General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Road Tools

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2009 | 10:18 AM
cdrich
|
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Road Tools

I have yet to find a tool kit to carry on the bike and am heading out on a 250 mile trip this weekend. My question is what tools should I carry with me? I plan on a screwdriver with changeable bits , torx heads, allen wrenches, crescent wrench, plug wrench. Is there anything else I should put in the bag?

No existing problems with my bike right now and I have been replacing quite a bit so I don't foresee anything sneaking up on me as I have been on quite a few hundred milers around the house without problem.

Old 09-27-2009 | 10:27 AM
oldairboater
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Small multi tool that fits most of the common fasteners on you bike[hd makes one]. Crescent wrench and pliers. Tire plugs if you have tubeless tires and a CO2 inflater[waste of space if you have tubes]. Screw driver with different bits. Small kit is better. There is a limit to what you can carry and how much you really can repair on the side of the road.

Old 09-27-2009 | 10:33 AM
bazam9s
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

1 ft piece of dental floss and 4 inches of duct tape. Pretty much all you neeed to fix anything. That's what my friend carries wherever he travels. My friend's name? Angus MacGyver.

Old 09-27-2009 | 10:48 AM
obonaven
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

tie wraps. Electrical tape (maybe in place of duct tape?)

Old 09-27-2009 | 10:49 AM
Eyeball Kid
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 358 Likes on 253 Posts

Often overlooked...

A flashlight. Or at least a couple glowsticks.

Old 09-27-2009 | 10:55 AM
dstegjas
Tourer
Received 43 Likes on 21 Posts

I just ordered this set about a month ago. It might be a little bit of an over kill, but I would rather have to much then to little when it comes to tools. I believe some from this site turned me on to these.

http://www.beza.biz/windzone/catalog/ek1hd

Jim

Old 09-27-2009 | 11:15 AM
obonaven
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I also have some rubber gloves. They have a dual purpose. When it is cold I can put them on under my gloves to try and keep my hands a bit warmer (which does not work too well in my opinion, but that can be discussed in another thread) and to keep any grease off my hands if I have to do anything on the bike that would get messy. I also have a few paper towels.

Old 09-27-2009 | 11:23 AM
DannyZ71
Extreme HDF Member
Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by obonaventure
I also have some rubber gloves. They have a dual purpose. When it is cold I can put them on under my gloves to try and keep my hands a bit warmer (which does not work too well in my opinion, but that can be discussed in another thread) and to keep any grease off my hands if I have to do anything on the bike that would get messy. I also have a few paper towels.
Try getting some just a tad big, and wear them OVER your gloves. That way your hands won't sweat quite as much, causing them to get cold, and they'll block the wind from penetrating the gloves.

Old 09-27-2009 | 11:32 AM
petemac
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

+1, I've had this tool kit for 3 years and it's very good quality.

Originally Posted by dstegjas
I just ordered this set about a month ago. It might be a little bit of an over kill, but I would rather have to much then to little when it comes to tools. I believe some from this site turned me on to these.

Jim

Old 09-27-2009 | 11:33 AM
cdrich
|
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by dstegjas

Jim
Got this one on my eBay watch list, down to this or a Cruz Tools set. Just haven't pulled the trigger yet.

Quick Reply: Road Tools