Notices
General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

what leather jacket to buy????

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2009, 08:49 PM
hog95023
Elite HDF Member
Received 161 Likes on 106 Posts

^^^^ thats the same place my buddy got his. the jacket is beefy and very nice, but the zipper does not seem to be that good compared to my jacket and others that I have seen. Their chaps are very thin too.

Old 10-01-2009, 04:55 AM
JohnnyBravo
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Curlybill
I stay away from any jacket that has uncovered metal in the front. If you should lean over or leave your buckle undone, it will scrape the paint right off your bike. My jacket has buckles on the side. And the zipper pulls sit under the zipper overlap.
Thats a great point...never even thought of that one....I am working on deal to trade my 24 foot rv for some custom tin work and you may have just saved my new paint!!!!!

Old 10-01-2009, 07:26 AM
tas_todd
Stellar HDF Member

Received 791 Likes on 384 Posts

Originally Posted by hog95023
^^^^ thats the same place my buddy got his. the jacket is beefy and very nice, but the zipper does not seem to be that good compared to my jacket and others that I have seen. Their chaps are very thin too.

I have one of their jackets and the zippers are the weakest part. It's got thick hide (weighs 7lbs) and all the features I wanted. If I had to do it all over again on a budget, I'd buy it again.

Old 10-01-2009, 10:31 PM
Captain Bligh
Road Captain
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Another vote here for Fox Creek. They make excellent products. I have the belt, and agree that it is useless.

Old 10-02-2009, 05:21 AM
JohnnyBravo
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Captain Bligh
Another vote here for Fox Creek. They make excellent products. I have the belt, and agree that it is useless.
thanks for the reply....if the belt is useless, Ill pass

Old 10-02-2009, 09:23 AM
firebrick
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Dont count out the traditional jacket with belt. Ive had many jackets and still like the traditional one the best. If you get the right size you can sinch that belt down to keep air from coming up underneath. And with the way the zipper is offset, i wear the collar down in the nice temps, and up when it gets cold. With the other style jacket that the zipper goes straight up, you gatta keep it zipped up all the way or that little piece at the top with the button will bang on your neck all day long.

Old 10-02-2009, 09:41 AM
mrsnipy
Cruiser
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

My biggest pet peve about biker jackets is how loose they make the cuffs when zipped up. the belt on the waist is decorational took mine off but all the ralley and shops I go to I havent found one with a jacket that the wind cant get up the sleves. I had a alterations shop tighten the cuffs up on my 2 jackets what a difference it make when it gets cold out.
Mrsnipy

Old 10-02-2009, 10:07 AM
petemac
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Another vote for Fox Creek Leather. I have two of their jackets and they're great quality at a good price. And made here in the USA.

Old 10-02-2009, 10:12 AM
dsavi
Advanced

Originally Posted by JohnnyBravo
I am about to drop a few hundred on a leather jacket and was wondering if any of you wear the classic biker type jacket.....with the waist belt........I plan on doing a lot of cold weather riding and was wondering if the belt is functional.....if its just for looks i dont really care for the look......but hey if it means staying warmer I would consider getting the classic biker jacket with belt

I had one of these and they're not very warm for heavy winter. I use a FXRG leather jacket when the weather gets cold...

Old 10-02-2009, 10:30 AM
ArizonaFalconer
Tourer

I have an HD Jacket that you can zip off the outer leather, leaving a mesh jacket underneath, but the leather on the outer edge of the arms, elbow, and shoulders across the back stays, it stays pretty cool in summer, even for AZ, and I just rode with it on my first cold morning this morning and it didnt' do to bad.

Quick Reply: what leather jacket to buy????