General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

really small profile DOT helmet

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2009, 12:54 PM
bama6977
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ordered ACC DOT yesterday from the factory. Was told 6 week back log. Ordered XL and ask them to reshape so the sides are not as tight. Hope it fits but the company has no questions return policy. Anyway super people to deal with and discount if you mention this site. I agree that if you are going to wear a helmet wear the real thing not pretend or novelty helmet.

Old 09-29-2009, 01:03 PM
1skrewsloose
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

I just got to thinking that if, and a big if, you did have a claim , could the insurance co. deny it if you were not wearing approved headgear??? Not my line of expertise, but we all know how this stuff can go, they'll do what they can not to pay a claim, shame to leave survivors alone and broke.

Old 09-29-2009, 01:34 PM
CRF
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by huffhuff
Looks like a good court case to me. NHSTA (DOT) has no requirement for a sticker beyond point of sale. It's so a buyer will be assured the helmet is approved. Just like the do not remove label on a mattress, point of sale only.
seriously??? I took one of those mattress tags off once and I've been in hiding ever since....had to change my identity and everything........you mean to tell me that the mattress cops aren't out looking for me??????????

Old 10-05-2009, 01:34 PM
casper gomez
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

fwiw, i ordered one and it came in today. looks nothing like the profile they took a picture of. and the inside is just some velcro and thin strips of foam rubber. not what i thought i was getting. back it goes.

Old 10-05-2009, 03:56 PM
stic2it
Road Captain

Yeah that Dot ACC is not all that, my helmet slides back on my head with a light push, no protecting the front of my head. With the extra wind it catches it pushes back on my head. The straps and clips don't stay put, I have to tape the damn strap down to get it to stay. I have tried moving everything with no change

Old 10-05-2009, 04:21 PM
frenchbiker
Elite HDF Member
Received 53 Likes on 48 Posts

Check HCI. I have one of their DOT Shorty helmets. They're light and small and don't give you a shroom or a ***** head. Much cheaper than ACC and I believe they're pretty much the same size.

http://www.helmetcityinternational.c...ets_1_prds.htm

Old 10-05-2009, 05:12 PM
Barrenmug
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by schumacher
no offense...but I would never even consider a non dot. To me anyways, if yer gonna wear a helmet, wear one that will actually do something when ya hit the ground
Thats fine and all but the only reason I wear anything is to humor the State reps that let the law stand. If I had the choice I wouldn't wear anything on my head, kinda like the younger days and some girl would tell you to put a helmet on. You put one on but wished it was your choice.(Always thought Johnson looked better without a helmet too) Not sayin anyone is right or wrong, jmho

Old 10-05-2009, 06:36 PM
BoomerBob
Elite HDF Member

I would check at carbonfiberhelmets.com as well. Not cheap but they are supposed to be the smallest and most comfortable DOT helmet available.

Old 10-05-2009, 06:46 PM
Slayer dude
Road Captain

Originally Posted by CRF
the ACC Carbon Fibre helmet comes in two versions - DOT and non-DOT. The DOT one is about as low profile as a DOT halemt is going to get but its not as compact as people would have you believe....its still quite a bit larger than the novelty ones (I have two friends who wear them and they really are big compared to the novelty lid that I wear) - that said they look decent and probably offer much better protection than the piece of crap I wear most of the time.

Their non-DOT version is more compact and quite a bit closer to the novelty ones in size. It also offers much better protection than a novelty lid due to its carbon fibre construction and superior padding. They tested it and apparently the only dot standard it doesn't meet is the "penetration" test which involved dropping a weighted metal spike from a certain height.....I"m thinking if you go head first into a metal spike you're pretty much fuc$ed no matter what you have strapped on your dome so I wouldn't base my purchase decision on that alone.

I was thinking of buying the non-dot version and slapping a dot sticker on it......best of all worlds
If you look at the picture of the guy wearing the DOT version, its the same picture as the nonDot. Just saying too good to be true the DOT is bigger but they didn't show that one.

Old 10-05-2009, 06:51 PM
stic2it
Road Captain

Originally Posted by BoomerBob
I would check at carbonfiberhelmets.com as well. Not cheap but they are supposed to be the smallest and most comfortable DOT helmet available.

LMAO, the DOT is not the helmet pictured above....My helmet looks nothing like this....from the same company

Quick Reply: really small profile DOT helmet