General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Gumby..I know you can answer this, anyone else who can please join in

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2009, 05:13 PM
hdtwice
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by piasspj
If your new to bikes, stay away from it. Shifting is much easier (and quicker) the modern way.
No worries there...I have been riding my evos for the last 18 years so not exactly a new rider, but have no plans on making my bikes shift like that....although, it might be fun to try one day

Old 09-30-2009, 06:35 PM
Ole Coyote
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Left hand shift, left foot clutch and shift into neutral at stop signs. That's all there is to it.

Old 09-30-2009, 07:55 PM
GMbagger
Road Captain
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Why would you purposely mod a bike like that? Seems a bit backwards.

Old 09-30-2009, 08:08 PM
DaddyKnuck
Extreme HDF Member
Received 1,664 Likes on 946 Posts

Originally Posted by Whackone
Back in the day,
in order to get away from all the linkage as well as shift quicker, we would install a modified tank shifter bolted onto the linkage on the top of the transmission. There was a drum in the top transmission cover that would move the dogs in the trans. By eliminating the linkage and tank shifter we would shift behind our leg and do it much quicker. A suicide clutch was an unmodified HD clutch pedal that had a tension adjustment that would allow the foot clutch to be depressed and would remain depressed/disengaged without any pressure on it. It was called a suicide clutch because you never knew when the vibration would cause the clutch mechanism to engage without warning. We would cut the front portion of the stock rocker clutch mechanism off, remove the tensioning device and just have a foot clutch. At the same time we would remove the front brake just to create a little more of a challenge. LOL I rode this way for years but don't think I could do it now.

I agree, jockey shifter gets rid of linkage that slows shifting down, or can hang up between gears.

You have the operation of the rocker clutch pedal reversed. The default position for the pedal if the adjustment is too lose or fails is to the rear. This is the same as with a hand clutch pulled all the way in.

A "suicide" clutch like ones found on some old Indians, and many choppers, is just a clutch pedal ((like a car). Spring pressure holds it in place, and it's default position is the same as a hand clutch all the way out.

Even if you're going to jockey shift, a ratchet lid is far preferable on a four speed. A jockey lid is just too easy to slide through gears and you can get in a lot of trouble hitting 3rd hard from 1st. Most of the broken 4 spd. cases you'll find are from a 2nd gear retainer letting go under that kind of pressure.

Old 09-30-2009, 08:21 PM
pnshvl68
6th Gear

My brother built a bike that was suicide shift. That's great and all but he's never riden a Big Wheel let alone a regular bike.

Old 09-30-2009, 08:34 PM
softail04
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

mine was not a rachet top and you reached behind your let leg to shift my clucth was just a chain hooked to the release arm then to a pedal on the forward control.
the dist was turned back by a spring so no hand movement needed for that and yes we took off the front brake -because every body knew they were dangerous..
by the way same bike two diff engines one knuckle head one panhead

Attached Thumbnails Gumby..I know you can answer this, anyone else who can please join in-pan-head.jpg   Gumby..I know you can answer this, anyone else who can please join in-knuckle-head.jpg  
Old 09-30-2009, 09:18 PM
pococj
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,296 Likes on 483 Posts

My '78 FLH was a factory 3 speed w/reverse tranny, rocker clutch, and hand shift. It still had the old hand-shift tranny top. Pretty easy to ride, especially as the rocker clutch stays wherever you put it (when it's adjusted correctly).

My '87 FLST has a suicide clutch and a jockey shift. I had a rocker clutch on it for awhile, but it was an aftermarket POS and finally fell apart. (Nothing like riding 40 miles home at night with no clutch, and holding the remains of the clutch pedal and cable in your lap, while the other end is still fastened to the bike.) I made a hand shift lever and mount for it, but changed to the jockey lever when I canned the rocker pedal set-up.

My '07 XLN has a suicide clutch and the hand shift lever I had from the Softail. The lever just bolts to the stock shift lever, after rotating it to the 12 o'clock position.

A good rocker clutch pedal is easy to use. They're also getting harder to find. None of the repops I've seen were any good; bad welds, cheap stampings, etc. A suicide is a little harder. Remember to tell your passenger to lean over your right shoulder to whisper sweet nothings. Nothing like sitting at a light, left foot on the clutch pedal, right foot on the ground, and THE MAMA leans to the left!

Old 09-30-2009, 09:26 PM
Solitaree1
Road Master

Originally Posted by pococj

Nothing like sitting at a light, left foot on the clutch pedal, right foot on the ground, and THE MAMA leans to the left!

I was just thinking that...neutral at stops....

Old 09-30-2009, 11:51 PM
pococj
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,296 Likes on 483 Posts

Originally Posted by Solitaree1
I was just thinking that...neutral at stops....
I never go into neutral at a stop. Takes too long to get out of the way of the abundant idiots.

Old 10-01-2009, 03:20 AM
Solitaree1
Road Master

Originally Posted by pococj
I never go into neutral at a stop. Takes too long to get out of the way of the abundant idiots.
a catch 22...either the backseater tilts the wrong way, or you're stuck in neutral when you wanna be WOT...no real good choices there, save for educating the passenger.

Quick Reply: Gumby..I know you can answer this, anyone else who can please join in