General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Gumby..I know you can answer this, anyone else who can please join in

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2009, 03:52 PM
hdtwice
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Whackone
Back in the day,
in order to get away from all the linkage as well as shift quicker, we would install a modified tank shifter bolted onto the linkage on the top of the transmission. There was a drum in the top transmission cover that would move the dogs in the trans. By eliminating the linkage and tank shifter we would shift behind our leg and do it much quicker. A suicide clutch was an unmodified HD clutch pedal that had a tension adjustment that would allow the foot clutch to be depressed and would remain depressed/disengaged without any pressure on it. It was called a suicide clutch because you never knew when the vibration would cause the clutch mechanism to engage without warning. We would cut the front portion of the stock rocker clutch mechanism off, remove the tensioning device and just have a foot clutch. At the same time we would remove the front brake just to create a little more of a challenge. LOL I rode this way for years but don't think I could do it now.
Hey thanks Whackone....so if I understand you right..you would depress the clutch with your left foot,and then make the shift with your left hand..is that right?

Old 09-30-2009, 03:53 PM
DannyZ71
Extreme HDF Member
Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by hdtwice
Hey thanks Whackone....so if I understand you right..you would depress the clutch with your left foot,and then make the shift with your left hand..is that right?

Yep. Kinda like driving a car, in Japan.

Old 09-30-2009, 03:56 PM
hdtwice
Road Master

I guess it's like most things...you get used to it, but sitting here in the chair I try to put my hands and feet as if they were going to shift that way and it seems a confusing to say the least

Old 09-30-2009, 03:56 PM
Whackone
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Unless you were on an old Indian that is correct. Indians had a clutch on the left, shifter on the right.

Old 09-30-2009, 03:58 PM
hdtwice
Road Master

Originally Posted by Whackone
Unless you were on an old Indian that is correct. Indians had a clutch on the left, shifter on the right.
Oh $hit....let's hold off on the Indian lesson for now...still trying to get my head around the what you already told me

Old 09-30-2009, 03:59 PM
nevil
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,035 Likes on 773 Posts

Originally Posted by hdtwice
You guys are some characters....I look and see two responses to my thread and think "Alright, got an answer already"...nope...just ball scratching and fingerless gloves LOL
Just trying to keep you entertained until the someone who knows what they are talking about shows up.

Old 09-30-2009, 04:22 PM
Whackone
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Now when you got really trick, you would install a ratchet shiter lid and a short thow shifter and you could "Get 'Er Done" really fast.

Old 09-30-2009, 04:56 PM
oct1949
Club Member
Received 819 Likes on 805 Posts

don't get mixed up and clutch with the right foot..

Old 09-30-2009, 05:00 PM
piasspj
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 339 Likes on 195 Posts

If your new to bikes, stay away from it. Shifting is much easier (and quicker) the modern way.

Old 09-30-2009, 05:12 PM
IzzoQuazzo
Retired Admin

Received 9,041 Likes on 3,711 Posts

The Indians had their throttle on the left and the shifter on the right so a motorcycle cop could fire his gun with his right hand. Indian sold a lot of bikes to police departments because of this. They could be reversed, cuz my '46 Indian had the throttle on the right and the shifter on the left. Confused yet? I won't even get into the nuances of adjusting the spark advance on the left handgrip to get the timing right.

Quick Reply: Gumby..I know you can answer this, anyone else who can please join in