General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Do you ride without a license?

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2006, 01:00 PM
matt
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Do you ride without a license?

It seems I am a magnet for new riders, it's great to chat it up when you're at the store or whatever,but I am way surprised how many people are riding without a motorcycle license.They always have a great excuse, I believe it's important for all of us to be on the same page-what do you think?

Old 06-22-2006, 01:07 PM
liltrk
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Do you ride without a license?

Maybe I live a sheltered life, but everybody I know that rides has a license.

What is the penalty where you live for riding without? And what are the chances of getting stopped?

Old 06-22-2006, 01:09 PM
jt1965
Road Captain

If they are a new rider, I would say they do not have the experience to be on the road if they do not have a license. I do know some guys that have ridden for years that do not have a license mainly because when they started riding there was no motorcycle endorsement. And they want to stick it to the man.

Personally I feel if you ride you should at least have license and insurance.

Old 06-22-2006, 01:10 PM
oldgeezer
Grand HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Maybe that's why there are so many unskilled motorcycle riders. They don't bother to take the MSF, learn to ride the proper way or get their motorcycle license.

Old 06-22-2006, 01:10 PM
grunt
Extreme HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Would not even consider riding w/o license.

Old 06-22-2006, 01:16 PM
went_postal
Outstanding HDF Member

In Illinois I rode without a license for a couple of months. They do not make a big deal about it up there.

Here in NC... I believe that it is IMPOSSIBLE to even insure a bike without the endorsement. Heck... the dealership needed proof of the endorsement before I could leave with the Harley.

Old 06-22-2006, 01:18 PM
bikergirl40
Elite HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I don't know what it's like there, but here, if you drive without a licence and get caught, the fines are pretty stiff, if you don't pay the fine you go directly to jail ... (then try to apply for a job anytime thereafter...Pffffttt!) but that's the least of your worries...If you drive without a licence (and therefore logically you probably don't have insurance either) and are involved in an accident, well, you can be held personally liable for all damages rendered...even if the accident is not your fault. If you borrow someones bike and drive with out a licence then their insurance does not cover you.

THAT's a stupid chance to take...especially if you just trying to "stick it to the man"... In the end ... you're the one getting "schticked". I don't know if I would ever want to live so precariously as to gamble EVERYTHING I have worked my whole like for, not to mention all that my family has come to enjoy either...Like a home, clothing and food. You can litterally become destitute, unless you plan on never owning anything ever again.

Old 06-22-2006, 01:19 PM
FireHawk
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

In Oklahoma, back in the day(), it wasn't required to have a seperate license. Once I moved to AZ I discovered very quickly (after getting stopped for a burnt out tail light) that I needed an endorsement. Replaced the bulb, took the test and passed and got the endorsement and the Judge was very nice and dropped everything. Of course that was helped by me watching every other moron in front of her wanting to just tell their story when all she was asking for was the plead. (Gulity/Not Gulity)

Stood in front of the Judge, greeted her with a 'Good Morning, your honor', She responded and asked me how I pleaded, I responded 'Gulity, your honor.' and she said 'Ok, now lets hear your side of the story.' Total time in front of the Judge less than 10 minutes.

Observation can be a very good teacher.

Old 06-22-2006, 01:28 PM
PhilM
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Had mine since 1979... Guess I really never considered not having one....???....

Old 06-22-2006, 01:44 PM
Bluerose

Got one in the early 80s rode for about 5 years then didn't have a bike.
Moved to Virginia when ex-hubby was in the military and didn't notice they did not transfer the endorsement cause I didn't have a bike at the time. Moved back to CA and noticed it wasn't there....Got re-endorsed last year when I started to ride again. Should have done it sooner...now I pay high insurance for short time endorsement.

Hubby has ridden for years with out a license and even had insurance...He's in the class of had one let it lapse and has never been caught....made him get his license when I got mine

Quick Reply: Do you ride without a license?