General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Road Tools

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2009 | 05:14 AM
obonaven
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by dabluesguy
If I'm riding with a guy and he starts putting on some rubber gloves I'm outta there.
How else do you propose I retrieve the flashlight?

Old 09-28-2009 | 08:14 AM
aviator
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

where the hell would you carry all that crap? you'd have no room for anything else. I's hate to think you're going on a 1000 mile trip.

all you need is your HOG towing card, a credit card and a cell phone.

Old 09-28-2009 | 08:32 AM
Healey2Harley
Road Master

+1 aviator, 2600 mile & 10 states this summer; didn't use any of the tools. Space is at a premium 2-up on long trips with a sporty. Even at 630 miles this weekend, space was still limited with camping gear. Good luck.

Old 09-28-2009 | 11:25 AM
bagman1
Grand HDF Member
Received 54 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by Healey2Harley
+1 aviator, 2600 mile & 10 states this summer; didn't use any of the tools. Space is at a premium 2-up on long trips with a sporty. Even at 630 miles this weekend, space was still limited with camping gear. Good luck.
Man what a journey that would be on a Sporty. Being the mechanic in the group I usually end up working on others bikes so I bring an assortment of tools and having a bagger with a tour pack and a T bag gives me lost of room. But then again we leave the wives at home on long trips.
FWIW. I have a complete set of torx, allen (sae &metric) both in straight and ball end and 3 small angled ratchets to put the bits in that is no bigger than a pack of cigarettes.

Old 09-28-2009 | 11:44 AM
oct1949
Club Member
Received 819 Likes on 805 Posts

I used to carry a set of wrenches up to 1" in a roll up pouch. anymore a 3/8' ' socket set up to 3/4 and a 3'' extension might be lighter in weight..

Old 09-28-2009 | 01:04 PM
karz10
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

I don't know if this link will work, but I learned about this little kit on this board about a year or so ago from Sears: http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_1...nics+Tool+Sets

Retails for $25, but often goes on sale for $20, like when I bought it...

Product Description

Set includes: MicroDrive GearWrench; Square End 1/4 in. Adapter; 5 pc. 6 pt. Metric Socket set; 5 pc. 6 pt. Standard Socket set; 18 pc. 1/4 in. Shank Bits set (3 Slotted, 3 Phillips, 6 Hex, 4 Torx, 2 Square); 5 pc. 5/16 in. Shank Bits set (2 Slotted, 1 Hex, 2 Torx).
  • Need as little as 6 degrees to turn a fastener
  • Reversing lever and thumb screw on each end
  • 1/4 in. MicroDriver for 1/4 in. bits
  • 5/16 in. MicroDriver for both 5/16 in. bits & 1/4 in. drive sockets
  • 15 degree Offset heads for knuckle clearance
  • All Metal Construction, Mirror Finish, Fully Hardened

As others had suggested on those other threads, I used a small black 'pleather' men's toiletry travel bag from wal-mart, and threw some other stuff in there too.

For me, mine has a couple compartments in it, so I stuffed this little kit into one pocket to help keep it from coming open (sometimes I kept a bungee wrapped around it too, it clicks to lock, but you know how that goes), then I put in some other stuff, off the top of my head I put in:

* Screw driver w/ detachable bits, that also work with the bits in the kit, giving me a couple ways to use the bits.

* Torx 27 bit as the kit only has certain bits in it, and I knew my bike had some T27s

* Small crescent wrench

* A couple extra adapters/swivels for sockets

* You could put in a beefier ratchet for the sockets if you want to, the supplied one works fine, but I started using it so much on other projects I did strip out the ratchet once over doing it, but sears replaced it no problem, if I just used it for side of the road repair, I prob would have had no problem, and even though I messed up one side, the other side could still run the bits/sockets w/ the adapter I have

* Pliers/wire cutter

* Electrical tape

* Wire ties

* Duct tape

* Small bungee cords

* spark plug guage

* Small tire pressure guage

* Flashlight

* Extra red/yellow turn bulbs (clear and smoked lenses so have colored bulbs), my taillight is LED so no extra bulbs needed there)

Then in another pocket, I'm keeping some personal items like emergency sized bug spray, bug bite itch eraser, sun screen, hand sanitizer, clean wipes in a little pack, hand warmers, I'm not sure what else, but I could also put some first aid type stuff in that pocket, just hadn't done it yet.

I have saddle bags obviously, so the container the tools are in didn't have to be anything special, I liked the travel toiletry bag idea because the one I got had a few pockets in it to help keep stuff separate, and was big enough to hold the tool kit, my extra tools and other stuff, while still taking up just one lower corner of one bag. I can still put towels, cold weather gear, rain suit, small half helmet, windshield cleaner, extra glasses, and other stuff in that same saddle bag.

Last edited by karz10; 09-28-2009 at 01:06 PM.
Old 09-28-2009 | 08:43 PM
cromagnon
Grand HDF Member
Received 59 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by karz10
Then in another pocket, I'm keeping some personal items like emergency sized bug spray, bug bite itch eraser, sun screen, hand sanitizer, clean wipes in a little pack, hand warmers, I'm not sure what else, but I could also put some first aid type stuff in that pocket, just hadn't done it yet.
Better throw in some condoms ... never know what you may run into on those long journeys.

Old 09-28-2009 | 08:57 PM
badwhine
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by cdrich
I have yet to find a tool kit to carry on the bike and am heading out on a 250 mile trip this weekend. My question is what tools should I carry with me? I plan on a screwdriver with changeable bits , torx heads, allen wrenches, crescent wrench, plug wrench. Is there anything else I should put in the bag?

No existing problems with my bike right now and I have been replacing quite a bit so I don't foresee anything sneaking up on me as I have been on quite a few hundred milers around the house without problem.
A ole lady with a good pair of walking shoes is the best tool. Tested and proven.

Old 09-28-2009 | 10:01 PM
Roosterboots
"Utopian Overlord"

A large, folding plastic sign that says "HELP".

Old 09-29-2009 | 10:59 AM
karz10
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by cromagnon
Better throw in some condoms ... never know what you may run into on those long journeys.
well, I wasn't gonna get into all that, but since you mentioned it... It does pay to be prepared...

Quick Reply: Road Tools