General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Do Helmets Have a Shelf Life

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2009 | 08:17 PM
peddler
|
Club Member
Default Do Helmets Have a Shelf Life

Not sure if this is the right place to post this thread but I've read the Touring Models forum for the past three years and respect the opinions of the HDForum members that frequent it.

Do helmets have a shelf life? I have a 3/4 helmet that is almost brand new but dates back to 1982...27 years ago. The helmet is DOT and Snell approved. I'm sure helmets have been improved considerably since 1982 but is there any reason to believe this helmet wouldn't be safe??

Interested in your opinion.

Old 09-29-2009 | 08:24 PM
Jay_bo
Novice

According to the local HD dealer, 3 years is all there good for. Also if its been droped its suposed to be replaced.

Old 09-29-2009 | 08:24 PM
whoop72
Tourer

if u do research on this issue, the supposed consensus is that they do have a shelf life, generally said to be 5 years.

Old 09-29-2009 | 08:26 PM
kwb377
Tourer

Alot depends on how and where it was stored, but I would be concerned with deterioration of the stitching on the straps, break down the the EPS liner and glue holding it together, etc.

You can get a decent DOT 3/4 helmet for less than $50 nowadays...I wouldn't chance it.

Old 09-29-2009 | 08:27 PM
Certified Drunk
Tourer

I wouldn't wear it, The helmet might look perfect but the foam inside is brittle and wouldn't protect your mug as good as a new one. 10¢ helmet = 10¢ head.
Just my 2¢

Suede Blue Man
HDF Community Team
Veteran: Army

I've never heard of the shells of any helmets changing over time but I've got an old bell helmet that I've had since '84 and the soft foam in it went bad years ago. As did the soft foam in my first helmet I got back in the early seventies.
The firm styrafoam remained the same but again it was the soft foam that went south and got ugly.

I haven't worn the bell since the early nineties but just keep it in storage for nostalgia.

Or maybe it's just the hoarder in me.

davewear
Road Warrior

they are given a shelf life because generally a helmet will have been dropped or the liner subject to contaminents within a 3-5 year period. there is no reason a helmet that has not been dropped and has been kept in an area away from paint/gas/etc fumes shouldn't be as good as it was new.

Old 09-29-2009 | 08:38 PM
bama6977
Road Captain

Damn...some times I hate the info on this site. New helmet time.

Old 09-29-2009 | 08:48 PM
ssihogdog
Road Captain

Originally Posted by Certified Drunk
I wouldn't wear it, The helmet might look perfect but the foam inside is brittle and wouldn't protect your mug as good as a new one. 10¢ helmet = 10¢ head.
Just my 2¢
+1..

Most helmet manufacturers recommend that, under normal use, you should replace your helmet every two to four years. If you notice any signs of damage before then, replace it sooner. As mentioned above, fiberglass helmets may crack or break if dropped. And, if you see any light brown spots near the rivets of a polycarbonate helmet, it is probably damaged and should be replaced.

Why replace a helmet every few years if it doesn't appear damaged? Its protective qualities may deteriorate over time. The interior padding compresses, offering less protection. The chin strap may fray or loosen at its attaching points. And the shell may be chipped or banged. Probably the best reason, however, is the constant improvements in design and protective qualities of helmets. Chances are the helmet you buy in a couple of years will be better than the one you have now - even if the cost is about the same.

Since 1974, all helmet manufacturers must stamp the month and date of production on the helmet's chin strap. If you can't remember when you bought your present helmet, just check the strap. If there's no date at all, you definitely should replace your helmet now.

Old 09-29-2009 | 08:52 PM
kwb377
Tourer
Smile

Originally Posted by bama6977
Damn...some times I hate the info on this site. New helmet time.
Well...if you're in the market for a new helmet, might I suggest...

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/gear-...-like-new.html

Quick Reply: Do Helmets Have a Shelf Life