General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

"Oh sh*t, what have I done?!" The story of the day I bought my Harley.

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2009, 09:26 AM
itsjasont
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default "Oh sh*t, what have I done?!" The story of the day I bought my Harley.

"Oh sh*t, what have I done?!" is what I thought to myself for two days after I bought my 09 RKC. It was a total impulse buy. I was at a Home Depot that happens to be next to a HD dealer and wandered in just to check out bikes. I had been thinking about picking up a RKC "one of these days" but I had no intention of buying a bike that day about a month ago.

Then I saw the pearl white/pewter RKC sitting in the showroom. I really loved the looks of that bike... Still, I don't make impulse purchases. I need to confirm the financials and just generally mentally prepare myself to make big purchases. Also, I research everything before I buy and I really know nothing about these things. Plus, there is no way in hell the wife will let me buy a $20k Harley. But what the hell, I figured I'd mention the bike to her and see what she says. She'll likely say no and life will go on.

Of course she said, "No" but for some reason I talked her into it - which wasn't that hard, actually. For you folks with kids, reminding your spouse of all the great memories you and your son can create riding a Harley together worked for me. Your mileage may vary ;-)

So at about 5:00 that evening we were signing the paperwork and the RKC was mine. That started two days of a queasy feeling stomach, sleepless nights and me saying over and over to myself, "Oh sh*t, what have I done?!" Don't get me wrong, it wasn't regret. It really goes back to the impulse buy. I didn't get the chance to mentally prepare myself and it took a few days to come to terms with it. I'm over it now and couldn't be happier with the bike.

Just thought I'd share. Anyone else have a similar story?

Old 09-28-2009, 09:36 AM
hullhorr
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 184 Likes on 182 Posts

I think everyone goes thru feelings of doubt on big purchases. Toy purchases probably more so than necessities like a house. At least you asked your wife first. On my last two bikes I took the "I'll buy and ask for forgiveness later" approach. She hasn't left so I guess it works. LOL!

Old 09-28-2009, 09:40 AM
itsjasont
Cruiser

Originally Posted by hullhorr
I think everyone goes thru feelings of doubt on big purchases. Toy purchases probably more so than necessities like a house. At least you asked your wife first. On my last two bikes I took the "I'll buy and ask for forgiveness later" approach. She hasn't left so I guess it works. LOL!
LOL, I did that with my car. She was not pleased. I think I've used my one "Get out of jail free" card with that one ;-)

Old 09-28-2009, 09:40 AM
Phrogman
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yeah, I had that feeling after the housing market tanked and I now realize that I'm so far underwater I need a scuba tank just to sit in my house...

Never about a bike purchase though.

Old 09-28-2009, 09:41 AM
Toypuller
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Navy
Received 5,295 Likes on 1,585 Posts

It wasn't the bike purchase that made you queasy.

It was the naked, new, bike in front of you and the realization on how much it was going to cost you in accessories.

The first 20 grand is the easy part.

Old 09-28-2009, 09:41 AM
69z28
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I too am an impulse buyer,I bought my 05 RKC that way.Dropped in the dealer on a Friday afternoon just as they were bringing it out.I didn't sleep much that night thinking about it and went in Sat. morning and bought it. I did the same thing last month when I saw the 2010 Ultra I have now. No self control is an expensive sickness.Now I have to buy all that chrome all over again.

Old 09-28-2009, 09:47 AM
dreamer65
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I ask my wife and i glad she said no a couple of times lol when she got her Jaguar then she turned to me and said you can buy your motorcycle the next day i was signing papers lol.
But by her tellig me no a few times i save about 1200 bucks because the "riding season" was winding down lol, Here in NC it nice 10 months of the year so i don't consider an end to the riding season. and yes even with her being ok with it I still had that feeling of OH SH*T WHAT DID I DO!!!
JUST ENJOY THE BIKE IT WILL PASS

Old 09-28-2009, 10:12 AM
jd533
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

cngrats on your new ride. The day after I paid off my old bike I was at the dealer signing paperwork on mine. I had to wait 2 weeks for them to get one in but I haven't looked back.

Old 09-28-2009, 10:30 AM
MidnitEvil
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 60 Likes on 51 Posts

Is this your first bike, or had you had other bikes before?

Old 09-28-2009, 10:35 AM
itsjasont
Cruiser

Originally Posted by MidnitEvil
Is this your first bike, or had you had other bikes before?
This is my 5th bike, first Harley. I traded in my Ducati for the RKC.

Quick Reply: "Oh sh*t, what have I done?!" The story of the day I bought my Harley.