General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Do you ride without a license?

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2006, 05:10 PM
06DEUCE
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Do you ride without a license?

i agree...get one ! but that doesn't mean we are all on the same page....if you know what im sayin..

Old 06-22-2006, 05:15 PM
Crux
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just like I wouldn't drive my car without it, I won't ride my bike without it.

I couldn't get insurance without the endorsement either. And naturally, HD wouldn't let me purchase my bike until I proved I had insurance. However, I bet if you bought your bike with cash, they wouldn't ask.

Old 06-22-2006, 05:18 PM
bikergirl40
Elite HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I agree! Nobody says someone who has a licence is a better driver.... not even a good driver for that matter. Just think of cagers... how many of those guys have licences... and shouldn't? But anyways.... having the proper credentials is a legality. Just a part of living in society. I'm a firm believer in doing things the easy way. I don't like to pay fines, and not particularily fond of the though of having to spend a single night in jail. Never been much of a gambler.

Old 06-22-2006, 05:24 PM
henryjw1
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Had one since '72. Never even thought about not having it!

Old 06-22-2006, 05:31 PM
HarleyWood
Outstanding HDF Member

I know some folks that don't...but i'm not sure how they get around it for insurance...my insurance company asked for a copy of my license with the endorsement when I bought the bike.

Old 06-22-2006, 05:33 PM
Vetter
Tourer

I've been riding since 1980, and I have my learners permit[:'(]. Sadly, I don't know anyone that has a cycle endorsement. Last year I road my bike down to take the test, with a buddy that was going to take it also, but they wouldn't let us, because we didn't have a licensed rider with us, so we road home[sm=smiley25.gif].
I just bought my wife a bike, and sent her down to take the MSF course last weekend, she passed, so now I guess I'm legal! I'll be taking the road test within the next few weeks.
I am insured regardless if I have a endorsement or not, my insurance didn't require the endorsement, I called and asked. The first insurance company did, and cancelled me.

Old 06-22-2006, 05:40 PM
bikergirl40
Elite HDF Member

ORIGINAL: HarleyWood

I know some folks that don't...but i'm not sure how they get around it for insurance...my insurance company asked for a copy of my license with the endorsement when I bought the bike.
That confuses me too. Insurance companies here, need a copy of a drivers abstract in order to calculate their premium. How long a person has had their licence and infractions are just a few factors involved to determine a risk factor, thus an insurance rate (premium).

Old 06-22-2006, 05:40 PM
DanDeuce
Road Captain

Have had mine since 1970 , even during the 15 years I did not ride I kept it up to date , just in case !

Old 06-22-2006, 05:50 PM
Basz
Road Master

I was suprised too! I know many unlicensed riders.

After years off from riding and letting my motorcycle endorsment laps - The wife & I took the class and got re-endorsed.

Not all - but some of these guys that are too proud to take the class and get the endorsment could use the instruction the most. [:'(]

Old 06-22-2006, 05:56 PM
bikergirl40
Elite HDF Member

I took a course too, a couple of years back. Mostly as a refresher. I have had my licence for about 25 yrs already. But, I was sooooo impressed with what I learned at this course.

The people that took this course, when I was there, ranged from beginners (never been on a bike or maybe just starting to ride) to experienced guys that just wanted to update their skills a little, cause they were starting to drive again after a period of not riding (a refresher)...like myself.

We all learned something. I would recommend a course for any level of experience. Those boneheads who have waaaayyyyy tooo much confidence in their riding skills, could even learn something too. One of the things a person COULD actually learn, is wwwaaaayyyy too much confidence can be deadly!

Quick Reply: Do you ride without a license?