General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Harley's MV Agusta Unveils New Models

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2009 | 12:06 AM
faber
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by codyshop
I was there when looking at Monsters. In all seriousness, do the same techs work on both? It looked like they had two service departments in the same building.
Who cares if they have the same techs working on both brands? The management created a business to provide full service to both Ducs and Harleys. At some level, the expertise exists there to manage a service shop for both.

But their Ducati business is pretty small, relative to their Harley business. So I imagine that some of their techs, if not most, are competent in both.

But if Agustas start showing up in select HD dealers, I'd be *real* wary of where I took it for servicing.

Old 09-30-2009 | 03:24 AM
Woody7
Cruiser

Originally Posted by carmencip
"Twist the Throttle" did a special on MV Augusta a few month ago. These are pretty special bikes and the guys that build them take a lot of pride in their product. All hand built. Somewhat cult like. They have been around forever...a great racing history...they closed shop for a period and the dude that brought them back got the famous Italian designer from Ducati to head up operations. He is like the Godfather of Italian crotchrockets. Forget his name. He designed the Brutale from ground up. The exhaust sound is really unique. Sound familiar??? Not my style but if Harley wants to diversify it is a top notch rocket by all means. Gotta have pretty deep pockets for one of these toys.
Saw the same show, the history of the Company and the passion those Guys have for every single part of the bikes was amazing. Wish the MoCo was the same.

Old 09-30-2009 | 12:38 PM
un3asyrider
Road Captain

Originally Posted by overhead
They are interesting bikes, not my thing but pretty cool none the less. I do have a question, why created two similar bikes on a similar chassis and only have a 100cc difference in displacement? I do not get that at all from a business perspective but I could be missing something.
think of it like this, why make a 883 and 1200 sporty? because of the ~30% price difference. same concept here.

Old 09-30-2009 | 03:13 PM
Jontall
Cruiser

They better sell them in Harley Davidson dealerships or they'll be out of business fast.

Old 09-30-2009 | 05:04 PM
leicafish
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by overhead
They are interesting bikes, not my thing but pretty cool none the less. I do have a question, why created two similar bikes on a similar chassis and only have a 100cc difference in displacement? I do not get that at all from a business perspective but I could be missing something.
It is not just so much a displacement issue but the torque and HP. Additionally the suspensions are also enhance and tweaked to almost a racing bike but street legal. These and Ducati"s are just awesome machines.

Harley we talk talk noise and chrome from Bub or Vance Hines. These talk about carbon fiber and titanium exhaust. You can even add titanium axle bolts and adjusters. True craftman quality.

Last edited by leicafish; 09-30-2009 at 05:08 PM.