General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Gumby..I know you can answer this, anyone else who can please join in

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2009, 06:21 PM
TexasCowGrower
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So, WHY would anyone want a clutch mechanism that is spring loaded and prone to release at any time? A buddy of mine describes these as "mousetraps" that are/were used by folks who couldn't operate the foot clutch normally. I'm thinking they were devised by mechanics and doctors who profited from all the broken parts, mechanical and human body, that were broken upon it's sudden engagement. Or...are you saying that if they operate in this manner, they are defective or maladjusted?

Old 10-01-2009, 06:25 PM
pococj
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,296 Likes on 483 Posts

Originally Posted by TexasCowGrower
So, WHY would anyone want a clutch mechanism that is spring loaded and prone to release at any time? A buddy of mine describes these as "mousetraps" that are/were used by folks who couldn't operate the foot clutch normally. I'm thinking they were devised by mechanics and doctors who profited from all the broken parts, mechanical and human body, that were broken upon it's sudden engagement. Or...are you saying that if they operate in this manner, they are defective or maladjusted?
They weren't mousetraps. They were rocker clutch pedals. A mousetrap is a device that was used on the first factory Big Twin hand clutch to provide a mechanical advantage. It was not ever used on a foot clutch.

Old 10-01-2009, 06:40 PM
DaddyKnuck
Extreme HDF Member
Received 1,664 Likes on 946 Posts

Getting a finger caught while adjusting a "mousetrap" is a good way to smash a digit up, but it's just uncomfortable, not fatal. Kind of like hitting your finger with a hammer. The spring clutch assist or booster (mousetrap) was needed when HD first went to a hand clutch. With the cables of the early '50s you needed forearms like Popeye to pull in the clutch without one. Lined cables, and mousetrap eliminators made them unneeded in the '60s. Now they're just funky. If you look at my rocker clutch pedal in the bottom photo you'll see it's in the forward "toe to go" position. This is the same as a hand clutch all the way out. If you could see the back side of the mechanism, you'd see a big nut that holds a fiber washer and a steel wave that adjust tension on the pedal. If the nut is losened or lost, the spring pulls the pedal to the back position which is the same as pulling a hand lever all the way in.

The current practice of using a hand shift on a modern bike is primarilyfor style in my opinion.

Mousetrap (on front left framerail)

Rocker clutch

Old 10-01-2009, 07:00 PM
Whackone
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Don't know if we will ever get them to understand. How long to polish the cases on the Knuck?

Old 10-01-2009, 07:08 PM
Moki Doug
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

And as someone mentioned on a hill with no front brake priceless

Old 10-01-2009, 07:09 PM
DaddyKnuck
Extreme HDF Member

Originally Posted by Whackone
Don't know if we will ever get them to understand. How long to polish the cases on the Knuck?
Not that long. Several hours, maybe 3 or 4. NOt hard to do when the cases are apart. I have a glass beader and clean them really good. An electric wheel and the right compounds cut well. I have to touch up the shine every now and then. That's a couple of hours with a Dremel.

Old 10-01-2009, 07:24 PM
TexasCowGrower
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Understand??? The 64 thousand dollar question is... Can I install this setup on my 04 Heritage Softail? I've never really investigated the mechanism, but I've been enamored with the idea of owning one since I was in college in 1979 and an off duty cop got into a verbal altercation with a biker while driving down the boulevard in front of the college. When the biker finally had enough, he reached down to shift and leave the guy and the cop thought he was reaching for a gun and shot him off the bike!

Old 10-01-2009, 07:27 PM
Whackone
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by DaddyKnuck
Not that long. Several hours, maybe 3 or 4. NOt hard to do when the cases are apart. I have a glass beader and clean them really good. An electric wheel and the right compounds cut well. I have to touch up the shine every now and then. That's a couple of hours with a Dremel.
Very nice!!

Old 10-01-2009, 07:28 PM
schumacher
Club Member
Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by softail04
mine was not a rachet top and you reached behind your let leg to shift my clucth was just a chain hooked to the release arm then to a pedal on the forward control.
the dist was turned back by a spring so no hand movement needed for that and yes we took off the front brake -because every body knew they were dangerous..
by the way same bike two diff engines one knuckle head one panhead

I like that. Nice bike

Old 10-01-2009, 07:29 PM
DaddyKnuck
Extreme HDF Member

Understand??? The 64 thousand dollar question is... Can I install this setup on my 04 Heritage Softail? I've never really investigated the mechanism, but I've been enamored with the idea of owning one since I was in college in 1979 and an off duty cop got into a verbal altercation with a biker while driving down the boulevard in front of the college. When the biker finally had enough, he reached down to shift and leave the guy and the cop thought he was reaching for a gun and shot him off the bike!
There are several companies selling bolt-on kits to give you a hand shift setup. As far as I know all of these use a suicide clutch pedal. If you're going to try a rocker, you'll have to do some fabricating, but it shouldn't be to tough. Start with a 45" pedal, it's designed to work with a cable.

Quick Reply: Gumby..I know you can answer this, anyone else who can please join in