General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sportsters, Dynas & Softails

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2009, 07:32 AM
Voony
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Sportsters, Dynas & Softails

Hello everyone!

First of all I would like to say how much I enjoy reading all of your posts on that forum. All these people loving HD sharing their stories, advices, pictures, etc, I think it's a wonderful community.

Secondly, I have a general question about those three families of HDs: Sportsters, Dynas and Softails. I couldn't find a thread that talks about the differences between the families with the search engine. So I apologize if it has already been said here.

I wonder what are the differences between all these three families of bikes, why one would buy a Sportster over a Dyna or Softail, what are the different usage for them, etc. Especially between the Dyna and Softail. I want a SB very badly, and I wonder what is the difference between like a Street Bob and a Rocker C (besides the look and the price tag). Is it the frame, the weight, the handling? Because well the engines are the same!

Thanks in advance to all what will take the time to answer my questions :-)

VOony.

Old 09-29-2009, 07:47 AM
jaysonL
Elite HDF Member
Received 17 Likes on 9 Posts

Softails have hidden rear suspension, to resemble a rigid frame. They have a rigid mounted motor that is counter balanced to reduce vibration, and also have the oil tank mounted under the seat.

Dynas have the exposed rear suspension, rubber mounted motor that isolates vibration with out the need for counter balancing. The oil pan is mounted under the bike as opposed to being mounted under the seat.

Sportsters are smaller, lighter framed, smaller motors, that are rubber mounted (since 2004) with exposed rear suspension, and the oil tank under the seat, similar to the Softails.

These are just the basic differences, keep reading, you'll find plenty of material to educate your self with on here.

Old 09-29-2009, 07:54 AM
piasspj
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 339 Likes on 195 Posts

Sportsters are a continuation of sport bikes from the 50s. High center of balance for high speed cornering. Engine is completely different from others.
Dynas are more of a cruiser style bike. Good for laid back riding, but still have decent cornering in the twisties. Dynas and touring bikes share the same unbalanced engine. Vibrates at low RPMs but smooths out as RPMs increase.
Softails are the definition of cruiser. More of a laid back riding style. Balanced motor (but based off the Dyna and Touring engine).

Old 09-29-2009, 08:16 AM
old skool1983
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

good info in both posts, i would also add small things like stability, the reason a dyna or a softail (more softail but dyna fits too) are considered more "cruising" bikes than the sporty is that they are also heavier and more stable bikes.

sportsters are also right side drive, quad cam bikes with the tranny and engine built together, also, from personal experience the sportster clutch is not as bullet proof as BT clutches. also smaller fuel capacity.

softails and dynas are twin cam bikes, tranny and engine seperate, kinda bulky, not the best for twisty roads (although the dyna is superior to the softail IMO on this topic) left side drive.

the sportster and dyna frames have the shocks mounted verticle so you get an up and down motion with suspension...more traditional

the softail shocks are mounted paralell to the road under the bike and give more of a sway motion. i have heard some say on supper slab it can almost make them sea sick.....i have never experience that though and the few guys i ride with who own them have never complained of it either

Old 09-29-2009, 08:48 AM
Voony
Outstanding HDF Member

Thanks for the first posters! Your post are very educating!

I never noticed that Softails have hidden rear suspensions....

old skool what do you mean by right and left side drive?

Old 09-29-2009, 08:54 AM
oldgeezer
Grand HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Softails are the coolest.

Old 09-29-2009, 09:32 AM
kudzu35
Road Master
Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

Voony he's refering to the where the transmission and the belt are located. This in turn requires the pipes to be relocated. To the rider, this may not matter a lot come point of sale.

Old 09-29-2009, 09:48 AM
skidder
Extreme HDF Member
Received 83 Likes on 76 Posts

The Dyna,s are to me kind of a purists ride. With any of the 3 styles you mentioned you can dress them up for touring with bags, windshield, seat, sissybar etc. Then undress it in a matter of minutes and you have yourself a great looking street rod cruiser bike. With any of the touring bikes except the ones with a windshield, you will always have that, a touring bike. It will never be a cruiser style because it has a fairing that stays put.Some have fairings that move with the steering, one has a fixed fairing, which is kind of strange looking.
With a Harley Davidson it,s all about options for some of us, for others such as the big touring bikes there are no options, they,ll always be touring bikes.

Old 09-29-2009, 10:11 AM
pococj
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,297 Likes on 484 Posts

Originally Posted by Voony
Thanks for the first posters! Your post are very educating!

I never noticed that Softails have hidden rear suspensions....

old skool what do you mean by right and left side drive?
I ain't old skool, just an ol' fart!

The Big Twin bikes - Dyna, Softail, Touring - have their rear drive belts on the left side. The Sportster line has its rear drive belt on the right side.

The Sportster is a "unit" drivetrain, meaning the engine and transmission share a case, even though the engine oil and transmission (and primary) oil are separate.

The Big Twin line has separate engine and transmission, even though they may be bolted together.

Check out the Harley "oh-fish-all" site and read up on the specs. Lotsa things will be explained. Then wander into your nearest HD shop and crawl around checking them out (the bikes, not the gals trying to sell you Motor Clothes"!). Wear old clothes, drool every now and then, and let a little snot drip down your face, then lick it back up. Doing all that will keep the salesmen away from you so you can look without interruption. Formulate your questions, head back home and change clothes, and wait a day or two before returning to the shop. Now ask questions of the salesman. If he appears to be BSing you you need to find another dealer.

Seriously, if you take the time to learn the specs and ID the bikes from pictures, go to a dealer and look at them in person. Having a little fore-knowledge will help your visual understanding.

Understand that HDs are heavy on tradition, with each improvement a slow evolution while still being rooted, at least visually, in the past. And that is sometimes the strongest and weakest point about HD.

Old 09-29-2009, 10:32 AM
Voony
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by pococj
I ain't old skool, just an ol' fart!

The Big Twin bikes - Dyna, Softail, Touring - have their rear drive belts on the left side. The Sportster line has its rear drive belt on the right side.

The Sportster is a "unit" drivetrain, meaning the engine and transmission share a case, even though the engine oil and transmission (and primary) oil are separate.

The Big Twin line has separate engine and transmission, even though they may be bolted together.

Check out the Harley "oh-fish-all" site and read up on the specs. Lotsa things will be explained. Then wander into your nearest HD shop and crawl around checking them out (the bikes, not the gals trying to sell you Motor Clothes"!). Wear old clothes, drool every now and then, and let a little snot drip down your face, then lick it back up. Doing all that will keep the salesmen away from you so you can look without interruption. Formulate your questions, head back home and change clothes, and wait a day or two before returning to the shop. Now ask questions of the salesman. If he appears to be BSing you you need to find another dealer.

Seriously, if you take the time to learn the specs and ID the bikes from pictures, go to a dealer and look at them in person. Having a little fore-knowledge will help your visual understanding.

Understand that HDs are heavy on tradition, with each improvement a slow evolution while still being rooted, at least visually, in the past. And that is sometimes the strongest and weakest point about HD.
This is that heavy tradition I love about HD. I want a HD, period. I want a SB, period. But before buying one (WHEN I will have the money), I want to make sure to explore all the families and models of HD.

I like the Dyna a lot because they indeed look to be a cross between a Sportster and a Softail. Meaning they are not too heavy but heavy enough to be stable and comfy, with the options to do whatever you want with them and transform them as you want. AFAIK.

P.S. prococj you cracked me up :-)

Quick Reply: Sportsters, Dynas & Softails