General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oxygenated or Nitrogenated fuel?

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2009, 03:02 PM
Sanders
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oxygenated or Nitrogenated fuel?

Has anyone tried the Shell Nitrogen enhanced fuel vs. other Oxygenated fuels and found there to be a difference? A couple guys I ride with swear the Shell fuel gives them a little more horsepower and makes their engines run smoother.

Personally, I can't tell that there is a difference.

Old 09-24-2009, 03:12 PM
SeeNoSun
Tourer

Originally Posted by Sanders
Has anyone tried the Shell Nitrogen enhanced fuel vs. other Oxygenated fuels and found there to be a difference? A couple guys I ride with swear the Shell fuel gives them a little more horsepower and makes their engines run smoother.

Personally, I can't tell that there is a difference.
i love shell gasoline. I try to use it all the time. Got some bad Exxon gas on my way back from DELMARVA bike week. Ran almost all of the bad gas out yesterday and then added shell. My bike ran perfect after that. Smoother at idle and cruising speeds. Lots of pep!

Best gas available for HD IMHO!

Old 09-24-2009, 04:17 PM
OldFenderGuy
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

I run regular ole BP 92 octane gas in my bikes.... Where I live you aren't forced to buy the 'blended crap', and regular straight gas is still available.

Anyway, this is what Harley says in my Softail Manual dealing with various fuels;

Gasoline Blends;

Your motorcycle was designed to get best performance and efficiency using unleaded gasoline. Most gasoline sold in the United States is blended with alcohol and/or either, to create oxygenated blends. The type and amount of alcohol or either added to the fuel is important.

CAUTION; Do not use gaoline that contains methanol. Doing so may result in fuel system component failure, engine damage and/or equipment malfunction.

* Gasoline containing METHYL TERTIARY BUTYL ETHER (MTBE): Gasoline/MTBE blends are a mixture of gasoline and as much as 15% MTBE. Gasoline/MTBE blends can be used in your motorcycle.

* ETHANOL is a mixture of 10% ethanol (Grain alcohol) and 90% unleaded gasoline. Gasoline/ethanol blends can be used in your motorcycle if the ethanol content does not exceed 10%.

* REFORMULATED OR OXYGENATED GASOLINES (RFG): Reformulated gasoline is a term used to describe gasoline blends that are specifically designed to burn cleaner than other types of gasoline, leaving fewer tailpipe emissons. they are also formulated to evaporate less when you are filling your tank. Reformulated gasolineuse additives to oxygenate the gas. Your motorcycle will run normally using this type of gas and Harley Davidson recommends you use it when possible, as an aid to cleaner air in our environment.

You may find that some gasoline blends adversely affect the starting, driveability or fuel efficiency of your motorcycle. If you experience one or more of these problems, its recommended you operate your motorcycle on straight unleaded gasoline.

Old 09-24-2009, 04:21 PM
will2002
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2,132 Likes on 1,030 Posts

I've tried it in a Harley Ultra TC88 and a Dodge 1500 PU V-8 and found that I get better "MPG" with the Shell.----- It amounted to about 10%/12 in both engines.

Old 09-24-2009, 04:42 PM
Mr.Softy
Grand HDF Member

Received 1,244 Likes on 738 Posts

I've not used Shell so I have to ask does this have 10% ethanol?

Old 09-24-2009, 05:00 PM
vtwin1340
Club Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Rider1200
I've not used Shell so I have to ask does this have 10% ethanol?
Depends on your area and station. It should be disclosed on the pump if the fuel contains ethanol.

Old 09-24-2009, 05:10 PM
SeeNoSun
Tourer

i'm in the DC area and all gas around here has 10% ethanol.

Old 09-24-2009, 06:45 PM
seniorsuperglideE8
Supporter

Received 4,761 Likes on 2,530 Posts

The 10% affects fuel mileage on most bikes, affected mine while we were in New York. When we went thru canada we drove the speed limits +5 didn't have that big of an impact. The engine noticed the diff. between the Sunoco 10% and the real Shell coming home.

Old 09-24-2009, 07:17 PM
Intrepid175
Road Warrior

I've run a lot of Shell gasoline through my 09 Ultra. I've also run quite a bit of Phillips 66/Conoco through it as well as Exxon, Chevron, and probably few others. Honestly, I've not been able to tell a difference in performance with any of them. My bike is factory stock and runs just fine! My mileage has been fairly consistent but there are a lot of variables that can effect that so if I have a tank that's unusually low or high, I don't tend to blame it on the gasoline alone.

FWIW!
Ride Safe,
Steve R.

Old 09-24-2009, 07:28 PM
El Rey
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by vtwin1340
Depends on your area and station. It should be disclosed on the pump if the fuel contains ethanol.
Very true. If you are in the DC metro counties of VA like;

Arlington, Fairfax and Loudon counties then yes, E10 Ethanol gas.

But out west of Prince William county, they are on straight conventional gas.

Quick Reply: Oxygenated or Nitrogenated fuel?