON, clutch disengaged. Move yur foot, MOVIN'. Can be rod, cable or hydraulic actuated.
Mousetrap - Spring assist for converting rocker to hand.
Butcher - Clutch 'lever' is mounted to a tall shift lever, which runs inside your left leg, next to tank. Here's the "HOBO", built at Klock Werks.

Can it be done? I tell my home remodel customers this, "The ONLY difference between the 'possible' and the 'impossible',
is a few hundred dollars and a couple of days". How far ya wanna go???

A few years back, Momma and I ran acrossed a "Time Bandit". A 47 Knuck Replica, with a Flathead Power 113" and a Baker 6 spd.
The owners brother had a small machine shop in Mankato, Mn., who fabbed his clutch rod assy and shifter, which was a gateless ratchet, on the tank. So N E thang, is 'po$$ible'.