General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

what leather jacket to buy????

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2009, 06:47 AM
cadman311
Club Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have try alot of different leathers. I have 10 or more leather jackets. I ride year around and I like to let the real wet jackets dry out well before using them again. I have a great air force cold weather leather It's great for weather in the 20's. The harley jacket are nice with pocket for light armor. My girl bought me the FXRG this is a real nice leather but the cost was $500 with my discount. This jacket come with a liner that is a jacket by it's self. It has the vents to let the air flow in on warmer days. Now in the real cold weather I like my heated gear with the leather jacket on the out side. If you get a leather get something that your going to like because you will wear those thing out if you like it that much. But if you buy a jacket you do not care much for you may never see it after you hang it up. I have a Fox creek jacket it was a great deal on the jacket I might wear it two times a year but not for the bike it's more of a Poser type jacket it's good for a car ride.

Old 10-09-2009, 07:04 AM
dog155
Extreme HDF Member
Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

My first leather was the traditional biker jacket,the big lapels,chrome,made this jacket too uncomfortable for me.Since then have always had the jackets that zip to the top and snap at the neck.Toasty,with the right undergarmets.

Old 10-09-2009, 08:12 AM
mark10
Road Master
Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts

i bought the fxrg 3 years ago - and am glad i did. the other leathers that i have had are much older (30 yrs) and don't fit any more. they were heavy cow hide, but still usable by someone smaller than me. i can't compare the fxrg to others like foxcreek, etc. because i dont' have any of those. would i buy it again. yes.

here are my impressions :

PROS
- good quality
- soft, not still like some leathers
- mutliple pockets, inside and out
- sleeves are long and curved for riding
- sleeves zip up nicely
- vented front and back
- extra zipper to attach pants
- removable lining
- definitely warm. good with jacket and liner with just t-shirt under to around 50. need to add sweater or heavier shirt down to around 30. have used it around 25 and with layering was good to go.
- waterproof. have had it in the rain doing 70mph for miles straight and now leaking
- kidney belt
- armor in shoul
- looks good (IMHO) and feels good
- could try it on at the store. i have a difficult time buying online as things do fit differently .

CONS
- pricey
- heavy, not sure if this is a pro or a con, but it does weigh a lot
- can't use much above 70 degrees. if i have it on, i better be moving
- with liner, you have 3 things to zip up. can be cumbersone. have had some issues with the zippers, one of the three in particular, if i am not careful when i zip it up. it will come apart at the bottom if i don't align it correctly.
- made in china. this does bother some. have not checked into it on how it is made and processes and stuff like that. or where they get the leather from.