General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Old fashioned dealers

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2009, 09:42 AM
Retrop
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 127 Likes on 84 Posts
Default Old fashioned dealers

Does anyone have what you would call an "old fashioned Harley dealer" left in their area. What I mean is one that is still in an older building in a less than desirable location. I think the MOCO is not renewing the franchises of the older dealers who refuse to build new monuments to their egos. Most of the ones we see today are of the new multi million dollar variety located in the high rent and traffic locations. Anybody still got an old time dealer in their area, and if so, how are they doing?

Old 09-24-2009, 09:52 AM
VTwin-Goodies
Sponsor
Received 1,949 Likes on 1,933 Posts

It's all about "the Benjamins" now a days. There are some around here that have not converted yet though.

Old 09-24-2009, 10:04 AM
tlmitchell
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Retrop
Does anyone have what you would call an "old fashioned Harley dealer" left in their area. What I mean is one that is still in an older building in a less than desirable location. I think the MOCO is not renewing the franchises of the older dealers who refuse to build new monuments to their egos. Most of the ones we see today are of the new multi million dollar variety located in the high rent and traffic locations. Anybody still got an old time dealer in their area, and if so, how are they doing?
Carleton's H-D in Mantua, OH is about as close as you'll get to "old time" these days. They're still in their long-time building away from the 4-lane and have lots of grease and "charactor" in the shop. They still work on EVOs, Shovels and Pans.

No sales drones or managers all over the place, when you buy a bike you talk to the person with their name over the door. They seem to be doing fine, their allocation isn't huge but they sell all they get and peddle snowmobiles in the winter.

I've got another dealer near me in Warren, OH that has an "old time" attitude despite their new building. There's isn't a huge boutique but it's still stuffed full of chrome and Motorclothes. Although I've tried repeatedly I've never been able to buy a bike there. Although it's still family-run the Sales Manager isn't fond of dealing. Their service and parts depts are top-notch though! Nobody screams "insurance regulations" when you walk back in the shop to talk to the techs that're happy to share hints and tips as well as explain what they're doing to your sled.

Compared to the rest of the world I'm extremely fortunate to have one dealer near me where I can buy right and another where the service and parts folks are there to help and know what they're talking about.

TL

Old 09-24-2009, 10:08 AM
petemac
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Yep, there's one about 15 minutes from me. It's in an old small building and they have so little room they need to move the bikes outside during the day for display. Very small parts and clothes dept and gaging by the dust, things don't sell very quickly. Personally, and I know it's probably not the popular opinion, but I prefer the big, high dollar HD stores. More fun to walk around and check stuff out.

Old 09-24-2009, 10:50 AM
Da Gumpmeister
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

TMK, Belmont (Howard, SUPER GUY !!!!!) HD on W. 7th in St Paul, was the "LAST" of the Ol' School dealers 'round here.

I was their mailman for a few years back in the early 80's. They STILL had panheads for sale, that they'd roll out front onto the sidewalk.
Howard wore flannel shirts and blue jeans. And they didn't have Harley "pet supplies" for sale there. BUT they did have a BIG AZZT dog hangin' 'round the shop. A teddy bear of a dog, BUT you didn't know that, when he looked you IN THE EYE !!! SOB looked like a horse, NOT a dog !

They also had an old Coke cooler (water bath type) full of Schmidt beerskis, cause the Schmidt brewery was only a few blocks away, on W 7th, and the boyz that worked there(brewery), bought their scoots from Howard. SO ALWAYS plenty of "Schmidt Big Mouth" bottles in the cooler. Price was .25 a bottle, HONOR SYSTEM !!!!. Needless to say, there were ALWAYS a few bikers hangin' out in the shop area, sittin' on the ancient couch back there, suckin' cool ones, tellin' "road stories".
Course, they WERE bikers, so, that turned into this,

DAMMT, now I am all 'homesick' for "THOSE DAYS" !!!!!! (Don't drink none mo', BUT I will 'twist' one in memory of Belmont HD, AMEN !!!! )

