General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need help with a bike NEW RIDER

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2009, 03:48 PM
hullhorr
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 184 Likes on 182 Posts

Very few if any dealers will let you demo a bike whether your 20 or 50. Look for a demo days at a dealer, that's your best bet short of renting some.

I think a Sportster would be a good choice economically for a student and zipping around LI. If money is not that big a deal go for a Dyna.

Old 09-24-2009, 03:54 PM
JJ Aquaman
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow I was not expecting this at all ... This is in direct condradition with what everyone around here has told me ...

Im even more confused then I was before ... this adds a whole new variable to the equation

And oct 1949 thanks I did not even know that. The guy at the dealer must have been bsing me. Probally didn't think I was serious ... his loss

Old 09-24-2009, 04:00 PM
JJ Aquaman
6th Gear

Originally Posted by hullhorr
Very few if any dealers will let you demo a bike whether your 20 or 50. Look for a demo days at a dealer, that's your best bet short of renting some.

I think a Sportster would be a good choice economically for a student and zipping around LI. If money is not that big a deal go for a Dyna.
Money is a big deal but when you factor in how long I plan on keeping the bike (Excluding any extenuating circumstances). I plan on buying and keeping it for a while.

And one thing that will **** me off is if a buy it and want something with more power a year or two later and end up taking a 1-2 grand hit on it.

So everyones opinion of a sporty is kinda throwing everything I was thinking about into the wind again.

Old 09-24-2009, 04:09 PM
Fastfwd
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Do what you want, but in ‘only’ a year I rode 10,000 miles on my Nightster and felt like the experience was invaluable in progressing into my Dyna. I certainly wouldn’t worry about losing a couple grand on the deal if you end up selling it. I personally would place a priority on my safety and not try to start out on one of the biggest bikes made.

You might well get a Big Twin and never have any issues at all. I know a lot of people here have done it and I’m sure they will chime in.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

Old 09-24-2009, 04:14 PM
xldme
Intermediate
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by honestbob
I'm with fastfwd on this one. Pick up a decent 883 for 4 or 5 grand and when you're ready to move up you should be able to get your money back.
With honest bob>>>>x2

Old 09-24-2009, 04:19 PM
piggy
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

AQUAMAN welcome ., from another long islander. Ive NO advice on what to buy, BUT when ya DO< I'll show ya the hot spots. Tastes change, Get what ya want, with what you can afford.

Old 09-24-2009, 04:20 PM
JJ Aquaman
6th Gear

Originally Posted by Fastfwd
Do what you want, but in ‘only’ a year I rode 10,000 miles on my Nightster and felt like the experience was invaluable in progressing into my Dyna. I certainly wouldn’t worry about losing a couple grand on the deal if you end up selling it. I personally would place a priority on my safety and not try to start out on one of the biggest bikes made.

You might well get a Big Twin and never have any issues at all. I know a lot of people here have done it and I’m sure they will chime in.

Good luck with whatever you decide.
Yea deffinately I understand where your coming from. Orginally I was looking at sportys and a bunch of people that I know that ride told me to forget about it and go big twin. And to be honest everyone here has more riding experience than me with half a summer on a tiny eliminator.

Just now instead of clearing up it just gets more complicated ...

And everyone thank you for your opinions I appriciate everyones two cents

Old 09-24-2009, 04:32 PM
rallen
Cruiser

I had a Sporty for 2 years and traded it in for a Fat Boy. The Sporty was fun for riding around town, but very uncomfortable for more that 30 minutes or so. Of course, my butt is old and cracked, so it may be an age thing. The difference in the Fatty is night and Day. It is a lot more stable and more comfortable, and higher priced. I am glad I got it and wish I had started out on it. I had ridden years ago and got back in after 25 years of not riding. The thing about a Sporty is when it comes to aftermarket parts, Softails are king, not so much for the Sporty, even though it has been out for 50 years. If you decide to go with a Sporty, go used, that way you won't take a hit when you trade up. Mine was a like new '07 883C with around 4,000 miles on it and I got less than $6K trade in.

Old 09-24-2009, 04:56 PM
HD7585
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I rode a sportster for 10 yeare and never did get tired of it. Wish i still had it...........along with my FXST

Old 09-24-2009, 04:57 PM
Nellybelle
Road Warrior

My dealer will let you ride any bike he has in his demo fleet anytime.
Just have to have MC endorsement and Sign a wavier of liability and injury.
They let me come in a ride the 07 Ultra twice before I bought it. Get in to a dealer that has a demo fleet tell them you may want to try a couple of different bikes and may want to do it two or three evenings.

I went to my dealer about 3:30PM. He said he closed at 7:00PM and don't make him come looking for me as a joke.

I bought the Ultra and a 1200L for my wife. My son the bought a 2008 Ultra.
A good dealer will treat you right. Good Luck

Quick Reply: Need help with a bike NEW RIDER