General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

really small profile DOT helmet

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2009, 10:22 PM
frankiefire702
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by CRF
the ACC Carbon Fibre helmet comes in two versions - DOT and non-DOT. The DOT one is about as low profile as a DOT halemt is going to get but its not as compact as people would have you believe....its still quite a bit larger than the novelty ones (I have two friends who wear them and they really are big compared to the novelty lid that I wear) - that said they look decent and probably offer much better protection than the piece of crap I wear most of the time.

Their non-DOT version is more compact and quite a bit closer to the novelty ones in size. It also offers much better protection than a novelty lid due to its carbon fibre construction and superior padding. They tested it and apparently the only dot standard it doesn't meet is the "penetration" test which involved dropping a weighted metal spike from a certain height.....I"m thinking if you go head first into a metal spike you're pretty much fuc$ed no matter what you have strapped on your dome so I wouldn't base my purchase decision on that alone.

I was thinking of buying the non-dot version and slapping a dot sticker on it......best of all worlds
This is the route I went. I got the non dot version. It fits nice and it is much better than the old plastic novelty I use to wear.

Old 09-29-2009, 06:40 AM
woodworking1
Road Master

I haven't been pulled over YET, but from what I was told, They MD state police are to stop anyone with a "small helmet that does not look legal" I hope I don't get any first hand experience with this. It is a fine and they can make you get a ride or another helmet.

Old 09-29-2009, 08:25 AM
casper gomez
Tourer

this is the picture they put up with the one on the left being the DOT and the non- DOT on the right.

Old 09-29-2009, 08:25 AM
casper gomez
Tourer

i could live with that i think.

Old 09-29-2009, 08:33 AM
schumacher
Club Member
Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

no offense...but I would never even consider a non dot. To me anyways, if yer gonna wear a helmet, wear one that will actually do something when ya hit the ground

Old 09-29-2009, 08:58 AM
rodnock
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by schumacher
no offense...but I would never even consider a non dot. To me anyways, if yer gonna wear a helmet, wear one that will actually do something when ya hit the ground
+1 on that! All this nonsense about if it makes your head look like a mushroom? Those non-dot skid lids make your head look like a *****. All kidding aside, If you are gonna wear a lid get the best protection you can afford.
The advantage of the carbon fiber helmets is the weight. In my opinion if the helmet is light and comfortable you are more inclined to wear it.
And finally, every persons head is different than the next person. So go out and try them on to find the fit that suits YOU best.

Old 09-29-2009, 11:44 AM
1skrewsloose
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

Can hardly believe some of the posts, like shu said, if the state requires it, get one that meets regs, would you skimp on a bullet proof vest if your job(life) depended on it??? Just for looks??? Maybe this is an age issue, when younger, helmet-no way- now, you bet your axx. Blind eye to safety, then use bungee cords for a seat belt in your cage. my .02

Old 09-29-2009, 12:11 PM
Fastfwd
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I really like my ACC……small and light like everyone says – plus it makes it easier to look over your shoulder to check traffic at speed before a lane change or whatever. I had a Bell Drifter and that thing felt like it was going to rip my head off. Forget about turning your head at highway speed with it.

Old 09-29-2009, 12:19 PM
CRF
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by schumacher
actually DOT is a completely bogus standard that isn't based on any kind of real world testing that I can tell......the difference between the DOT and non-DOT versions of the ACC lid are a couple of mm of padding....if looks are important to you and you don't like the feeling of the thing getting pulled off your head at hwy speeds then I say go with the non-DOT......in a crash it won't make a lick of difference which version you're wearing....just MHO

Old 09-29-2009, 12:44 PM
huffhuff
Road Warrior
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by woodworking1
I have the ACC carbon fiber from head trip. It is not as small as all the hype but definitely the smallest profile DOT I have found. As far as putting a DOT sticker on a not DOT helmet. Around here that is a steeper fine than just having the helmet w/ no sticker at all. I have had the ACC for about a month now and have only worn it once. I still like my peanut shell best!

Looks like a good court case to me. NHSTA (DOT) has no requirement for a sticker beyond point of sale. It's so a buyer will be assured the helmet is approved. Just like the do not remove label on a mattress, point of sale only.

Quick Reply: really small profile DOT helmet