Old 09-24-2009, 11:27 AM
k&j eglide
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There is still one of these in metro Detroit. While you're feeling nostalgic, consider this. In the past, those "old school" dealers wouldn't give you the time of day if you weren't a blue collar white male. All they had to do to sell H-D's production run was light up the bar and shield sign. As a customer, you had to play the get to know you game, buy a couple of bikes at MSRP before they would maybe treat you like a valued customer. What has grown the brand into what it is today has been marketing. The dealers that have invested in upgraded facilities know how to play that game. Earlier this season I was in the "old school" dealership, purely due to their proximity to my job. Parts counter worker #1 is crying the blues to a customer about how all the auto plant closings have hurt their sales (this place is SURROUNDED by big three facilities, several closed) while parts counter worker #2 is refusing me a 10% courtesy discount on a case of Syn3. Do you think I'm going to miss the place when the the MoCo says it's time to upgrade? Fact is, they don't owe me anything and can choose to do business how ever they want. I can also be a smart consumer and find oil at less than $11 a quart.

Old 09-24-2009, 11:36 AM
Gutman
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I am still one. At the same sight since 1958. My Grandfather starter as a Harley dealer in 1936. Only have 13 employees. bikes at MSRP (always), free coffee and popcorn everyday. Added on in 1997, no monument. Will work on ANYTHING manufactured by Harley-Davidson. Ring-ding's, Pan, Knuck, Shovel, Evo, etc. Function and satisfaction are the priority. Check out the website www.gutterridgehd.com

Last edited by Gutman; 09-24-2009 at 11:45 AM.
Old 09-24-2009, 11:47 AM
Da Gumpmeister
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Gutman
I am still one. At the same sight since 1958. My Grandfather starter as a Harley dealer in 1936. Only have 13 employees. bikes at MSRP (always), free coffee and popcorn everyday. Added on in 1997, no monument. Will work on ANYTHING manufactured by Harley-Davidson. Ring-ding's, Pan, Knuck, Shovel, Evo, etc. Function and satisfaction are the priority. Check out the website www.gutterridgehd.com

A kid that FLAT TRACKS, AND now THIS ?????

ROAD TRIP !!!!!!!!!

Old 09-24-2009, 11:49 AM
Harley_Dude
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 102 Likes on 68 Posts

Yep mine is still old school, but in a good location. I was so pissed when A.D. Farrow Co. HD in Columbus, OH closed the old location for their fugly new building. Was there back in the early 90's and walked 3-4 miles to get there. It was the coolest little old building, made it worth the walk. Had a virtual museum with all the old bikes on display. I know of a couple old ones in Illinois but they may be gone now.

"I am still one. At the same sight since 1958."
Cool, I'll stop in next time by. When's the road trip Gumby? I know of a few other old school dealers along the way.

Last edited by Harley_Dude; 09-24-2009 at 11:56 AM.
Old 09-24-2009, 01:11 PM
frog13
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Harley_Dude
Yep mine is still old school, but in a good location. I was so pissed when A.D. Farrow Co. HD in Columbus, OH closed the old location for their fugly new building. Was there back in the early 90's and walked 3-4 miles to get there. It was the coolest little old building, made it worth the walk. Had a virtual museum with all the old bikes on display. I know of a couple old ones in Illinois but they may be gone now.

"I am still one. At the same sight since 1958."
Cool, I'll stop in next time by. When's the road trip Gumby? I know of a few other old school dealers along the way.
If someone sets a date for a road trip, post here and count me in! Our last "old school" shop I know of around my new home moved to their mega-mall last year. Back in NW Ohio the only one I know of left was Roeder's original in Monroeville and now they're gone, too. Man, I remember them rainy days in the past where the shop closed at 5 and we were still sucking beers and BS'in in the showroom late into the evening.

Quick Reply: Old fashioned dealers